Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
laj

now there's a very responsible pet owner. I commend you on your integrity, and personal pride.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #16

It's just not in parks. I had a neighbor across the street who like to let his dog run across into my yard to take a dump whilst he retrieved his morning paper. One day I was waiting for him. I got a shovel, scooped it up and flung it across the street, it landing at his feet! That was the last time that happened.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know I do for sure laj!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Not to get off the subject, but I think the problem of pets pooping on lawns is mainly due to the fact that the owners have these extendable leashes that allow the dog to roam almost at will. We only use a 6' standard leash that keeps our dog in complete control and she is not allowed to go on lawns or flower beds. In our park, the dog run is about 100 yds away and she has learned that she is only allowed to pee/poop there and will hold "it" until we get there. In other unfamiliar parks, the short leash will keep her in control (and moving) until we do get to a designated spot. She is not allowed to stop to pee/poop along the way. Once she has done her business, then on the return trip back to the mh, she is allowed to stop and sniff to her heart's desire.

So yes, you can control when and where your dog will pee/poop. It's all in the training. Be responsible!

Ron
I don't think the problem is an extra 4-6 feet of a retractable leash. The problem is not every dog is the same. Some are older and cannot 'hold it' Some have health issues.

It never ceases to amaze me how people superimpose their truly unique and individualized situation to the masses.

Wish we all had that kind of control Ron. I know I have problems getting to the potty sometime, let alone my 80+ year old (in human years) yorkie.

You are truly blessed to have that kind of control and attention over your pet....
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I don't think the problem is an extra 4-6 feet of a retractable leash. The problem is not every dog is the same. Some are older and cannot 'hold it' Some have health issues.
And then there are the ones that are quicker than lightning. Turn the other way for a moment and...Pow!
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dog Drop

My DW and I travel with a Beagle (who is old and quiet) and a Brittany (also quiet). They are both very respectful of others and even other dogs. My DW and I will always pick up after the dogs when they have to go. Anyone who has ever stepped in that mess (never met someone who has not at least once) would never consider leaving it behind for someone to step in.
Would love to figure a way to impose a 25.00 fine for violations of campground rules for not picking up after your dog. I suppose the alternative would be progressive options up to and including removal from the campground.
Dogs owners need to be respectful in many ways. Non-dog owners also need to respect that all dogs even if small may not be up to petting or children of all ages.
Can't we all do the right thing and get along? Why ruin a great day of camping by letting it go to s____t.
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a guy that walks by the S&B everyday and I have yelled I have asked politely even stopped him to talk to him about the days events. Worked all last summer now with winter and the snow banks @ the end of the Driveway has yellow snow not white, only driveway in the whole block with yellow snow. Gee Thanks.
Our girls (small) are on a 6 foot lead. They also are not allowed to go on the neighbors yards, they go in the street if they can't make it to the park ( Training) Once we get to the park.Then we pick up as needed also. They even give out Poo bags @ the Park Free
We also have been training them not to bark as people walk by the MH or are out sitting with them. It aggravates me more than them I'm sure. Sometimes I will pick it up with a shovel and throw it in the street let them walk in it at night.
Payback is a bitc-
JS,tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #22

iRV2 No Limits Club
If you want to go to the trouble of consistent feeding times with a quality feed, you can train most dogs to "go" on command. Of course there are exceptions. (age, health, etc.)

Most all police/security dogs are trained to do so.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #23

We own two dogs and I would classify myself as a responsible pet owner. One of the things I most enjoy about rving is being able to take frequent and sometimes lengthy walks with my pets. Unfortunately my dogs are not on a set schedule and being in unfamiliar surroundings have a tendency to relieve themselves at unpredictable times but I can assure you that I pick-up after them each and every time.

I have a different opinion regarding dog parks. For me a dog park is a safe place to allow my pets to run and play unleashed. Having said that I do not feel that it is a designated potty area. If those that think a dog park is a potty station what do you do in cases in which dog parks are not available and what do you do when traveling? Surely you do not make your pets hold it until a dog park can be located...

In addition..do not assume that if you don't see a poop bag that one is not being carried. I personally not only have a poop bag dispenser on our leash handles but I also carry anti-bacterial handwash for myself.

I think irresponsible rv pet owners are the minority and not the majority. As in every walk of life the bad ones seem to set the impression for all of us good ones.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

It never ceases to amaze me how people superimpose their truly unique and individualized situation to the masses.

Wish we all had that kind of control Ron. I know I have problems getting to the potty sometime, let alone my 80+ year old (in human years) yorkie.

You are truly blessed to have that kind of control and attention over your pet....
I'm not blessed, I'm just a pet owner who has taken the time and effort to train my dog.

When a pet is allowed to move away from it's owner 10 - 20 feet, it is NOT under control and can squat (or lift a leg) faster than you can blink your eye. However, if that pet is right beside you with the leash taut, it will not have the opportunity to do anything you don't want it to do.

Pet owner's who allow their pets to roam about while walking is NOT being responsible or respectful to others. From the smallest, to the largest or youngest to oldest....they need to be trained. They are much smarter than you think they are and will learn very quickly what is expected of them and will act accordingly.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just trying to point out that all dogs are trainable.....all of them. It's your responsibility as a pet owner to make your pet is well mannered and responsive to your desires.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I pick up after my dog, every time no matter where or when, if I am caught w/o a bag I seek one or find another solution, (paper cup etc.

So with some authority I say it is extremely rude for pet owners not to pick up after their pet. There is simply no excuse and they bring unwanted attention to those of us who are responsible. However, I meet them all the time. When I see it occur I offer a bag. I have even bagged crap not belonging to my pet so someone will not step in it. My efforts have gotten me a ration of vitriol in return even though I have been pleasant. Some people just do not get it and those folks should not own pets period.

In conjunction with other comments I have even seen dog owners neglect this at off leash parks which are provided as a community service so we can enjoy our dogs.

IN the end it does not matter whether your dog is a disciplined pooper or not when it does you are responsible, no s__t.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #26

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like this goes along with all good camping rules "Carry it in, Carry it out"! Nuff said, JUST CLEAN IT UP!
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #27
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

Personal way? What does that mean?
means the offender is dealt with directly. two ways have already been mentioned. I'll leave it there.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I'm not blessed, I'm just a pet owner who has taken the time and effort to train my dog.

When a pet is allowed to move away from it's owner 10 - 20 feet, it is NOT under control and can squat (or lift a leg) faster than you can blink your eye. However, if that pet is right beside you with the leash taut, it will not have the opportunity to do anything you don't want it to do.

Pet owner's who allow their pets to roam about while walking is NOT being responsible or respectful to others. From the smallest, to the largest or youngest to oldest....they need to be trained. They are much smarter than you think they are and will learn very quickly what is expected of them and will act accordingly.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just trying to point out that all dogs are trainable.....all of them. It's your responsibility as a pet owner to make your pet is well mannered and responsive to your desires.

Ron
Sorry to hear you aren't blessed. I do feel blessed most of the time.

Sounds great Ron! Unfortunately, ALL dogs are NOT trainable.

Any time one uses those global words, ALL, NEVER, ALWAYS, they forget, there is always an exception....see, I just used always.......

I'm not arguing with you at all, I believe MOST dogs can be trained, and agree with you on that.

Unfortunately, dogs with bowel and bladder issues, infections, stones, urinary tract problems, kidney disease, vestibular issues, blind, deaf, etc, don't fall in to the ALL DOGS CAN BE TRAINED.....ALL OF THEM category.