Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Read a few threads about best dogs for RV'ing but I haven't seen (read) anything about boxers. I have one now (11 months old) that was basically dumped on us by my daughter who couldn't handle her anymore (not with going to college and working full-time). We got her when she was about 4 months old and have been coming along with us on weekend camping trips. Now that she's getting bigger (56 lbs), she's becoming quite a handful but we loved her and enjoy her company. My question is - anybody out there with a boxer can offer some insight on what to expect with this breed? Thanks in advance.

Rom
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Read a few threads about best dogs for RV'ing but I haven't seen (read) anything about boxers. I have one now (11 months old) that was basically dumped on us by my daughter who couldn't handle her anymore (not with going to college and working full-time). We got her when she was about 4 months old and have been coming along with us on weekend camping trips. Now that she's getting bigger (56 lbs), she's becoming quite a handful but we loved her and enjoy her company. My question is - anybody out there with a boxer can offer some insight on what to expect with this breed? Thanks in advance.

Rom
Old 03-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
my family had boxers when I was a kid, they are
great dogs. They are just like any other dog, protective but gentle. If I had to compare then
with other dogs I'd say more like a golden retreiver type personality wise. They are very
loyal.
cameo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My question is - anybody out there with a boxer can offer some insight on what to expect with this breed? Thanks in advance.

Rom,
Boxers are great dogs. WE also had them when I was a kid. However that being said, they are also VERY energetic, playful, and can be stubborn. They need walks--alot of them or time to run and play. They need obedience training also--the positive kind.
They are loyal and love to snuggle with their people. They are a working breed so they can be protective. Of course you probably already know they can snore and can clear a room...
Here are a couple of websites that can tell you more:
http://americanboxerclub.org/
http://www.hoabc.org/
Best of luck and by the way, crate train her if you haven't already.

karen of:
mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the insights. mom2mastiffs got it nailed right on the head - she is Very, very energetic, playful and stubborn at times. Since we got her from my DD, DW and I have considered her as our GD. My DD already had her in 1 obedience class but I feel she might need another one. And she is already crate-trained - I can't drive the MH if she's not in the crate, she'd like to sit on my lap. Hopefully, she'll mature (disposition-wise) by next winter when we'll drive to Yuma.

Rom
Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rom:
Hopefully, she'll mature (disposition-wise) by next winter when we'll drive to Yuma.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try when she's about 7 years old

They are great dogs though
mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
jfb

Suggest watching DOG WHISPERER on the National Geographic Channel. Big question: who is the pack leader.....
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
jfb: Friends have been telling me about the "Dog Whisperer" but haven't had the chance yet to watch. As to who is the pack leader, my DW would undoubtedly say it's me - wherever I go inside or outside the house, she's always following, even when I thought she's sleeping, when I leave the room, in a second she's behind me, still yawning. Now, that's a follower.

Rom
Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #9

Any large breed dog needs disclipin in their life. This is very important especially in breeds that are naturally strong willed or aggressive.How does she behave on a leash? If she pulls a lot, try a haltie. And be really sure to ONLY use a strong leash of short length. Those reel ones are the worst thing in the world for training a dog properly. All dogs needs to be at your side at all times when on a leash.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like serendipity to me... dog needed a good companion, you and DW did too! Have fun! Got pictures?

Brenda, of...
Old 03-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #11

Boxers think they are part of the family. When you are up, they are up, you want to be outside they want to be outside too. We always made sure we had crated them for the times we were not in the MH, or when we were sleepy. They get used to it. We traveled with 2 1 male & 1 female. When they were outside they both wanted to protect. I guess they thought if someone walks past, he is on our property. Also, the front curtain of the MH had plenty of little holes where they could put their neck out. But when we traveled, they laid down behind the seats and slept. We would travel with them again if we could camp

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:50 AM   #12

Rom, we also have a grandpuppy boxer from our daughter. She is staying with us while her mom serves in the Marine Corps. She is energetic, happy and a joy to have around. Although, she enjoys tissues from the trash, deodorant and other smelly things. We have travelled with her in our 40 foot MH for the last year (we don't full-time) and she has been terrific. She has learned to lay between the seats and stays there unless she needs to be out of the MH to do her business. We usually try to stop at 2 hour intervals for the walk and business. It makes a nice break for us as well...yes, travel is slower. When camped she stays inside unless we are out; she remains on her leash or a cable that only allows her to roam about 10' from center; we take several long walks a day to meet new friends, but always under control. As you know, they will lead you if you don't take that control. We have left her for hours (up to 5) in the MH without supervision and have found that if we "puppy-proof" first by stowing all food products, trash cans, and personal care items...she is fine. She is much happier if we have curtains up so that she can observe the other campers. She doesn't bark at anyone, but goes from window to window to check them out. She will sit in the driver's seat and takes in all activity. She is always happy to see us return and greats us with lots of "circles"...have you noticed those? By the way, she will be two this summer. Training is a must! We are still working on the official training...coming along but with her ADHD it is an ongoing endeavor! Have fun!!
Old 03-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to all for not getting back to this thread sooner - just got back from camping with Bella (our GD boxer/bulldog mix-just got cleared up from my DD about her actual lineage) Anyway, Bsavage-sorry no pictures yet, still learning how to post pics; 450Donn-I'm OK if I'm walking/running w/her although sometimes she'd like to go the other way. But with her and DW, it's sometimes funny (to me) to look at since they'll be testing each other. One time while I was checking in at the Park Office, DW had her and when I returned, DW had wrapped her arms in a lampost while Bella is straining from her leash to follow me. It's another funnyt episode inside the MH since she would like to sit on the co-pilots and when DW is trying to re-claim her sit, they'll be pushing each other, so she (Bella) gets banished on her cage. She is really fun and DW is enjoying her too! David and Fran-we haven't really left her alone in the MH yet. When go to a long trip, maybe we'll try. Thanks to all for your suggestions/advice.

Rom