Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
this is a really tough one.
I am a dog lover.
Dog's love me too. They understand immediately that i am the alpha, and I am their friend. I've never feared any dog, and I've never been treated poorly by any dog.

But I've seen it happen to my wife, and my children, and many others. They can tell, no doubt. They are smart critters.

We have 2 dogs. Riley is a 2 year old norwegian elkhound, unaltered male. he is the kindest sweetest dog anyone could ever have, and I trust him without question. All children are encouraged to say hi to riley, to play with him, to be loved be him. he is that good.

Our other dog, an 8 month old fixed male husky, is still "working on his manners" I don't think he will ever hurt anyone. and everyone thinks he is just the cutest ever (the blue eyes get them...) but we are still teaching him,and as long as all these people want to pet him in the campground, we will let it happen while continuing to try to teach him not to jump up on people, to sit quietly and absorb their love like Riley does.

A previous Elkhound, fixed male, while almost as sweet at riley, had a rap sheet, including biting 2 kids and a mailman that got too close....

I'm not real sure the moral of the story, but be careful with your dogs. train them well, socialize them as best you can. If they are too protective, just don't take them to campgrounds, please.

A "good campground dog" should be 100% trustworthy when a strange 6 year old is trying to climb on his back for a ride.

Anything less is too much of a chance to take
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I was totally unaware of the law / rule that a persons dog had to be compatible with everyone in a campground. Where is that written so I may look that up? I was also unaware that children are expected and perhaps encouraged to try to ride bareback on an animal unknown to them and that is acceptable behavior. I guess parents are teaching their kids differently today. When I was growing up, I was taught to respect peoples privacy and property and not to approach a strange animal. to me, that's just common sense.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
I was totally unaware of the law / rule that a persons dog had to be compatible with everyone in a campground. Where is that written so I may look that up? I was also unaware that children are expected and perhaps encouraged to try to ride bareback on an animal unknown to them and that is acceptable behavior. I guess parents are teaching their kids differently today. When I was growing up, I was taught to respect peoples privacy and property and not to approach a strange animal. to me, that's just common sense.
What world do you live in in which children of every age don't do some unexpected things from time to time, it's called childhood for a reason
By the way I always tell children to ask before they approach my dogs, no actual need as my dogs are socialized with people and dogs, cats pretty much everything, as mentioned before they know the people are higher in the pecking order than they.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
What world do you live in in which children of every age don't do some unexpected things from time to time, it's called childhood for a reason
By the way I always tell children to ask before they approach my dogs, no actual need as my dogs are socialized with people and dogs, cats pretty much everything, as mentioned before they know the people are higher in the pecking order than they.
UM...I think the poster was exhibiting a bit exaggeration to make a point...didn't you get it?

To use the same argument you use regarding children then we should ban RVs from CGs because children will do unexpected things and run across the road and get hurt. Don't we tell children to look both ways first?

I think your point about socializing dogs is an important topic. But I also think that ANYONE expecting 100% socialized dogs to be part of any CG is asking for something that ain't gonna happen. Hell, there are PEOPLE that are less socialized than many dogs but we aren't saying they don't belong in a CG...yet.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I was totally unaware of the law / rule that a persons dog had to be compatible with everyone in a campground. ...
OH...it HAS to written somewhere on the internet and we all know that if it is on the internet is must be true.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
OH...it HAS to written somewhere on the internet and we all know that if it is on the internet is must be true.
I'll check Wikipedia since we all know what is printed there is the gospel truth.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #49

Since I was only trying to bring up an issue I've run across lately, and folks are justifying not socializing dogs (for their own good) as well as fellow campers I guess I'm
DONE
Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #50
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Henderson,
Personally I think socializing dogs is a good thing. There were a lot of good points brought up in the thread, and some not so good. I think each of us has to make a decision and just what we want our dog to be. I wish my dog was more friendly to other dogs, but since her being attacked once that may never happen again. However, she is very friendly to other people and children. Even then, I will grab up on the leash and keep it very, very short when someone approaches. I watch her attitude because you just never know what will trigger an animal to react. I always make children ask to pet her.

Thanks for the thread.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #51

Quote:
LOL, I do not intend to start a war here on this thread, just trying to vent like all others, but according to statistics, a german sheppard is the breed most likely to bite you and leads the list in dog bites. however, the pit bull leads the list in serious injuries / fatalities. I love all dogs, and once had a tenant who had one and she was a lovable lump. But as with any dog regardless of breed or size, they can and sometimes do turn on their masters / family members, so I appoach EVERY dog with caution.
There I hope not too many are offended.

not offended at all. the pit does do more damage when they bite then little dog. I was just trying to say its not the breed its how you raise them.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just my 2 cents, but I don't care what breed, or mix a dog is, all dogs are capable of biting, it just takes the right trigger to do it. I read this thread, and have a few thoughts, what on earth is a 6 year old doing running around a campground without supervision? Dogs also get a bit edgy when they are in new territory. Dogs do need to be socialized, but you should still never leave any dog outside unsupervised in a campground. I also don't care if your dog barks at me, or growls when I walk by, I figure they are letting me know they are there.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #53

Our Sheltie that recently died was rescued after being on his own for about eight months. We were never able to train or re-train him to not be initially aggressive to other dogs. We don't know what, if anything, happened to him to cause him to be the way he was. He was otherwise a wonderful dog that we unfortunately had to keep on a short leash when around other dogs and meeting new people. Once he did the meet and greet, he was never aggressive. We just met another camper who is having similar issues with her Pekinese, since she was a puppy. Again, training has not helped.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #54

Thor Owners Club
we adopted two rescue dogs. The male when we got him went berserk around other dogs and the female was extremely submissive. Over the years the male has quieted down and I've put him into a submissive position a few times and managed to get him to "tolerate" the presence of friends dogs. But I wouldn't trust him around kids. He flys off the handle for no reason and without warning. We love him but I Know his limitations and respect that. Like Ceasar on the dog whisperer relates, Dogs want a pack leader and you owe it too your dog not to treat him like a human but be a pack leader. I've learned more from these two rescue dogs than any other dog. Great dogs but I know their limitations. As for controlling kids running around the CG, thats what kids do. I would rather know my son was running around outside than sitting inside playing video games. But the subtle difference would be my son was taught to be respectful and polite and some kids today are not and are brought up believing they are the equal of adults and carry a big pocket of entitlement. Be friend to your child and not do the tough job of being a parent see how well that works.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
As for controlling kids running around the CG, thats what kids do. I would rather know my son was running around outside than sitting inside playing video games.
Watch those COE campgrounds if you have children or dogs. No one is enforcing the leash rules or stool pick-up rules. I had a long talk with the host of a COE near Nashville TN this past week and said Host claims the situation is getting worse each year. No one is enforcing the rules because the dog owners become "agitated" (Host's word) when asked to leash their dogs and they don't feel safe approaching some of the owners. When they do, they find the dogs loose again the next day.

There was dog feces at the sandy beach area and in several other places. There were four different campers there who allowed their dogs to run loose. Two of these campers had more than one dog. We carried Pepper-Spray when we took our twice daily walks.

A woman was attacked at another COE CG we stayed at this year. I suppose it will take someone getting killed or severely injured before anything is done about these dog owners who refuse to follow the rules.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are on Schnauzers # 4 and #5. each one had their own personality and were socialized differently. #1 loved kids and would head for the nearest group any tine he go a chance.

#2 was a very timid guy and would put up a big bluffing bark, but as soon as you said BOO at him, he was behind you to be protected. He was also convenced that schnauzer melted when they got wet.

#3 was a big friend schnauzer and loved everyone, people or dogs. He did have a very definite dislike for scruffy people and pit bull or a mix pit bull.

#4 is a rescue and as a result we did not know here as a youngster. She was about 3 when we got her. She has a real dislike for kids under about 7 or 8 years old. Too noisy and move too fast. Anyone that will rub her ears or tummy is her buddy for life.

#5 is almost 3 years old and loves all people and most dogs. Larger dogs do intimidate her, but she does great with them otherwise.

I every case, we introduced them to other pets and people at their own pace and all are well socialized. None of them have been allowed to run off leash.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote