Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #1

Question Solo RVing with Pets

I am thinking about solo Rving and I have 3 small dogs. What do you do with them when you have to go in to a grocery store or want to go to a restaurant? Do you leave them in the RV with the generator on to keep them cool or warm (depending on the weather)? I posted this on the solo forum but thought I would here as well. Someone mentioned that you could leave them in the rig as long as the generator was running.. Suppose the generator stops working --are they pretty reliable and stay coll enough? Thanks for any advice.
THobgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I am in a decent Campground and have to leave the dog, 1, I put a sign on the door telling someone to rescue the dog in case of an emergency . 2, tell the office people that you will be gone and to rescue the dog if need be. 3 , Tell a neighboring camper of your plans and what to do in case of a problem.
Depending on the situation, I will either leave the door unlocked or give the office or your neighbor, a key.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #3

The campgrounds we've seen specified you COULD NOT leave your pet in your RV. We had a real problem with that, had to take our dogs in a crate everywhere we went. Back in 2007 we were camped right outside a small town in an Rv park that forbade leaving your pets. We were outside sitting around, the dogs chained near us, when we remembered the next day was Memorial Day and we hadn't gotten any food plus the stores would be closing early this day. All four of us jumped in the truck and took off in a hurry--forgetting the dogs chained up outside--at home they have a doggie door so we forgot them. When we got back...we never heard the end of it. The neighbors kids had been treated to a breeding display by a stray monster dog attacking our full bred bitch whom I had not realized was in season. (I hadn't had her spayed because I was in a breeding program, only not that kind!) Three months later we were treated to 6 puppies we had to give to the SPCA. I would never travel again with an intact ANYTHING.
Wanderchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
To me this is a total non-issue. I have solo traveled and hunted all over (mostly in the west) with my two Brittany bird dogs in various motorhomes – in more recent years, a 39’ diesel Journey.

First, this is only a problem in the summer or in hot places. Next, the dogs are almost always with me, because that is the whole point of my trips. Finally, on the rare occasions I must leave them alone in the MH, I am usually not gone long enough that the interior of the MH would overheat, even if there was some sort of a failure.

So, situations in which the dogs are left alone in the MH for long periods in sufficient heat to cause a problem are very rare. Even then, I am not concerned in the least.

I would never leave them outside in their ex-pen when I am gone. I'm not concerned about their behavior, but I am MOST concerned about the behaviour of other people and their pets.

My dogs are working dogs as well as beloved pets and are very well trained. Among other things, they will not bark when left alone I the MH (barking dogs left alone in an RV in a crowded campground are a real annoyance, IMO!).

If we are at a place with hook-ups, obviously the A/C will be run off shore power, but I also set my generator so that it will come on automatically if there is a shore power failure (I don’t know, but suspect that most generators have that setting). That has happened a few times and the generator picks up seamlessly. If we are boondocking way out on the high plains or some such (so the noise/fumes won’t bother anyone), I just run the big diesel generator. I guess there’s always a first time for everything, but it is dead stone reliable, has never even stuttered, let alone failed. Therefore, I figure that the chance of it failing sufficiently soon after I left that the MH would heat up to dangerous temperatures before I returned are virtually zero.
Birddogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #5

One additional suggestion would be adding dog cooling pads in case your auto generator start (AGS) doesn't work.

They have pads you can put ice in, gel pads, and electrically cooled pads (use a very small inverter running directly from the battery).

We're probably all paranoid about our pets? Birddogman makes perfect sense though ... and I should not be paranoid ...
Old 11-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #6

I go to dog shows mutiple times a month. While we just got a rv and have only traveled by car so far, when we go into a store, we cool down the car while traveling then run battery operated fans and park in the shade. Now this is ONLY if we know it won't get too hot in there. Also, crack your windows. As far as traveling in the cold, heat the inside then give them a blanket. Most dogs will adjust (think about those who live outside).
BHodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #7

A cold car is a fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHodges View Post
I go to dog shows mutiple times a month. While we just got a rv and have only traveled by car so far, when we go into a store, we cool down the car while traveling then run battery operated fans and park in the shade. Now this is ONLY if we know it won't get too hot in there. Also, crack your windows. As far as traveling in the cold, heat the inside then give them a blanket. Most dogs will adjust (think about those who live outside).
I have read that a car turns into a refrigerator when it gets cold, you're better off outside-- without the heater running of.course. Once we were camping on the beach in California when It got down to 30 degrees in the night. I put the kids in the car thinking I was doing them a favor. A few hours later I got too cold in the tent and climbed into the car with them, turned on the heater as it was almost morning. Good thing; They were freezing. I read later you will freeze faster in a car than anywhere. I guess bc it's up off the ground and all metal with very little insulation since it isnt a house.
Wanderchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving