Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Hi Dan L,
I have used this water bowl, even in my car, since 1979 and never had a water spill. This way, when I'm traveling, my fur-kids always have water.

Amazon.com: Waterhole Dish: Home & Garden

Sheila
i purchased a NO-SPILL water bowl made by duralast from my local PETSMART store today for $4.99. it looks similar to the amazon.com bowl.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two Cats as well.. The first year we kept 'em in a cage.. Kind of a very large, medium soft sided (Plastic fence) crate over 4 feet long by 4 feet wide by 4 feet high which we assemble over the dining table so they have some freedom, and some protection.

Wife whined and complained how much work it was to put that up and take it down every time we parked (She's good at that)

So now we let 'em roam

They have figured out how to get under the bed when the slide is in and go there to hide... No problem. No danger, they stay out of the way and are secure. Of course if they don't come out when we put the slides out.... They are STUCK
Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Has someone lived and traveled with cats, dogs or both who can say which (if any) are better at RV life?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have traveled with both and cats are easier to take care of, but I wouldn't let that make my decision.

We enjoyed traveling with either one.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
We tried confining our cats once, and both cried the whole time. To them being in their carriers seem to imply a trip to the vets - not a happy circumstance. After that we let them pick a place and they got so that over that past 3 1/2 years, when the engine starts, they are each in 'their' place on the couch and for the most part they stay there, except to use their litter box and get a drink of water.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Just found this thread; we always travel with 4 dogs and 2 cats, and we do keep them all crated when going down the road. We took out a couch. This makes it much safer in the event of an accident, and you don't have to worry about someone getting out if you stop to get gas. We walk the dogs one or two at a time, and that way, we don't have to worry about the cats getting out.

The cats travel in a crate with a small litterbox, with a water bucket and their food. The very first time they meowed all day long. After that, they have never meowed again, and actually enjoy going!

Also, very important, everyone has to wear a collar with a tag that says REWARD and our cell phone number on it.
YukieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #21

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
This season, we purchased a Boots & Barkley (Target) large pop open dog kennel (22" H x 22" W x 36" D) for our cat, Purrscilla. It's large enough to accommodate a small litter box, food & water, and still have plenty of room for the cat to move around or stretch out. The kennel fits perfectly on the back seat floor of the truck. Purrscilla seems to tolerate it well for the most part, but we have had an occasional rebellion (or maybe it's a cat tantrum) of meowing and scratching at the mesh screens.

For us, though, it makes for much more pleasant travel. No more unplanned cat visits to the front seat, no more having to extract a cat that's shoehorned itself underneath a front seat to hide, and we can get in and out of the vehicle without having to first make sure kitty isn't going to jump out first. There's also an added bonus of less cat hair on the seats.

Another thing we did was to have Purrscilla microchipped. It's an investment that we hope we never have to use.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a cat named Bubble that rode loose in the Motorhome and loved to ride on the dash. When we got to an overpass she would allways duck. She loved walking on a leash although when walking her I called her Bubba. Calling her Bubble out in public was more than I could bear !
After Bubbles passing we adopted Sophie our 2 year old Maltipoo. She is also loose in the Motorhome and either sleeps on the couch or in my wifes lap. She also likes being on the road WITH us.
In our Toad we allways keep her on a leash !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #23

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
You need to know exactly where they are BEFORE you extend or retract a slideout. We found out the hard way! Please put them in a carrier before you move a slideout.
Ouch. We are just going to introduce our new kitten (4 months old) to RVing at the end of October, and have never RVd with a pet. We've been thinking about the slides and just today talked about how we will pull into our spot, find the kitten, put him in his carrier and THEN deploy the slides.