Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We are at a loss for words and Bailey is at her leashes end because of aggressive dogs at campgrounds. She has been attacked five times over the last year while camping and I am at the point of laying a strong boot to some of these pets.

The dogs were all smaller breeds (a westie, a cocker spaniel, poodle, and various????) with bad dispositions and owners who could care less. Three of the five were on leashes but not under the control of their owners and the other two were not leashed at all. The owners always give some lame excuse about their pets past traumatic experiences with larger dogs to justify the attacks. Bailey would not hurt a flea and I am at my wits end.

I do not want to hurt anyone's pet but feel the need to protect Bailey from these attacks. Both of Bailey's hind legs are surgically repaired and that is the first area the aggressive dogs attack. If you know your dog is aggressive to other dogs, big or small, control them or leave them at home. It is not cute or acceptable behavior.

Venting complete.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We are at a loss for words and Bailey is at her leashes end because of aggressive dogs at campgrounds. She has been attacked five times over the last year while camping and I am at the point of laying a strong boot to some of these pets.

The dogs were all smaller breeds (a westie, a cocker spaniel, poodle, and various????) with bad dispositions and owners who could care less. Three of the five were on leashes but not under the control of their owners and the other two were not leashed at all. The owners always give some lame excuse about their pets past traumatic experiences with larger dogs to justify the attacks. Bailey would not hurt a flea and I am at my wits end.

I do not want to hurt anyone's pet but feel the need to protect Bailey from these attacks. Both of Bailey's hind legs are surgically repaired and that is the first area the aggressive dogs attack. If you know your dog is aggressive to other dogs, big or small, control them or leave them at home. It is not cute or acceptable behavior.

Venting complete.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Carry some type of pepper spray and use it when needed. If your luck is like mine, you would probably miss when trying to kick the aggressive dog and fall on your backside.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
You are probably correct. However, trying to hold on to a frantic Bailey's leash with one hand and usually a beverage of some type in the other, I am restricted to using my feet or toes to fend off the aggressors.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I'd suggest getting a beverage carrier - they sling over your shoulder or around your neck - to put the beverage in and carry some pepper spray or a big stick. I love dogs and would hate to hurt one, but no way is one of them going to hurt one of mine!! I hope you complained to the RV park management! I'd go so far as to call the police and report the aggressive dog. Fancy, my German Pinscher, is assertive - she loves other dogs and other people and wants to play or get petted. But she's not aggressive . . . there's a BIG difference. I'm taking her to be trained before we hit the road again so she won't do that - as assertiveness can definitely be mistook for aggression in a dog that looks like a Doberman!! There are so many irresponsible dog owners out there though - it makes me sad - and MAD!! The thought of having to whack someone else's dog to protect mind disturbs me, but I will do it if necessary. Then they'll probably call the authorities on me!!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
jfb

It would be be my suggestion to dedicate an hour a day to walking Bailey. Go to a tack shop and buy a good riding crop and use it on any mutt that interferes with this walk with Bailey. And by the way, leave your drink at home....
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
jfb,

Bailey gets plenty of walking time during the day, the first at or before 6:00am and the last around 9:00pm. The riding crop sounds like a good idea but I don't if I can function properly without my coffee during the morning walk. Maybe I just need a heavier cup.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I know what you mean about the coffee. My routine is to get up, go out for a quick potty session with the dogs, come back in, make my coffee and breakfast, then take them out on a long walk . . . . I am so addicted to coffee that I get a headache about 10 a.m. if I haven't had my cup. I've been drinking iced coffee since it's been so hot here - and I've put it in a water bottle and take it with me.