RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Travel with parrot

First, we are not full timers, are relatively new to MH world (currently travel in class A; '05 Alfa), and typically go on short (4-5 day) outings with friends.
DH recently suggested we consider taking our parrot (Finches Amazon) with us on longer trips rather than finding a "bird sitter". Need some advice:
1. Are there any issues with interstate travel (no plans to take him to Canada or Mexico)? We've had him almost 40 yrs now and I remember when we temporarily relocating from CA to KY in early '80s that we needed to have health/vet cert. to cross some state lines (eg CA / AZ). I've recently tried to find info on this and having difficulty other than "ask your vet" who frankly is unlikely to know since he didn't know what was needed to travel with cat into Canada last year! What is recent experience for travel with a parrot? Resources?
2. Cage/housing recommendations? Size/placement? Taking his "house" cage set-up isn't an option and can't just let him climb about the rig!
Appreciate any advice. I've been reading through threads I've found on travel with birds but still have questions! And yes, he can bite and although he doesn't fly except when startled (think he's forgotten how), if not contained in some manner he will walk all over the house (not to mention we also have a cat who does travel with us).

'05 Alfa SeeYa Gold 1002 w/Cummins 400 ISL towing 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid on ACME tow dolly
handy2sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

We bought our Winnebago Minnie Drop 1780 specifically so we could travel with our parrots rather than leave them at home. We have two cockatoos and three cockatiels. I added a partition to the trailer so the cockatiels could have their own area to fly free. For longer trips, I'd make sure you can bird-proof everything so the birds won't damage anything. We have one parrot that can't be left alone so he has to be in a cage if we don't take him with us when we are away from the trailer but everyone else can be left out and free-fly. We try to take the birds hiking with us if the conditions allow so we have small cages to hand carry the cockatiels and I built backpack cages for the cockatoos.

Here's a photo of the cockatoos and the cages we use for both travel in the car and backpacking when we take them with us hiking:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...lX6T48A5yK1XD0

Note, just three weeks ago we finished a two week drip to Lake Mead and Death Valley with all five birds and everyone had a great time.

WolfgangS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #3

I have traveled all over and I am pretty sure there are no certificates needed as long as you stay inside the USA with your bird.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #4

Hi,

I would not go out of the country with it as most have very strict rules on birds.. You could have it confiscated unless you have all your paperwork. Some countries require 30 day quarantine on birds at your cost and it is not a pleasant situation for the bird!!

Mark
nyparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #5

40 years? Wow
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #6

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
We stayed next to couple in Calhoun Ga this week.
They were heading to Florida from Michigan.
They did it every year with the wifes Parrot.
No issues at all.
Just like at home they said.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #7

One more point, it's important to give your parrot as much out of cage time as possible.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
thanks to all! guess we'll need to figure out travel housing for him! then the only remaining concern would be the occasional "screeches"! (we are used to them but no clue how they would sound in MH or to neighbors!).

Yes, 40 yrs. Got the bird before the DH. Who knew they live so long! He's in the will!

'05 Alfa SeeYa Gold 1002 w/Cummins 400 ISL towing 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid on ACME tow dolly
handy2sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #9

So glad you have him in your will. We have done the same. One of our two cockatoos will likely out live us by 20 to 30 years.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #10

nyparrothead is correct. We went into Canada with our bird without problem. Coming back into the US wasn't so easy. Spent almost an entire day stopped at the border trying to get reentry.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #11

We bought a travel home for our parrot from King’s Cages. I’d say it’s about 20x20x30 and fits perfectly on the dining table while traveling, strapped down. It is beautifully built and assembles without tools. I made a pedestal that breaks down and stores in a closet. We set it up between the driver and passenger seats once we land.

The cage is ATM2029 and sells for $450. There must have been a sale as I believe I paid $329.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy2sum View Post
thanks to all! guess we'll need to figure out travel housing for him! then the only remaining concern would be the occasional "screeches"! (we are used to them but no clue how they would sound in MH or to neighbors!).

Yes, 40 yrs. Got the bird before the DH. Who knew they live so long! He's in the will!
Im sure a screeching bird would be just about as welcome as a barking dog. This might be a deciding factor if the bird is very noisy.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #13

birds

Over the years we have seen many folks that travel with their birds including a few who full time.

Had one neighbor in Memphis, Tn CG that took his outside in his cage for an hour or so every day usually drew a few spectators and lots of questions.
garry1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Im sure a screeching bird would be just about as welcome as a barking dog. This might be a deciding factor if the bird is very noisy.
They usually quiet down at night. We cover ours as well.

The biggest risk is that someone may call the cops because it sounds like a murder is taking place inside. Fortunately ours doesn’t use foul language.

Tags
travel