Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Traveling with cats

Hi,

We have never taken our cats on any trips but would like to do so. We do take our 60lb Labrador with us, her harness is secured to a seat belt.

We normally leave our cats at home with a pet sitter visiting each. The only time they leave the house is to go the Vet, in the past they went to the toilet in their cat carriers so started to leave them free in the back of an Suv with a litter tray.

Any advice for traveling with them in a class A?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #2

Cat carrier
Cat Crates
Cat chest harness...secured to seat belts

Free ranging PETS inside a vehicle become flying objects which can be fatal.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I take all six of mine, was seven but one had intestional lymphoma.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_130547.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	664.2 KB
ID:	199784   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170506_080715.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	199785  

Name:	20170924_101744.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	199786  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #4

Thanks both,

We found some cat carriers with built on litter trays.
We do plan to leave them loose once at camp, our issue is the small grey one might bolt for the door if opened.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180418_180946.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	199789  
Old 04-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We take 2 of ours with us. The Siamese runs for the bed and hides under the bedspread until we reach the campground. The tabby either curls up on wife's lap or on the recliner. Next day as soon as I start disconnecting anything, the Siamese is back under the bedspread.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer1 View Post
We take 2 of ours with us. The Siamese runs for the bed and hides under the bedspread until we reach the campground. The tabby either curls up on wife's lap or on the recliner. Next day as soon as I start disconnecting anything, the Siamese is back under the bedspread.
Hi Romer,

Our youngest (grey one in photo) loves borrowing under bed spreads also. She also is an escape artist so will have to be careful with her. The big white cat does not bother going outside anymore, when she was younger ahe used to.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #7

Hi all,

I ordered two of these from Amazon. I will leave them out at home for them to get used too. They come with a litter box, water bowl and hanging toys.

We could take them outside in these also.

Thanks all for the help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077H53R4C
Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #8

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Thanks both,

We found some cat carriers with built on litter trays.
We do plan to leave them loose once at camp, our issue is the small grey one might bolt for the door if opened.
Let me offer you a thought on that.

We have a cat that never lost its feral nature. He bolted the first time the door opened and we weren't looking. It will happen, plan for it.

We had. The cat lives under the RV, his brothers visit daily but live inside. We had decided to let the cat decide what the cat wants. So he stays outside, under the truck, or under a patio table, on top of a wheel, various places.

We are planning to travel soon, the only solution is to "trap" the cat in an appropriate cage-trap and bring him inside. Where he will resume living under the sofa (when we are around anyways).

However, if the cat decides to remain outside, and we cannot catch him, then he will have made that decision, not us.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For their safely our kitties travel in crates bungee corded to chairs. Once setup at a CG they have free run if the coach. Never let outside.

Covered litter box resides in the shower. Crates on top of the litter box when setup in CG. Easy enough to set them out when we want to use the shower.

They are chipped, wear collars with our cell numbers on them, and have a blue tooth locator Tile attached to the collar. Just in case they would get out...

Plug up any places they can get into that could be hazardous to them. We have gaps under the bed where they couple get into the slide mechanism box. We put a pillow to block.

The kitties love lounging on the dash and watching the changing world through the windshield as we go from CG to CG.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
For their safely our kitties travel in crates bungee corded to chairs. Once setup at a CG they have free run if the coach. Never let outside.

Covered litter box resides in the shower. Crates on top of the litter box when setup in CG. Easy enough to set them out when we want to use the shower.

They are chipped, wear collars with our cell numbers on them, and have a blue tooth locator Tile attached to the collar. Just in case they would get out...

Plug up any places they can get into that could be hazardous to them. We have gaps under the bed where they couple get into the slide mechanism box. We put a pillow to block.

The kitties love lounging on the dash and watching the changing world through the windshield as we go from CG to CG.
Hi Vince,

My two get out of collars in about 5 minutes. Thats a great idea about using a tile. I will indeed plug up any holes.

Cheers,
Old 04-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburn View Post
Let me offer you a thought on that.

We have a cat that never lost its feral nature. He bolted the first time the door opened and we weren't looking. It will happen, plan for it.

We had. The cat lives under the RV, his brothers visit daily but live inside. We had decided to let the cat decide what the cat wants. So he stays outside, under the truck, or under a patio table, on top of a wheel, various places.

We are planning to travel soon, the only solution is to "trap" the cat in an appropriate cage-trap and bring him inside. Where he will resume living under the sofa (when we are around anyways).

However, if the cat decides to remain outside, and we cannot catch him, then he will have made that decision, not us.

Hi,

Both of them used to be allowed out before but due to an illness the vet wants them to stay inside.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For any of our Furry kids the proper way is to Crate them.. However for a long drive I feel that is kind of unking.

Originallyu I built a very large crate it was made out of plastic lattice fencing and one wall of the RV (I had an extra lattace wall for using it outside. It fit over the dining table and there was room for them to move, eat, drink and .. Take care of business.. in fact Food water and sand box ...well humans do not us that table (I have anoter I use)

But finally dropped that the cats hide under the bed. They would run under when it was half in/out and then they could not exit. so I made 'em an exit. They are safe. Very littl distance from any point to any othr, roll over protected (They can not stand up there) so they like it and it is their choice of place to hide.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #13

Our cat and dog roam around the coach at will, but they are both 'potty' trained... the cat is no problem, the dog does a nice song and dance when she's 'ready'... : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #14

Our dog is tied in to a seat belt and goes to sleep on the couch. The crates I ordered are 34 by 17 inches and have litter boxes.

Tags
cat, travel