Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #1

Traveling with Pets

Just checking back in. I notice a few of you travel with your pets. I am a breeder and show dogs as a hobby but never done any long term traveling with my dogs. Just wondering what issues have come up and things you think are necessary to have. Or should I take this question to one of the other forums?
jsrwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #2

Same here.. breeder/exhibitor (Afghan Hounds), traveling to 2-3 shows per month. Welcome to the forums! Might I suggest a "Fire Drill" and contingency plan. I normally travel with 4-5 in their own crates, 700 size. Occasionally I am solo while driving to/from the shows so I plan for the worst in case I have to get them all out quickly for any reason. My crates are positioned and fastened with D-rings to the floor in a manner where all the doors swing open freely, no obstructions. I keep a lead/collar on each dog while traveling - no fumbling around looking for one. I make sure the aisleways are always kept clear for quick entry/exit of each dog from it's crate all the way to the door whether in the light or dark. Should anything bad happen such as a fire I am able to swiftly remove them from the RV in under 45 seconds once stopped. My coach has the standard entry door plus I have the benefit of a drivers door too.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
In a campground, pick up the poop ALWAYS and immediately. NO continuous barking.

Those are the two items I see discussed on RV forums a lot!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Same here.. breeder/exhibitor (Afghan Hounds), traveling to 2-3 shows per month. Welcome to the forums! Might I suggest a "Fire Drill" and contingency plan. I normally travel with 4-5 in their own crates, 700 size. Occasionally I am solo while driving to/from the shows so I plan for the worst in case I have to get them all out quickly for any reason. My crates are positioned and fastened with D-rings to the floor in a manner where all the doors swing open freely, no obstructions. I keep a lead/collar on each dog while traveling - no fumbling around looking for one. I make sure the aisleways are always kept clear for quick entry/exit of each dog from it's crate all the way to the door whether in the light or dark. Should anything bad happen such as a fire I am able to swiftly remove them from the RV in under 45 seconds once stopped. My coach has the standard entry door plus I have the benefit of a drivers door too.
Great advise and ideas for everyone with pets traveling. Thanks!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrwahl View Post
...I notice a few of you travel with your pets. ...
A few? I'd say more like 75 - 80%! LOL

They need all the same considerations while traveling that they do at home. A place in which they feel safe for chillin' and sleeping, quality food and water, exercise and companionship.

Ours are not tied or tethered when we're on the road, they're typically camped out on their bed, which we lay between our seats for traveling. We're no longer in a hurry to get anywhere so a stop to stretch the legs and take care of nature's call every couple of hours is good for all of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	travel bed.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	48046  
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #6

I like the idea of a fire drill. It was suggested to me to use the hard side crates instead of the wire crates.
jsrwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #7

I prefer the wire crates for air circulation and being able to see them without opening the crate. Plus, enclosed crates such as the Kennel-Aires cause major static on long coats.. such as Afghan Hounds ;-)
Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #8

Some CGs state a limit on how many dogs you can have, often limited to two, or a weight limit like 50 lbs max. Some even ban certain breeds. Many don't enforce the X number of dogs limit rule unless your dogs are causing problems (barking, lunging at other dogs/people, leaving poop, chasing wild critters etc.). Also, some CGs specifically do not allow you to leave your dogs alone & unattended in an RV. Again, I don't think they enforce that unless there's a noise issue. I have seen a few who rigorously adhere to these rules.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote