Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 05:12 AM   #15
IC2

Most KOA CGs and many others seem to exclude pit bulls, dobermans and rottweilers though some just give a pound size - 40 if I recall. The CG we often stay at, some seasonal folks have a couple of mutts that should be banned from anywhere and I believe are close to being told to leave them home. A lot depends on the CG owner's final descretion of a particular dog or breed and unfortunately for a mastiff owner it's often size related.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Our 15 yr old daughter's 4-H dog is a two yr old German Shepherd Dog so we feel your pain. So far we've only run across one campground near us that lists the GSD on their restricted breed list.

Our GSD has her CGC title so we keep a copy of it along with her shot records in the RV just in case someone gets nervous about her.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Dobie

We too have a doberman, who is very calm and submissive. We worry alot about where we can go, because were not going to just leave our dogs at home. Our kids are grown,and now its just us and our dogs, who are family too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	General Pictures 002.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	69737  
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We travel with 2 GSDs and so far, only one CG posted specifically restricting GSDs. The large majority of CGs listing restrictions buy breed name do not include GSDs. We do call ahead and specify we carry them and none have said no...yet.

What we also see is the work around to breed specific restrictions is weight limits. We winter in a resort that has a 35# limit.

What we find is that the rules are often selectively enforced. If Your dogs play good in the sand box and you get to stay. If not, they use the rules to toss you out.

That is what we have found out so far.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #19

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britexan View Post
You talk about travel with a restricted breed dog, I am new to RVing and have a South African Boerboel, (Mastiff). Is there an actual list of restricted breeds? or is it at the discretion of each park? My boy Floyd is one of the gentlest dogs I have ever known.

Wow! I'm with you, I had no idea there were restricted dog lists. I've been to MO, AR, and live in OK and haven't had a problem with my pit, Bailey. She loves all over the camp host and any children that will come around. We're a package deal, so I guess I'll have to watch for these "lists" ... boo hiss
lucitoo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #20

We have two Rottweillers, have taken them camping on a regular basis. Our dogs are our kids and as such they can be rambunctious at times however never aggressive. In trying to locate a campground in Florida where we'd like to stay from Jan thru March we are unable to find o n e campground allowing our babies! It's frustrating. Any one have any suggestions? We were trying for central Florida but at this rate we'll try anywhere! Please, if anyone can offer suggestions we'd be grateful. This is a trip which is on my husband's bucket list, he's been suffering from ALS for 2 years and time isn't on our side!
susieb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #21

Campgrounds we found

First let me start by saying there is lots of places that we found that accepted our dobermans. So you should be fine with those choices. And there is always a state park which does not restrict breeds only the number of dogs you have. Here is a couple of the sites we stayed at with our "3" dobbies with no issues.

Ocala RV Camp Resort, exit 350 off I-75. Great place, close to all amenities and it has a dog run for families to take there pets. 866-858-3400

Camp N Water Outdoor Resort in Homosassa Florida. They also have a dog run, have a lot of fun things for humans to do too. 352-628-2000

And of course any state campground.
Hope this helps!!
RVMOMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #22

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMOMMA View Post
First let me start by saying there is lots of places that we found that accepted our dobermans. So you should be fine with those choices. And there is always a state park which does not restrict breeds only the number of dogs you have. Here is a couple of the sites we stayed at with our "3" dobbies with no issues.

Ocala RV Camp Resort, exit 350 off I-75. Great place, close to all amenities and it has a dog run for families to take there pets. 866-858-3400

Camp N Water Outdoor Resort in Homosassa Florida. They also have a dog run, have a lot of fun things for humans to do too. 352-628-2000

And of course any state campground.

Hope this helps!!

RVMomma, do you know if that's true for state campgrounds in all states?

Sent from my iPad
Lucinda & Bailey
'03 Itasca Spirit
lucitoo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #23

I've checked 50+ campgrounds in Florida. None allow, pit bulls, German Shepherds, dobermans or rottweilers! I found one, through a suggestion from this forum where there are no restrictions other than leashing and cleaning up after them, which is only common sense! Thank you for all of the help. My husband who has ALS and I can now take the winter trip he's always wanted! Thank you, thank you
susieb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #24
KAS

WOW, had no idea that there was so much anti large dog bigotry. Bad as the no kids places.

The meanest dogs I have ever met were all Labs or goldens-- as were some of the nicest dogs. Met possibly 40 AmStaff/Pit dogs, only one bad one. Only family member to be badly bitten was bitten by a mix breed of no recognizable lineage under 30 pounds but that dog left scars!

Most dangerous guard dog I ever met was a Poodle. My first intro was knocking on the door and seeing black fur and snapping teeth at the face level window. One quiet command from the owner and it turned into a friendly and calm dog.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to Britexan
Back from our first trip out. We stayed at 6 parks, and everyone we talked to thought our dogs were so well behaved. Everyone was so easy to get along with and they loved our 2 Boerboels. I think if more people were less afraid of large dogs, and more people were open to the love and friendship a dog can give the world would be a better place. I wouldn't think twice about leaving my 6 year old Boerboel with a child, He is so gentle.
Britexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
I own a couple of commercial strip centers. It is the liability on the insurance policies that have gone crazy, not the RV parks. I can no longer rent to dog groomers unless they supply liability insurance to my insurance company and that is cost prohibitive. Their insurance alone is more than I charge for rent. The increase on my insurance is not worth it, so I know longer rent to any type of dog business and I am a dog lover. Thank you insurance companies!

Blame the owners of untrained breeds that have caused the problems that the insurance companies have had to pay out on. Just my personal experience.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank a Lawyer.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Thank a Lawyer.
That is true, but it is the insurance companies that are dictating who I can and cannot rent to, much like the RV parks are having to say who they can and cannot rent to. And it will be the lawyers that will cash in.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel