Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Question Travelling with restricted breed

We have Dobermans and are tired of be pushed away because of that. They are good dogs and we would love to know of any parks along 1-75 or anywhere for future travel, other than state parks that would let us stay. For anyone else with a restricted breed the KOA on Marco did let us stay one nite with no issues and we appreciated that very much.
All suggestions would be great. Thanks to all our dog friends that have helped along the way.
RVMOMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I understand your frustration and will be interested in seeing the replies.

My experience leads me to believe that it'll be tough but maybe others have found a source of information on parks without these restrictions.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My daughter has a lab/pit bull cross that would be turned away by policy at our favorite campground. The first thing she did was take him to obedience and canine good citizen classes.

We talked to the owners (in person) and asked if we could bring Logan by for a visit on a Sunday afternoon to meet them. He's a big, goofy dog without a mean bone in him. They said Ok, they met Logan, and he is now welcome at their campground.

On another occasion, we called ahead to talk about the dog policy. They said he could come if he was wearing a muzzle, so we said Ok and bought a muzzle. He wore it until they met him, when they said never mind, he doesn't neet to wear it.

I think you'll have more luck calling ahead and talking to the owner (not staff), who can make or waive policy. Dobies are beautiful dogs!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Just like with all 'blanket' rules, they usually are wrong in many cases as we are now the country of unintended consequences

Come on down south - never had an issue with our boxer - pitt mix at campgrounds....

in fact, the only fight he's been in was when HE was almost dragged under our privacy fence by the 'pedigreed' dogs behind our home.
Thank goodness I was out there and they were intimidated by me or it would have been MUCH worse.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I support the notion of an official AKC canine good citizen class. It may not get you 100% recognition, but having that certificate may help you get into many places. Plus...it's a great idea anyway. We took our previous White German Shepherd and an Akita dogs through the course just because we enjoyed the other courses we took by the same instructor, and it's good stuff.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #6

Sometimes it's not the campground or owner ... it's the insurance company and specific policy.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
IC2

It's unfortunate that a few owners with out of control dogs can ruin it for those that have trained their pups to be good citizens. Then there are those that claim allergies so now you can't bring your dog into stores that used to allow them ..... Heck, most dogs are better behaved then many kids in today's permissive society.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #8

How far south do you travel? There is a pet friendly place near the junction of I-75 and I-10. Their web site is musicliveshere.com
Just check the event schedule and do not go during a big concert week. They get quite a crowd for events.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have you tried getting the Good Sam Campground Directory? They list almost all campgrounds and include whether pets are welcome and whether or not there are any restrictions on breed or quantity. The companion App does the same thing and is free. You can search by name of the CG or you can search by city or on a map.
DyerGrampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #10

X2. We have always had German Shepherds; who are on some insurance company's bad dog list. we found the most restrictive parks are in the southeast. mostly Florida. Never had a problem in the west or midwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Sometimes it's not the campground or owner ... it's the insurance company and specific policy.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #11

We have a German shepherd also who is the sweetest, most intellegent ,easy going dog I have ever known..I have been bitten by dogs 3 times and they where all small dogs under 20 lbs.
msi1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
If you ever travel to Yuma, AZ stay at Arizona Sands. Their sign says PET FRIENDLY and they mean it. They don't care what breed the dog is as long as it is well behaved. One of the biggest Red Nosed Pit Bulls I have ever seen was well loved by all at the park. Old Grizz sure changed my thinking around on Pits. He loved to play with puppies.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Britexan
You talk about travel with a restricted breed dog, I am new to RVing and have a South African Boerboel, (Mastiff). Is there an actual list of restricted breeds? or is it at the discretion of each park? My boy Floyd is one of the gentlest dogs I have ever known.
Britexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britexan View Post
You talk about travel with a restricted breed dog, I am new to RVing and have a South African Boerboel, (Mastiff). Is there an actual list of restricted breeds? or is it at the discretion of each park? My boy Floyd is one of the gentlest dogs I have ever known.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

There's no "master list" of restricted breeds. It seems to very dependent on the local situation and CG owner. Many blame their insurance companies... and there's no doubt some truth in that. Others maintain their own list of breeds they will post on their website or be willing to share with you over the phone. Some also restrict all dogs by weight... frequently 20/25 lbs.

Having said all of that, I can tell you that I've been in CG's all over North America and have never seen the South African Boerboel on the list of restricted breeds.

Traveling with a large dog, you'll just have one more thing on your checklist when selecting a place to stay but I doubt it'll be a big deal for you in the grand scheme of things.

Have fun.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel