Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I have absolutely no use for aggressive dogs and even less use fro stupid dog owners.
I apologize, this isn't exactly RV related but it kinda fits in this thread.

I am a bicycle rider (cyclist). I like to think that most people would be shocked to see what a cyclist goes thru (with dogs) on the average day. I mostly blame the latter of the above (stupid dog owners). Being barked at nearly constantly, chased nearly every day, and aggressively chased (real fear) a few times per month has done some real damage to my opinion of dog owners. I suspect that if everyone rode bicycles, the accepted behavior of dogs would be a lot different.

I've owned dogs my whole life and trained them to behave appropriately. I simply cannot understand why someone wants a dog that barks at everything that rolls down the (public) road, never mind attacks it (ON your property is a slightly different thing). Or, in this case, attacks whatever walks by. It is worth noting that no breed is exempt.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
95%? Not where we camp. We camp mostly at COEs and State Parks. Occasionally at private CGs or Resorts. Nowhere near 95% of the RVs have pets. If they do, they're not dogs that are walked. I don't think pets like birds or cats or rabbits would be affected since they're not known for creating the problems dogs are. But CGs wont survive if they start losing those disgusted with irresponsible dog owners either. And those people they loose may themselves be dog owners who are ARE responsible and don't care to be around those who aren't.

BTW, we spent several months at a place in Belleview FL last winter. There was only two dog owners in the entire row we were in and one other person with a cat.
I didn't say 95% have dogs; I said "pets." And the percentage is just a guess, based on the places we have stayed and interaction with other campers. Most have pets, by a very high margin.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I didn't say 95% have dogs; I said "pets." And the percentage is just a guess, based on the places we have stayed and interaction with other campers. Most have pets, by a very high margin.
Sorry, I misunderstood.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
all you need is a couple of lawsuits for the insurance company's to start raising rates. a few Dogs get killed from threatening, or attacking people, one child get mangled by a dog and they will start disappearing quickly. there is already being created more issues because of dogs then most cg owners are wanting to put up with. . Once it starts they will all do it because they will once again be on a level playing field so it won't matter. it's all a matter of money.
Enforcing the leash rule in CGs would be a good start. Tim's Ford has lost our business and probably most of those who saw the attack on the woman wont be going back there either. Another good thing would be to limit the size and maybe the breed of the dogs as do so many private CGs. I can see why they do it. They want to avoid "dog issues" but still have to contend with complaints about endless barking and feces not picked up. I don't know what the answer is because you can't change the owners of the dogs. But you can ban dogs altogether. That of course, wouldn't be fair to the responsible dog owners....
Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
...Another good thing would be to limit the size and maybe the breed of the dogs ...

NO NO NO!

Where do you begin? If it is big, it must be dangerous? If it looks like a pit bull it must be one?

I darn well guarantee that small dogs are as much or more of a problem than their bigger cousins. I walk my 2 GSDs all the time in all CGs and do not have a problem. They don't bark at other dogs unless provoked. Gunny is a bit more "protective" when tall strangers approach us but Thor breaks the ice and Gunny follows. Kids get the royal treatment from them. Other dogs...well...we are very clear with other dog owners that they are not dog friendly but not overly aggressive. Yes, when their dog is straining at the leash, yapping loudly and all that my guys will react but if their dog simply walks on like nothing is happening, mine do too.

This year so far I have had 5 small yappers bolt from their owners and try to "man up" on my guys. If it wasn't so serious, it would have been hilarious. In 4 of the cases I saw it coming and was able to put my guys in a sit and tight leash before there was a real problem but in the other case the darn dog got between mine.... No dog wants to get between my guys without an invitation by them, preferably with an RSVP.

I am not ignorant to certain breed tendencies. I have a very healthy respect for many breeds, including GSDs, for the potential they have to be dangerous. However, that also includes breeds like Rat and Jack Russel Terriers along other aggressive small dogs with a John Wayne complex.

Financially, most CGs would suffer some affect from any serious attempt to limit dog sizes or breeds. The first CG that says my GSDs are prohibited will be recognized in every possible review/venue I can find and Google has lots of ways I can find them. I do not begrudge a CG to set a no pet policy as they also do so for grand kids in order to establish a service for the clientele they prefer. Just be consistent.

And just to add to another poster's comments as a cyclist. When I was leaving a CG on my bicycle one time I was chased by a friggin poodle...toy poodle. Where was that owner? Sitting on a picnic table laughing their butt off. Really?

Before folks start playing the "big dog = bad dog = dangerous dog" game, they better decide just how far they want that to go. Because, as the movie line said, "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too."

ARRGGGGGHHHH...sorry Ran, I know you mean well but BSL and related breed specific actions get me all riled up. Ain't your fault because I do understand your concerns so while I did kinda piggy back on your message, it is meant for the broader audience because you aren't the only one to say it that way.

As to the OP's concerns. Call the police. CGs are not in the business of airing bad publicity. They will too often sweep there problems under the rug. (Hey, so and so is only here for a few days. Problem solved!) The good ones will take bad campers to task and if the camper doesn't like it...the gate swings both ways for them and their issues including pets run amok.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

.........NO NO NO!

Where do you begin? If it is big, it must be dangerous? If it looks like a pit bull it must be one? ............
I know where you're coming from and I understand. But look at it this way. If you're going to be attacked by a dog, better to be attacked by a small 15 lb poodle or little fox terrier than a 130+ lb GS or PB. The PB that attacked the woman at Tim's Ford hit her from behind and knocked her off her feet. Her face, knees and hands were bloodied by the fall and probably the added weigh of the dog on her back. That's not likely with a 20 lb Lasa or Pekingese. Then it started to bite on her.... I get goosebumps and shivers of fear just remembering what she looked like. Can you imagine the fear, then the pain she was in? The poor woman had to stay there another day until her husband could come get her and the 5th wheel so she could go home - vacation totally ruined by the +(*&^%$ (*# who let his 2 dogs run loose.

I wish I knew what the answer was with campers and their dogs. And answer that would be fair to everyone and keep everyone happy.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The answer is as plain as the nose on your dogs face. Leash laws strictly enforced. No exceptions for anyone. No leashy, no campy.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
The answer is as plain as the nose on your dogs face. Leash laws strictly enforced. No exceptions for anyone. No leashy, no campy.
Good thing I don't have a pug. LOL

AGREED! Some campers just don't get it.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
laj

comical. I could list over 200 cg's that already have restrictions on size, breed, and quantity, including the one i was just at.i am sure there are many more, I just haven't looked or been to them. better get up to speed. as was already said, the answer is simple. leash em.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #38

Quote:
comical. I could list over 200 cg's that already have restrictions on size, breed, and quantity, including the one i was just at.i am sure there are many more, I just haven't looked or been to them. better get up to speed. as was already said, the answer is simple. leash em.
But that's not working! Dog owners are still allowing their dogs to run free in CGs. Some Hosts are not doing anything about it. So that's not really the answer.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #39
laj

ran, I absolutely agree with you. you can't make un- ethical people ethical, they just don't have the ability. sad as it is, someone is going to have to be killed and a major lawsuit. until then i carry the proper equipment to control the problem around me. can't say more.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr

But that's not working! Dog owners are still allowing their dogs to run free in CGs. Some Hosts are not doing anything about it. So that's not really the answer.
Has anyone ever demanded their money back for advanced payment because a host or management refused to enforce their leash rules?

If I'm not happy, I'm happy to move along - but I want my money back. Unenforced rules are either false advertising or breach of promise. If stated plainly - I do not feel safe - or that little bad apple is likely to lead to more and possibly bigger bad apples - I would think those in charge would be glad to choose between us and them. As long as get my cash - I'm gone. I know everyone can't do that - but the threat alone may work. Maybe even organize a coup of others that feel the same way and hit them all at once.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #41

Quote:
ran, I absolutely agree with you. you can't make un- ethical people ethical, they just don't have the ability. sad as it is, someone is going to have to be killed and a major lawsuit. until then i carry the proper equipment to control the problem around me. can't say more.
If you mean what I think you mean... my husband also took the classes, has his permit and also carries the proper equipment. But remember that this PB came up on the woman from behind. She never saw it coming. Fortunately some people there did but there was no time for her to react to their warning. A gun would not have helped the poor soul. I can only hope she found a good lawyer and is compensated for her suffering.

Yes, it definitely will take one or more people being killed before some kind of serious action is taken.

I also want to tell you about our experience in Lebanon State Park with a Rottweiler. My husband and I was walking around all the loops when we came around a bend and saw a tent... suddenly a huge Rotty came flying out of the tent like a demon from hell, snarling and barking until it hit the end of a chain more suitable for a cocker or basset hound. We both almost had a stoke. First, we didn't know he was on a chain and secondly, we were sure he would break the chain trying to get to us to attack us before we could get past... and get this... a huge mountain of a women, easily 400 lbs, in dirty rumpled clothes and wild hair came out of the tent and LAUGHED like crazy!!!! She though it was hysterical! Any dog owners wonder why some of us would love dog-free CGs? This of course was before the PB attack on the woman at Tim's Ford. We had no "equipment" on us including no Pepper Spray. When I went to complain to the Host there, she said she had several complaints about that dog terrorizing people but until the dog bit someone, there was nothing she could do. She advised me to stay out of that loop!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #42

This may be a little off topic but some say they use bear spray as a defense to dog attacks. Why is bear spray restricted when going to Canada?

Tags
campground