Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #15

We have run across a few campgrounds with weight restrictions and/or number of pets, but not that many. Just bring along the rabies vaccination papers and we also bring a vet travel authorization paper that basically indicates our pets are under the care of a licenced vet and all shots are up to date according to each state we travel in. Only once have we had to present the papers at a campground (State park in one of the northeastern coastal states). But then they also required paperwork for registration of both vehicles, and proof of insurance for both vehicles.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyfbane View Post
I am just beginning to prepare for big travelling. My mastiff is 170#. What percentage of camp grounds am I going to be turned away from due to Zeus' size?

Thanks,

Mike

USe State/National/COE CGs and no issues other then dog on leash etc

Private/public CGs ,,,,,,,,you got 2 issues
Weight AND Mastiff (On aggressive breed list Ins. Companies use)

Best to ALWAYS call and check with CGs (or look over their website VERY closely.....Pet Policy/Rules)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #17

Quote:
I am just beginning to prepare for big travelling. My mastiff is 170#. What percentage of camp grounds am I going to be turned away from due to Zeus' size?

Thanks,

Mike
I don't recall all that many campgrounds that have much of a limit. My experience it is more of the "resort" type CG's that have a weight rule. Ours total 130 lbs but we have two labs we pack along. Just make sure you bring an appropriate 170# sized poop bag .

Dave
Old 08-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I'm new here. I apologize if I haven't gotten the swing of the forum's dialect.
I see now I should have added a 'what are your impressions on this topic?' or a 'in your experiences, have you seen supersized dogs like a great dane or beefy mastiff sized dogs in your travels?'

Having not yet begun to travel myself, any input on this would have been helpful, except your input.

old-biscuit's post was helpful, so I was looking maybe to expand on people's experiences or areas of concentration where dog limits seem more prevalent.

I see you are a linear thinker. That is a great thing, but sort of makes your name a misnomer... lol

So if anyone else has had experiences with extra extra plus plus sized dogs, I would like to hear about it. Next to my dog german shepards are pretty small by comparison.

Thank you,

Mike
You've left so many factors unanswered or explained, I don't think anyone could answer your question, "What percentage of camp grounds am I going to be turned away from due to Zeus' size?"

It's not linear thinking, it's pointing out you've given no information on which to base a good answer. Is your dog calm and well behaved? Does he bark or growl at people and dogs? In what kind of campgrounds are you planning to stay?

With a 170 lb. dog, I suggest you call ahead when making a reservation or carefully read any online information before making an online reservation.

I think you'll find your attitude and the dog's demeanor may go a long way towards being accepted or not.

Linear thinking is superior to scatershot or fragmented thinking, making quick judgements and assuming things not in evidence.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 45 lb Beagle but I've not trained him to be an attack killer lol. Beagles are probably one of the few mid sized dog breeds that are 100% docile. If I was told my Beagle was a threat to the folks in the campground I'd have to question that persons visual acuity lol.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingsailor View Post
I have a Great Pyrenees that weights 109#. She is a gentle giant but obviously I have to deal with the weight issue. I wish they would judge the dog not the breed or size.
Came home from the Pyrenees with with two Great Pyrenees. Before that also had two St Bernards that were also raised from puppies and well trained.

The reason I picked those breeds is they were very gentle with children. At the time I was often deployed or working nights. They are also very protective of the children.

A pack of dogs went after my kids in our own yard as they were getting in the car to go to church. The front to was still open and Great Pyrenees escaped going after a pack of dogs that outnumber my dogs by 6 or 8. Great Pyrenees guard the flock from bears and wolves. It was amazing to watch them to work as a team. They body slammed the first two dog in the pack from opposite directions knocking them cold. The reset of the pack retreated.

From a camping perspective, Great Pyrenees and other big dogs are often low key and lazy. Only one problem while camping. Our first St Bernard was on a leash connected to the picnic table Glacier NP. We were eating at the table with our preschool children.

A man cut through out camp site like were not there. I did not give the hand signal to stay. Roof, foof, roof as she charged out from under the table.

Back home, I had a problem with a man jogging with his dog that was not on a leash. I asked to run on the other side street because I did not like his German Shepard barking at me while I was working in the flower bed. He started to laugh until I stood up.

The next week I worked in the yard with the St Bernard on the front porch. When the jogger say me he crossed over to come down the side of the street where I was. He was smiling and looking at me. He did not see my dog until it was too late. I have always line trained my dogs because I do not want them to hit by a car. As soon as his dog crossed that invisible line, the case was on.

For those who do not know, never run from a single dog. Facing a dog you a man to be feared. With good reason. You are bigger than the dog. Running away, you are a rabbit.

I was pretty sure my St Bernard not catch the runner. What surprise me is his dog did not turn to protect him.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #21

Where we camp all the time, a couple camp with their 5 dogs, 2 great Danes, amid size and 2 small ankle biters. All well behaved and have not heard of any complaints.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I'm new here.
OK, so take it from someone that has traveled around a fair bit with a dog on the "scary dog" list at a lot of places.

There is no way to answer your question, and someone else handled that for me/us.

But you're new here, so I'll hold your hand a little. After all, everyone has a first time, don't they? So relax, and consider:
  • What parts of the country are you thinking of heading to? People in one part could probably help answer your question based on their own personal experience at place a,b, and/or c. It might matter, it might not. On the West Third of the US, it doesn't seem to be much of an issue, but on the Eastern Third, it might be something that's a Really Big Deal.
  • Is your pet professionally obedience trained? (Helps assuage fears of a horse sized canine monster running amok at the campground or park)
  • Is your dog a very gentle giant that won't bark at anything that happens to be moving anywhere within sight and sound, or does your pet bark and howl incessantly, even when you're around? I've seen so many dog owners say "My dog(s) don't do that!", but I've shown them video of all the noise coming from their RV and they still think I've lost my mind. I like peace and quiet most of the time, and especially when I'm trying to sleep. Don't you?
  • Is your dog well socialized around other animals and children? My GSD freaks out at horses. I don't know why, but I do all I can to avoid having her near horses, as some places I've camped have had horses nearby, or as close as a couple sites away from me. Otherwise, she does great around other animals and children, but Huskies bring out the child in her.

These are questions I have been asked, and the answers I give, honestly, and then even introduce Chasqui to the camp/park management folks, puts them at ease. I have not had a problem bringing her with me to any park or campground.

Yet.

Quote:
Thank you,

Mike
You're welcome! Next question if you have one, please, and whatever details might help to get the answer your looking for would be super great, mkay?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
We have traveled frequently with a 65 pound dog. No problem in public parks at all. A few private parks we thought about had something on their website about a weight limit so we just went somewhere else. With a big dog, you do learn to read the section about pets before reserving a site. My sweetie (actually my son’s now) was a big lazy fluff ball, but she was tall and black. Some people are scared of her, and that isn’t her or my problem. I always kept her on a leash outside unless we were in a dog run area. She also just goes to sleep on the sofa when we leave. Note she isn’t supposed to be on the sofa, so she takes advantage as soon as she knows we are gone! The only thing that would make her run would be a squirrel or some other animal which is why we kept her leashed.

BTW, we rarely get east of the Mississippi River, and the vast majority of our camping is in the mountain west. People seem to be more comfortable with dogs where there is a lot of space.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #24

I would like to thank all of you who shared your thoughts and experiences with large dogs in response to my post, especially 1bigmess.

You took my snarky response in stride and totally contributed to the reduction of my ignorance. Thank you again.

With regards to hand holding, that's fine, but you have to be on my left. My lovely wife stays on my right.

I will stay mostly in the western 10. I live in WA and will spend many initial trips exploring WA, OR, ID, and NORCAL. We will be doing at least one long trip in the summer to star: Colorado, Texas, or something. By 2021 our plan is to fulltime each summer (we are both teachers).

It is a bit of a challenge, since in addition to Zeus the mastiff we have 2 chihuahuas and a terrier mix. The whole menagerie will come with, as well as 2 teen boys.

Thanks for input and any further experiences shared will be appreciated.
Wyfbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Old 08-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #26

I have what insurance company label as banned dogs. I try to book my campgrounds online. I read the rules, then book. it always the "resort" type campgrounds that have the most rules (like living in a townhouse community, everyone sticks their nose into everyone's business) my dogs are mix breed, the girl can past for lab, the boy not so much. they are 80lbs. & 105lbs.
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #27

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
I have what insurance company label as banned dogs. I try to book my campgrounds online. I read the rules, then book. it always the "resort" type campgrounds that have the most rules (like living in a townhouse community, everyone sticks their nose into everyone's business) my dogs are mix breed, the girl can past for lab, the boy not so much. they are 80lbs. & 105lbs.

We have two Dobermans. The male is 130 lbs and the female is 87 lbs both are shown in obedience and rally. They are both also registered as service dogs so by law we can’t be refused ANY where
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeBus View Post
We have two Dobermans. The male is 130 lbs and the female is 87 lbs both are shown in obedience and rally. They are both also registered as service dogs so by law we can’t be refused ANY where
think I'll look into service dogs, but in reality my dogs would only qualify as comfort dogs.
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, weight