Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #1

What if, God forbid.....

I am planning on soon becoming a solo female full time rv'er. I will be traveling in the company of my dogs. It doesn't bother me too much if some medical issue happens to me while on the road.....burst appendix, heart problem....what will be, will be as they say. I'll have 911 to call + I have one for those little "Splash" medical emergency GPS thingies (think "I've fallen and I can't get up"!)
I live alone in my s&b right now.....so I'd be doing the same thing if something were to happen to me here, except I have friends close by who would come take care of my dogs if I were to be hospitalized!
Who does one call if you're alone on the road? Is there such an rv group that one can register with? My dogs welfare is what scares me the most about going fulltime. They are my family!!!
kris-at-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
FMCA has a free feature that will get the coach home and get all the pets home. It costs nothing if you are a member, which is about $40 per year.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When traveling in the RV my wife and I both carry emergency info in our wallets. Most First Responders know the acronym ICE (In Case of Emergency) and we have that slip of paper in our wallets where it would be seen if someone is looking for ID etc. We update it as we move from camp to camp.

The paper has things like our names, medical info (allergies etc), the make/model/plate of our RV and toad, the address and site # of where our RV is currently parked, emergency contact info for family, and the fact that we are traveling with 2 furry friends. In our case it also tells where our hide-a-key is located.

So in worst case hopefully someone (police/doctor/etc) would contact our family, and perhaps a campground person could at least provide food/water until family can assist.

As far as groups etc, I believe Good Sam has a subgroup of people who have signed up to be willing to assist travelers. Think they are called "Standby Sams". Something you might want to check out.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two options: First, when I had to check into hospital in 2013 for a week I had a neighbor take care of my kitties for a bit, then the park manager when he left for Texas.

Where I'm at now,, The same thing would happen.

Finally.. in my wallet is a neat little Gold Card,, If you are interested in obtaining one (They are expensive) Private message me for a referral,

But this is a Medical Air Servcies company.. Here is how it works.

IF I am sick or if I'm injured, and my primary insurance (And secondary if any) Fails to cover the cost of the ambulance/extraction they will make up the difference, , Just call them when you get a chance.

IF I need to "Go home" for extended care,, They will pick me up at hospital, take me to an airport, fly me home, and deliver me to the long term care facility.

If, alas, I am beyond medical help.. Change long term care to funeral home

They will transport my ashes (I plan on cremation when the time comes) and in fact paid me to transport my wife's ashes when her time came (Well they paid for the gasoline).

They will pay a porter to transport your Motor home or trailer and tow vehicle to the address you pre-select.

I can tell you .. It was one less worry.

And I made sure my daughter (And brother) know about the card.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are plenty of blogs online dealing with traveling the country "full-time". Surprised at all the ladies doing it. Try scoping out YouTube under "RVing full timers" Been following: Pippi Peterson, Technomadia, Nomadic Fanatic, Gone with the Wynn's, Wheeling it
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Good Sam offers "Travel Assist" which will return your RV to your home address. The plan also will get the non driving spouse home, and a bunch of other stuff. $99.00/year.

Worth looking into.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
99/year, And I thought my MASA membership was expensive at the time (at 99/year I think it will be paid for next year, or later this year).
Old 01-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #8

IMO, if anybody makes a, "Help my pets!", post on iRV2, there would be somebody (or somebodys) at the place ready to take the reins. That's what people do for each other, isn't it?