Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thor made it easy in our ACE 29.2... they call it the Mud Room located next to the exit door. I also added a motion sensor light (MuchBuy 8-LED Light Lamp PIR Auto Sensor Motion Detector) which even works when entering/leaving the MH. The Mud Room holds the litter box (Petco Large Open Litter Pan with Rim, SKU 1550284) and all support supplies/equipment.
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
We tried the box in the shower on our first trip with our 2 cats. I didn't like getting the litter cleaned up from the shower pan. We have a travel trailer with storage under the bed. My husband cut a hole in the side of the bed, between the supports. He edged it with some trim, and it looks fine (though nobody could see it unless they came in the bedroom door). The cats seem to like it. It controls the odors, and it is very easy to clean by opening the bedroom door and pulling the box out. We clean at least once a day, and sometimes twice. If it was bad weather, we could get to the box by raising the bed, though that is hard for me to do.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyBee View Post
I tried adding the picture of the cage set up we hope to use for a litterbox, but it didn't show in my last post. If it doesn't show up again, anyone know why? :O
You need to upload it to a free site like Photobucket.com and then copy and paste the URL here. I wish this Forum was like Facebook where pictures are concerned.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catstravel View Post
We now keep the spray water bottle on the step. This has stopped her escapes.
The spray bottle worked on all 4 of our cats. They wont go near the RV doors now.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #33

I have 2 cats and have cut a hole in the partition from the bedroom to the under-storage area. I keep their litter box in the storage area and they love the privacy. It is also very easy to clean. I can put a piece of wood in front of the hole to keep them inside when I clean their box from the outside. No smell and easy cleaning. NEVER keep the litter box and the food dishes close to each other. Your cats can get very sick from dust and feces transfer. Scratch posts and toys are a must. Happy kitties means happy humans! Also keep the water dish up on a counter. Helps keep the dust and dirt out of it, easy to refill and big feet won't kick it over. Doggy Daddy is very very wrong about declawing. I've seen cats who have been declawed by vets that have lost use in whats left of their toes, mangled paws, pain with every step and the inability to defend themselves. Nail covers are a much better and safer route to go if kitty likes to shred furniture. Good luck!
Life Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Camper View Post
NEVER keep the litter box and the food dishes close to each other. Your cats can get very sick from dust and feces transfer.
Excellent advice.

Quote:
Scratch posts and toys are a must. Happy kitties means happy humans! Also keep the water dish up on a counter. Helps keep the dust and dirt out of it, easy to refill and big feet won't kick it over. Doggy Daddy is very very wrong about declawing. I've seen cats who have been declawed by vets that have lost use in whats left of their toes, mangled paws, pain with every step and the inability to defend themselves. Nail covers are a much better and safer route to go if kitty likes to shred furniture. Good luck!
The cruel amputations of the claws (declawing) has been outlawed in all civilized nations now. The veterinarians here in the USA are more concerned about their income than the welfare of cats. You would think they themselves would fight this type of surgery but they do not. If anyone has furnishing more important than their cat's welfare, they need not get a cat. They should get a dog or a stuffed animal.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Some reading about declawing and where it's becoming illegal to do.
FAQ - States Where Declawing Cats is Illegal
It appears from this article that NO (US) state outlaws declawing of house cats. I know a lot of people don't believe in the practice, but if a ban was passed, it would decrease the number of households willing to adopt a cat. Very short sighted.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #36

Not short sighted, Humane! If you're furniture is that important to you, you should not have cats. Most cats don't claw furniture anyway if you give them scratching posts. If they do claw you're sofa, perhaps it is a sign of something wrong, they're unhappy about something. Try to find out what the problem is instead of cutting off their toes!
Life Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I appreciate folks passion on the de-clawing topic, however let's not hijack the OP's thread and stay on the topic of litter box placement. Thanks.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put ours in the shower stall. I removed the glass door and replaced it with a shower curtain as leaving the door open closed off the walkway too much. The door is saved in the stick house for when we sell/trade the MH. All seven of ours share the one litter box with no trouble although once in a while someone hangs over the side but cleanup is easy.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
It appears from this article that NO (US) state outlaws declawing of house cats. I know a lot of people don't believe in the practice, but if a ban was passed, it would decrease the number of households willing to adopt a cat. Very short sighted.
Getting back on-topic, and declawing is related to litterboxes as most cat owner can tell you who have bothered to do some research:

Short-sighted? Many cats refuse, because of unnatural pain where the claws and last bone of the toes were removed, to step in litter, dig in litter or bury their waste. These maimed cats end up in shelters or euthanized because the owners wont put up with a condition they themselves created - refusal to use a litterbox. This costs these innocent cats their lives. So in the end it comes out equal.

Cats are digitigrade and are unable to walk normally for the rest of their lives after their toes are amputated at the last bone. Why do people think this cruel surgery is banned in so many countries? I think it's 31 countries now.

There are people who wont have a cat unless it's declawed? Good - that many less cats maimed and rendered defenseless for life. Cats that are living with pain every day because of someone's sofa. If furnishing are more important than the welfare and well being of their cat, the person shouldn't own one. They can get a canary, a guinea pig or hamster instead.

We have 4 cats and several cat-condos with carpeting and/or rope to claw on the legs. We also have several scratching posts spread around the house. We have no problems with them clawing our furnishings. And no problems with them refusing to use the litter totes.

If we can get past the greedy vets and people putting material objects before living beings, de-clawing will be banned here in the USA as well.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Getting back on-topic, and declawing is related to litterboxes as most cat owner can tell you who have bothered to do some research:

Short-sighted? Many cats refuse, because of unnatural pain where the claws and last bone of the toes were removed, to step in litter, dig in litter or bury their waste. These maimed cats end up in shelters or euthanized because the owners wont put up with a condition they themselves created - refusal to use a litterbox. This costs these innocent cats their lives. So in the end it comes out equal.

Cats are digitigrade and are unable to walk normally for the rest of their lives after their toes are amputated at the last bone. Why do people think this cruel surgery is banned in so many countries? I think it's 31 countries now.

There are people who wont have a cat unless it's declawed? Good - that many less cats maimed and rendered defenseless for life. Cats that are living with pain every day because of someone's sofa. If furnishing are more important than the welfare and well being of their cat, the person shouldn't own one. They can get a canary, a guinea pig or hamster instead.

We have 4 cats and several cat-condos with carpeting and/or rope to claw on the legs. We also have several scratching posts spread around the house. We have no problems with them clawing our furnishings. And no problems with them refusing to use the litter totes.

If we can get past the greedy vets and people putting material objects before living beings, de-clawing will be banned here in the USA as well.
Well said. It is, indeed, a cruel, inhumane practice. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2014, 02:23 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratob377 View Post
Hi guys. We have 2 fur balls, nermel and muffin, that will traveling with us quite a bit this year. First time in the motor home, looking for some ideas as to where to hide the litter box. Thanks Aaron and Kristy
What a shame! This was the OP just wanting to get some ideas on liter box placement. What did this turn into? Peoples ideas on animal cruelty, the law, and adoption. And I thought this forum was about rv'ing.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #42

Cat's claws

You're right Life camper. When i raised Persians I Made my potential owners sign contracts that they would not declaw AFTER I assessed their attitude toward the subject along with cat scratching behavior. You didn't get my kittens if you were not going to be a fit parent. Declawing is cruel and unusual, for ppl who don't really want a cat. If it sheds will you shave it? Even with a scratching post, mine claw my furniture from time to time. I don't buy expensive furniture, and my friends know I own cats. Get over it or don't own animals,
Wanderchris is offline   Reply With Quote