Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #1

Wireless fence

Hello,

We're new to RV'ing, and would like to take our cairn terrier with us. We use an underground radio fence at home, and would like to know how the wireless system works at the campsite.

Can you adjust the perimeter small enough to contain the dog within the boundaries of the typical campsite?

Any insight will be most appreciated.

Thank you

Ted and Phoebe

2014 Fun Finder 233RBS TT
Browning725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning725 View Post
Hello,

We're new to RV'ing, and would like to take our cairn terrier with us. We use an underground radio fence at home, and would like to know how the wireless system works at the campsite.

Can you adjust the perimeter small enough to contain the dog within the boundaries of the typical campsite?

Any insight will be most appreciated.

Thank you

Ted and Phoebe

All the camps I go to won't allow a wireless fence. Most all require a leash, but some allow caged fence.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
All the camps I go to won't allow a wireless fence. Most all require a leash, but some allow caged fence.
Shellback1,

That makes sense...a passerby wouldn't know if dog was contained.

We just purchased our new TT, and will take delivery next week. We haven't camped in about 20 years, and that was with a small Coleman. Back then, if I remember correctly, most places we camped (no elect, no water hookups) didn't allow pets.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sign at entrance to park, also check in paper work says

ALL PETS MUST BE ON A LEASH

So when Amber, my Queen Cat, takes me out for a walk, she keeps me on a leash.

(Nobody has cats as a pet, Cats have HUMANS as pets don't you know)
Old 04-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Now a days most all CG have full hookups, cable, WIFI, etc. Some have dog breed restrictions, pit bulls, Rottweilers. Some have restricions on size of dogs (over 20 lbs). Suggest you call the CG to check first.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with a wireless system is that other animals will cross into your "yard".

As noted above,all we have ever seen is that all dogs must be on a leash and may not be left tied out unless the owner is out with the pet.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As others have commented leash rules at most all campgrounds would preclude the use of a wireless fence. If you elected to boondock areas could likely be found where you could layout a wireless fence. As to your implementation question I don't see a problem with getting it functional laid an the ground encircling a motorhome.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. I don't currently have a wireless containment, just an in-ground wired invisible radio fence. I figured sense our dog is trained to use the radio correction at home, it would be a solution to contain him at our RV home on the road.

Another thread in this forum showed a folding fence system. That seems a little more "permanent" than we need. I think we'll just need to get him used to a tie-out/leash arraignment. Cain Terriers are pretty accommodating.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #9

Pet containment

The seasonal campground that I reserved a site at will allow invisible fences. I am in the processes of ordering a site sign to put up stating "Dogs contained by invisible fence". I have an invisible fence at home and it works fabulously.
Kaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #10

According to the SPCA in our area, the purpose of a wireless fence is to allow a dog to run without a leash in your yard BUT the dog is to be supervised at all times. The wireless fence is NOT designed to be a replacement for a 'real fence.'

The battery in the dog collar can go dead at any time. Dogs do run "out of the boundary or fence" line of the invisible fence, not to mention another dog running into the area. It becomes an issue as nearly all homeowners do not use the wireless fence in this manner.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote