Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Wow, using Iichy's logic, we should field an All Woman military, since millions of male combatants have died in combat, compared to only a few female combatants. The shear genius of it all -- women are much safer in combat than men.

That doesn't follow from anything I've said and would be an absolutely terrible idea. I'm strongly opposed to women in the armed forces. Women simply aren't as capable in that arena as men are. Fortunately, they are just as capable when it comes to solo RV life.

And since you seem to want to play such games, Bob may or may not get arrested, depending on the particular situation when LEOs arrive, as described in the post you quoted. (Did you read the quote, cuz your answer is there.) If cops arrive to a bar where there is nobody injured, or engaged in fighting, and the bar itself doesn't push for trespassing violations or destruction of property, or anything like that, there is nothing for the cops to do. There has to be evidence for someone to be arrested. Speeding is illegal, but if no cops see you doing it, and you're gone by the time they get to the house that called them to report you, and that house doesn't have exterior video cameras that can prove that you were speeding, there's nothing for a cop to do. He can't arrest you just because some old lady called them to complain that you were speeding.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
The only thing I could add is: I know no woman that can analyze and fix all the crap that breaks on our poorly built RVs. Some men can.
I bought a new 5er and PU for my sister in law. She can drive and set it up by herself. But fixing, No.

I bet the solo women on this forum can fix things that break. Maybe you should teach your sister the basics, just as someone taught you. Or put her in a situation where she actually has to fix something and I bet she'll turn out handier than you think.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Women are not as capable as men in combat? Hmmm, tell that to Rhonda Rowsey. Some are very capable, several have graduated from Army Ranger school. But for the most part, women are smaller and weaker than men. And that alone makes them excellent targets for cowardly muggers. They are also the SINGLE target of choice for rapists. CBS News (if you can believe them) found that men are three times more likely to own a gun than women. Gun ownership: Men, 47%; women, 15%. Owning a gun does not mean carrying a gun, but NOT owning a gun DOES MEAN not carrying a gun.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Women are not as capable as men in combat? Hmmm, tell that to Rhonda Rowsey. Some are very capable, several have graduated from Army Ranger school. But for the most part, women are smaller and weaker than men.

I want to bring your attention to what you wrote there.

"Women are not as capable as men in combat?" and

"women are smaller and weaker than men".

Women being smaller and weaker than men on average is exactly why they are not as capable as men in combat. Rhonda is a fantastic athlete and could easily beat the crap out of me and everyone else on this forum, but Anderson Silva would beat her to a bloody pulp with her own arm. Like for like, and the men beat the women every time. There's a reason men and women fight (and play virtually all sports) in different categories. If they were equals in sports, there wouldn't be separate categories for the sexes.

Take the example of Venus and Serena Williams. They are excellent tennis players, but made the mistake of getting arrogant and claiming they could beat any man not in the top 200. Karsten Baraasch (ranked 203 at the time) stepped up and challenged them both directly. He then proceeded to beat them both badly (6-1 and 6-2 IIRC), one after the other. They were very highly ranked and at the top of their game. He wasn't even in the top 200 and whipped them both badly. It would have only been worse for the girls had they taken on an equally ranked man.

Yes, there are some women who are very capable fighters who can even make it through Army Ranger school. Those women are rare and not representative of the fairer sex in that regard. Their existence doesn't impact the fact that the average man is more capable than the average women in terms of combat ability. The existence of Estelle Getty doesn't mean the average woman is old, frail, and incapable. (No offense to Mrs. Getty intended)
Old 06-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
The only thing I could add is: I know no woman that can analyze and fix all the crap that breaks on our poorly built RVs. Some men can.
I bought a new 5er and PU for my sister in law. She can drive and set it up by herself. But fixing, No.

[moderator edit]

I know many people that can’t analyze and fix all of the crap that breaks on our RVs and I know many that can and they are not defined by gender or any other demographic designation.

I am dismayed at society’s apparent need to define a person by a demographic of any kind. It’s decisive and disrespectful to the individual. We are, after all, individuals with strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, interests and passions. We make choices and regardless of the box society wants to cram us into people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect for who they are not what they are.

These boxes....Why does it happen? Who does it help?
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:50 AM   #48

This conversation was destined for doom from post one. The feminists will always wind up in a "you cant have it both ways" scenario and there will always be men who are self aware of their gene's and know what is true.

In both cases its best to keep quiet and smile. Quite frankly that is the solution to most hot topics like this in today's climate.

Case and point: the key to a happy marriage; when the wife asks if she looks fat most men know the answer. When the wife sees her husband totally screw up the car she should know what to say.

Can't we all just get along? Yes, yes we can.

Just like women men feel they need to ask questions about being a man alone.. just let them ask and respond with kindness would be my unsolicited advice.
Barchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #49

There are some points you make that I agree with and some that I think are sadly true. Some I completely disagree with.

Let me just say this. Unless and until we as a society begin to treat everyone the same regardless of “fill in the blank” we will continue to have the same old problems.

The women I know can repair a broken axle on their Jeep on an off road trail with no more than a jack and a recovery strap and drive it off the trail home. I spent last summer analyzing the problems with a friends MH (which he ignored) until a mobile RV guy told him the same thing for $$$. You just can’t judge a persons abilities by the demographic and stereotypical box society wants to put them in. If ( and yes, I understand this is unlikely to happen, but I keep trying) we would start looking at things more globally and as whatever it is applies to everyone regardless of “fill in the blank” we’d find better solutions and a more harmonious existence.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #50
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Some posts have been edited & deleted for snarky, sarcastic personal attacks. You all know this is against forum Communty Rules.

This is obviously a controversial topic. We expect you all to discuss the subject without baiting, attacking or sniping at each other or move on.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #51

My apologies, I didn’t see that comment as any of those things. I’ll try to do better
Old 06-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
The women I know can repair a broken axle on their Jeep on an off road trail with no more than a jack and a recovery strap and drive it off the trail home.
Boy, I sure couldn't.

But in that vein...I took an air conditioning and refrigeration class 40 years ago. I was, to no one's surprise, the only girl in there. Well, I guess it was a surprise there was any girl in there at all.

We learned to solder and braze copper tubing using an oxyacetylene torch. We had to do a project that started with a long piece of tubing, and we had to cut it and bend it, and assemble it into an arrangement that had had some number of joints and bends. To pass, it couldn't have any leaks when under pressure.

Mine was the only one to pass the first time it was tested. Instead of congratulating me, the teacher opined that it was probably because I was used to doing things that involve fine motor skills. "Like sewing," he added.

I won't even repeat the comments that were directed at me, as the only female in a group introductory session I attended for the Carpenters' Union (in conjunction with the building trades class I was also taking).

These real-world experiences have informed my view of what it's like for women to navigate in the world, and I likewise acknowledge reality in recognizing that there's a difference between how things should be and how they actually are. Statistically, women are smaller and weaker than men, and a smaller and weaker person would generally be a more attractive target in a crime where physically overpowering the victim is desired (e.g., a random mugging in a rest area). I don't see acknowledging the difference in size between men and women as dissing women, or infantilizing them, or standing in their way of anything. It's just a fact.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #53

My point is that putting women in any box that says they are “fill in the blank” does nothing good for individuals. When you do that, you are including individuals for which that isn’t true and it makes it harder to break free of that.

People tend to see what they believe. To change perceptions we, as individuals have to change what people see and to do that we have to change what they believe.

We are not all the same, we shouldn’t be defined by our gender.

We’ve all had experiences as you’ve described, and it’s not just women. Any time someone ventures out of their “cultural norm” it’s uncomfortable for people. I ran into it when I was certified to sail larger boats single handed, I was the only woman, I had to laugh, every man abandoned ship before I docked it. They all were embarrassed when I docked it by myself better than any of them.

I’ve never limited myself by my gender, neither did my mother, nor do my daughters and I know you’re going to find this weird but my husband hasn’t either. We’re individuals, go chase your dreams and don’t let your perceived gender stereotypes get in the way. And don’t use those gender stereotypes as a victim card to play when you want special treatment.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
And don’t use those gender stereotypes as a victim card to play when you want special treatment.
I don't.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #55

Just my thought...

I am recently widowed and my husband and I had RV'd for several years but going it alone was scary for me. Our best friends and camping buddies moved on without me after he died, so I felt that the encouragement from other women who did it alone would be good for me. And it has been.

I don't feel like those women's groups are saying they need special treatment or that they are less capable of doing it, they just prefer the socialization with women. Some of them are gay, some of them have had very bad relationships with men, and I'm sure there are other reasons as well. I'm sorry if it bothers you that you are excluded, but I think they have that right, just like I believe the boy scouts have a right to exclude girls. (apparently some don't agree)

I look hoping to find rallies or group events with the Solo RVers from this group as well, and that might even be a better fit for me in the long run.
nanalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #56

I am amazed that in this day and age there is still so much sexism around. I was in the military for 22 years. I saw females and males doing the same jobs. Some were better than others. I believe that if someone is qualified, and wants to do a certain job (or occupation) they should be allowed to do it. I met my wife in the Army. She was an MP. She is 5'6" and weighed 130 lbs. She didn't only arrest females or small males, she handled anyone she had to or called for back-up, just like her male counter parts did. She was trained to do the job, and she did it.
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote