Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #15

Thank you all so much. I greatly appreciate the variety of viewpoints here and am taking them all into consideration.

I think it's a mix of the media making a big deal out of everything and scaring my family, but also there is some real danger for solo women. I don't want to let fear get the best of me, but I also don't want to end up in a ditch if some small changes could prevent that.

I used to be part of a gun club but the state I'm in now is pretty anti-gun. I don't think I'll be able to keep a gun in my home where I am currently living, but I'll try to change that once I move. I'm going to look into the laws about other states and see if I can make a plan and stay on the right side of the law and keep myself safer.

My dog is a sweetheart to anyone he knows, but I don't doubt for a moment that he'd die defending our home against an intruder. However, he's still a dog at the end of the day and he doesn't have the awareness about how crazy and dangerous humans can be, and an armed intruder could kill either or both of us pretty quick.

I think it would be nice to get back into shooting, as it's a sport/hobby that used to be a ton of fun. I only stopped because of where I live now.

I'm still not sure if I ought to swap my current travel trailer for a class A, skoolie, class C, or whatever. I think that it's probably worth making my doors a little stronger, but I don't want to be too scared to sleep outside under the stars when I want to, and a gun might help with that. A few months ago I had some dude come up to my tent in the middle of the night talking about slitting throats. I was able to talk him down from his rage, and realized that he was actually/supposedly the property owner. I thought I was on public land because I was in the middle on nowhere, it wasn't well marked and I didn't have a gps.

That spooked me pretty well. I've got decent people skills but getting woken up at 1am by an angry stranger talking about slitting throats has got me reconsidering what I can do to keep myself safer in the future. A GPS is definitely also on the list so I can make sure I'm not inadvertently camping on private land.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #16

You asked if RVs are safe. Yes they are. Where you park may not be safe. It doesn't matter where you travel, situation awareness, your self-confidence and how you choose to ensure your own safety wherever you are will be the important issues. Don't rely on the RV itself to provide the safety you think you need. Personally, I am comfortable wherever I want to be.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:50 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole14 View Post
I am a solo woman and I like rural areas. The last time I went camping in southern Nevada, I came back to some very worried people. They were terrified that I was alone in the desert, no phone service, no gun, etc, and warned me that there are meth addicts out there.

Is this a real problem? Is this actually something I need to really worry about?

My trailer door lock is pretty flimsy, and I often leave my windows open with just the screen covering them so I can enjoy the fresh air.

I'm looking into switching to a new set-up, so I'm open to choosing something that would be more resistant to thieves or whomever. I read that school buses are very safe because they are designed to protect children, but that they are hard to park in cities and many other places. What are the options for a new home on wheels that is also safe enough that my family won't need to worry so much?
Use common sense, if it doesn't seem right, move on. I swear. I can't believe how scared people are today. Stop watching the "news", and junk TV and get out there and enjoy yourself.
The problems are in the cities, not in the middle of the desert. Would you overnight in Baltimore city or Chicago? No, common sense will tell you that's a bad idea.
Meth addicts? You can run into those losers at the local mall.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #18

Are RV's safe ? No, not for your wallet.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
Old 10-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
It is more dangerous in a city that in an rv boondocking. Meth addicts cant find drugs in the desert and don't hang out there.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:43 PM   #20
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Traveling alone I have felt safer in a class C. Did the TT & the class A.

I like the Class C.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #21

One thing not mentioned yet is wildlife! Remember some snakes, bears, wolves, cougars, moose, etc. will be in different areas and can be a threat at times. Now what ones vary by where you are like no moose in the desert. Still might want a gun with snake shot there. Still not a many of these will come looking for you it's more a matter of being aware and not spooking them.

As to two legged problems if out in the wilds not real likely to meet a criminal but above advice from others is all good.

Tom
Old 10-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #22

Can you believe that there are many, many RVers that travel comfortably without a gun?
Old 10-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep in mind if there is an emergency you can call 911 even if your cellphone says you have no coverage. I've done it where three of us had different cellphone carriers that showed no signal when we were on the coast in California.

A lot of private businesses have their own cellphone systems, especially in Nevada with the mining companies, and they are all required to answer a 911 call even if you aren't part of their network.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Wasp / hornet spray can send a stream 8 feet up to a hive in your eaves if required.
I keep a can of wasp spray next to the fire extinguisher which is a pretty effective non-lethal deterrent for intruders.

I have used both for the intended purpose so it is not like they are weapons. It is just a plan to McGiver what you might need in an emergency.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #25

Keep doing what you're doing! The idea of METH heads in the desert came from the show "Breaking Bad" and they were METH cooks. If your comfortable with a gun get one. If your comfortable with a dog get one. Wasp spry ETC, do what makes you comfortable! Remember there are a lot of bad people EVERYWHERE but that doesn't mean that you have to stop doing what you love to do. Just take necessary precautions and keep your head on a swivel. If you get a bad feeling somewhere, keep going, Don't take chances. I've owned dogs my entire life and I think they are the best kind of protection, I also come from a long line of hunters and target shooters, so I have owned guns my entire life and so has my wife. If I had a choice of only one item for protection it would be a dog. They give you an early warning if something is wrong, and that's not only a bad guy. They wake you up when anything is not right. Also as much as I like my guns they don't give you that unconditional love like a dog does. I say get a dog and some sort of self defense item like a bat or pepper spray or bear spray. If you spend to much time worrying about things you won't be able to have fun.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole14 View Post
Thank you all so much. I greatly appreciate the variety of viewpoints here and am taking them all into consideration.

I think it's a mix of the media making a big deal out of everything and scaring my family, but also there is some real danger for solo women. I don't want to let fear get the best of me, but I also don't want to end up in a ditch if some small changes could prevent that.

I used to be part of a gun club but the state I'm in now is pretty anti-gun. I don't think I'll be able to keep a gun in my home where I am currently living, but I'll try to change that once I move. I'm going to look into the laws about other states and see if I can make a plan and stay on the right side of the law and keep myself safer.

My dog is a sweetheart to anyone he knows, but I don't doubt for a moment that he'd die defending our home against an intruder. However, he's still a dog at the end of the day and he doesn't have the awareness about how crazy and dangerous humans can be, and an armed intruder could kill either or both of us pretty quick.

I think it would be nice to get back into shooting, as it's a sport/hobby that used to be a ton of fun. I only stopped because of where I live now.

I'm still not sure if I ought to swap my current travel trailer for a class A, skoolie, class C, or whatever. I think that it's probably worth making my doors a little stronger, but I don't want to be too scared to sleep outside under the stars when I want to, and a gun might help with that. A few months ago I had some dude come up to my tent in the middle of the night talking about slitting throats. I was able to talk him down from his rage, and realized that he was actually/supposedly the property owner. I thought I was on public land because I was in the middle on nowhere, it wasn't well marked and I didn't have a gps.

That spooked me pretty well. I've got decent people skills but getting woken up at 1am by an angry stranger talking about slitting throats has got me reconsidering what I can do to keep myself safer in the future. A GPS is definitely also on the list so I can make sure I'm not inadvertently camping on private land.
Another thing that we do (when possible) when boondocking off the grid (no cell phone coverage) Is I let my son know the area we are going to be and when we will be out of that area. If he doesn't hear from us by the time stated, I hope he would call someone to help us. We've never had a problem. But I always try and let him know where we are and for how long.
I think everyone should do something like this. I did the same thing when went fishing in the ocean on my boat, I always made sure someone knew where I was heading and I stuck to that area.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #27

A lot of opportunities for bad people happen at fuel stops. These people are usually looking for a free handout or else some game of they need a few gallons to get down the road when in fact they are going to resale and get a fix. Keep in mind that spay from a fuel nozzle is a great deterrent and that chances are not good for getting help from bystanders.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #28

Nicole, My first reaction to the responses was like W-D-I: "They were watching Breaking Bad." My (never having been there) prejudicial implant: 'You're not going to Arkansas ..where all the Meth labs are!?"

I would tell my daughter to make a stop at the County Sheriff's office and ask about issues ...'let them know you are visiting.

Jim
Closed Thread

Tags
rvs, solo