Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTONBERNIE View Post
No gun???????how did you leave home without????i would leave without food and water before i would leave without protection.
What are you so afraid of?? LOL
I carry a container of pepper spray, mostly for defense against dogs or other four legged animals. Never been bothered by humans or dogs.
I just don't get the fear.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #86

Yes, it is a real problem. It serves no purpose to worry about it. There are some real creeps lurking in the desert; your chance of encountering the is very small. That said, I take extra precautions when camping in desert areas based on previous experiences.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:02 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
What are you so afraid of?? LOL
I carry a container of pepper spray, mostly for defense against dogs or other four legged animals. Never been bothered by humans or dogs.
I just don't get the fear.
Now, hold on there. Let's look at this realistically. Why do you jump from prudent prep to "...so afraid..."? That seems an extreme leap. You sound like there is more to your story. "...LOL..."

I keep fire extinguishers. Multiple. Not because I quiver in terror at the thought of fire.

I operate my vehicles with insurance. Not because I live in fear of wrecks or fire or border-swimmers / other illegals coming at me without insurance.

I grew-up on a farm. We were responsible for our animals. An injured or ill animal might need to be destroyed. Waiting for the veterinary would prolong suffering. I believe anybody without a way to terminate a suffering animal is irresponsible.

I choose my tools as a clear and powerful defense for my friends and family, my extended tribe because they are proven. You place your hope in your tool. May you and I never need to use them.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #88

Yikes What a Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Wasp / hornet spray can send a stream 8 feet up to a hive in your eaves if required.
The value of the Internet.

A simple readily available legal solution to personal protection.

I have a License to Carry in multiple states and have both long guns and pistols with us when we travel. That said they are their for hunting and target shooting, locked and securely stored.

For self defense the WASP SPRAY is an ideal solution, I will be moving my wasp spray from the storage compartment to inside the RV immediately and thinking about a way to carry it when hiking in areas that I am not familiar with the critters. Probably a good Bear spray, aggressive critter spray also.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #89

No gun here. I do carry a big can of bear spray.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hames57 View Post
Solo women are at very high risk.
Do you have any statistics to back that up?

According to Cohen, the most dangerous occupation is being unemployed. Think about that the next time you head out in your RV.

The difference between rational fear and irrational fear is knowledge.

The risk of dying is one. My wife recently died in her sleep next to me in the MH. The previous night and the one before had been spent around the campfire with many old and some new friends. When we left the house three weeks before we had our granddaughter with for the first leg of the trip.

The important point is to enjoy life to its fullest. The risk of dying an unnatural death is small. The risk of dying as a result of a bad person is even smaller.

The risk of dying while enjoying a RV is tiny, tiny, tiny.

This is not to say risk of a bad thing happening should not be mitigated. Looking next to the front door I have the wasp spray, fire extinguisher, duck tape, big pretty rock, and tool for thumping tires.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Bear Spray or mace

We have bear spray in back in our bedroom. If the intruder breaks in, I don't really want to be near him/her. It sprays long. In front and in the door pocket of our cars/TOAD we carry mace.

I think bad people can be anywhere, looking for an opportunity. Be aware...
Old 11-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #92

I am a solo RV senior woman. There are plenty of us--just look at youtube. There's an RV group I belong to on facebook, RV Women in Florida, just for us. I have been all around the country. Laws differ state to state on firearms, so it would be better not to have one. Plus, you can't get into Canada with either pepper spray for humans or with a gun. But pepper spray for bears is just fine. I also have a couple of dogs who travel with me.

I'm not sure what the point of living is if you are going to let fear rule you. Go out and have fun.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7500 View Post
I am a solo RV senior woman. There are plenty of us--just look at youtube. There's an RV group I belong to on facebook, RV Women in Florida, just for us. I have been all around the country. Laws differ state to state on firearms, so it would be better not to have one. Plus, you can't get into Canada with either pepper spray for humans or with a gun. But pepper spray for bears is just fine. I also have a couple of dogs who travel with me.

I'm not sure what the point of living is if you are going to let fear rule you. Go out and have fun.
You go girl!! I agree totally with you. There are so many solo RVers out there and having talked to them as full-timers, we never heard of one having issues. Having to always look over your shoulder or think the worst when someone walks up to you must put a lot of stress on a person.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #94

Solo camping

The answer by beamisl is rather to the point. If you love life and do not want to donate it to a none charitable cause, then it would seem to be up to you to be willing to defend yourself. The overall risk is rather low, when boondocking, but not zero. It is true, that your screen gives little protection. In light of that, it is rather simple to take a concealed carry course, buy your weapon of choice and practice. As it has been said, when danger is seconds away, the police are only minutes/hours away and they have absolutely no obligation to protect you. You might want to look that one up.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #95

bear spray vs pepper spray
Bear spray has a much lower concentration of oleoresin capsicum, and should only be used as a bear deterrent. Pepper spray is a self defense weapon intended to incapacitate human threats, and it is very effective at doing this due to its higher concentration of oleoresin capsicum.
https://www.selfdefenseninja.com/bea...ts-difference/
Old 11-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #96

7 years of full-timing, 60% to 70% of the time I'm "off grid". The ONLY time I encountered anyone that seemed like a potential threat was a drunk Native American begging for money in a Walmart parking lot. When he didn't respond favorably when asked to move on, his eyesight was blurry but his hearing picked up on the sound of me ratcheting the rack of my 12 gage tactical shotgun. He was in a different zip code within a few seconds never to be seen again.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:21 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
7 years of full-timing, 60% to 70% of the time I'm "off grid". The ONLY time I encountered anyone that seemed like a potential threat was a drunk Native American begging for money in a Walmart parking lot. When he didn't respond favorably when asked to move on, his eyesight was blurry but his hearing picked up on the sound of me ratcheting the rack of my 12 gage tactical shotgun. He was in a different zip code within a few seconds never to be seen again.
i see two problems with the last partof your posting. onereal the other legal .
1: a gun should already have somethingin the chamber. a empty gun just a stick.
2: a creap with a crocked lawyer can win in court saying you threatened him with deadly fource.

[Moderator Edit] so please know a bit on said self defense laws.
never talk to the responding officer. just make a simple statement::
I was in fear of my life,
i wish to speak with my lawyer.
then keep your mouth shut.
but get into a womans only class and learn how a 80 pound gal can take down a 250 pound creap.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Please keep the post on topic and within the forum rules. In paticular the rule below.
Quote:
  • General posting or discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions or posting about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.
Thanks
Steve as Site Staff
Closed Thread

Tags
rvs, solo