Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

Are solo RVrs safe?

I am a solo woman and I like rural areas. The last time I went camping in southern Nevada, I came back to some very worried people. They were terrified that I was alone in the desert, no phone service, no gun, etc, and warned me that there are meth addicts out there.

Is this a real problem? Is this actually something I need to really worry about?

My trailer door lock is pretty flimsy, and I often leave my windows open with just the screen covering them so I can enjoy the fresh air.

I'm looking into switching to a new set-up, so I'm open to choosing something that would be more resistant to thieves or whomever. I read that school buses are very safe because they are designed to protect children, but that they are hard to park in cities and many other places. What are the options for a new home on wheels that is also safe enough that my family won't need to worry so much?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
We boondock as much as we can. I am prepared but have never encountered a bad situation. Just be aware of your surroundings and enjoy the area.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #3

If you like dogs. Get one. Great deterant to trouble and a great companion.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #4

What about thieves? I have a dog and he would probably scare most people off, but meth addicts can be pretty frightening and have weapons.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #5

We may not be politically correct but being licensed to carry and having things that go bang allow us to insure our own safety. Remember that when seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
You like fresh air, any RV (or single story home, for that matter) can easily be broken in to when you've got nothing but a screen between you and them.
That said, I wouldn't think that meth-heads are going to be hanging out way out in the boonies (or the desert). *I* would more expect to find them in an RV park than in the desert.
It might be prudent to have some way to defend yourself that you're comfortable with using, but if you choose to WORRY about it that's going to take all of the fun out of your camping.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The people that warned you about "meth addicts out there". Have they seen any or was it hear say? Reading the daily newspaper, there isn't any place safe to live anymore. Camping in the desert is probably 10x safer than the resort area I live in.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
Old 10-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I don’t think there are many meth addicts in the middle of the desert away from their sources but I’m not saying it would never happen. Stay somewhat close to others and you should be fine. Most people are pretty good contrary to popular opinion. If we worry too much about things that might happen we wouldn’t do anything. Don’t let worry stop you from enjoying your life. IMO. Enjoy!
Old 10-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #9

I agree with above,,, don't "worry" about things...I can only remember once really there was a "shady "person driving around the rv park we were in for the night. He was all most "insisting" to take my wifes picture of her walking our Dane. When he saw me watching, he drove off... No prob... Just stay aware, you will be fine... Enjoy the experience ! That said, be prepared And aware... Monkey
Old 10-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #10

Wasp / hornet spray can send a stream 8 feet up to a hive in your eaves if required.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Were the concerned folks your family? Some of my family were horror struck that I sometimes camped by myself in a tent! The national news picks up stories from across the country and hype them up so everyone is afraid of their shadows these days. I do take some precautions, not because I am worried about rape or murder but because accidents can happen to anyone. I camp in places with cell phone service. Friends I know that go totally off grid (I have a lot of river runner friends) take a SPOT device. Each day you punch an “I’m OK” message that goes to those you have authorized. It can give your last/lon position too. You can also send emergency messages. At least they will know where the body is LOL!

Actually I would worry less in the boonies than near a town. Meth heads stay close to their suppliers; they don’t drive around 10-20 miles from town hoping to find something to steal. They do it right from the RV park in town!
Old 10-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole14 View Post
I am a solo woman and I like rural areas. The last time I went camping in southern Nevada, I came back to some very worried people. They were terrified that I was alone in the desert, no phone service, no gun, etc, and warned me that there are meth addicts out there.

Is this a real problem? Is this actually something I need to really worry about?

My trailer door lock is pretty flimsy, and I often leave my windows open with just the screen covering them so I can enjoy the fresh air.

I'm looking into switching to a new set-up, so I'm open to choosing something that would be more resistant to thieves or whomever. I read that school buses are very safe because they are designed to protect children, but that they are hard to park in cities and many other places. What are the options for a new home on wheels that is also safe enough that my family won't need to worry so much?
Read up before you go out
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/dange...ng-371971.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/secur...ml#post4466075
Old 10-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #13

If your going to continue camping with a “flimsy” lock, and keep windows open,I would get a large dog and/or a weapon and get proper training. If you get a new rig I would do the same. There are lots of not so nice people around looking for an opportunity.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nicole,

Safety is a huge issue for anyone now days. The reality is there are people out there who are willing to hurt you to obtain your things or rape you. Whether you run into them or not is another thing. If you are NOT willing to carry a firearm and get trained how to properly use it, or use it at all if the time comes that you might need to then find something else you are willing to do.

Baseball bat, hornet spray, knife, pepper spray, stun gun??? Something is better than nothing. If you are ever attacked you will find yourself remembering this conversation and wishing you had SOMETHING to protect yourself with. Walking stick would also be great to take with you so you have it out on the trail and when you get back. If you choose the baseball bat or walking stick route practice with it. Don't care how silly it looks but practice. You develop muscle memory through practice that comes forward during an attack.

I work with women who have been victims of domestic violence. I can tell you that you do NOT want this to happen to you. We teach them how to protect themselves, how NOT to be a victim, how NOT to put yourself in a dangerous position. How to fight if they do.

One of the questions we ask them is did they have any sense that something was wrong, that gut feeling something is NOT right. If you pull into an area that doesn't feel right, then leave! Put shoes on your stairs to your entrance. If the rig is dark they will fall over them and give you warning. Keep your steps on auto so you hear them going down or retracting. Keep the bat, firearm, or knife ,walking stick by your bed. You are limited inside a rig with swinging room so keep that in mind. Do not engage in the hallway.

Going into a store to purchase groceries or anything, before you go in have the money you think you will spend in your pocket. Never open your billfold in front of other people in the store. If you sense someone following you out turn around and go back inside. If they see money there they can follow you. Be vigilant and think about your actions. At a gas station lock your vehicle doors when you get out to pump gas. Keep your purse down on the floor with a blanket or something thrown over it to keep it from being visible.

I am not trying to scare you but give you some defense mechanisms that may save you if God forbid the awful does happen. You can be safe out on the road but you need to be prepared.

Me, I carry a firearm and I practice with it. I also have a bat and a stick and a knife. Pray to never have to use them but the women I work with have taught me to be prepared. Follow your gut, it will save you over and over again. Only one time while traveling did I feel unsafe. We moved on.

Best of luck to you.
Closed Thread

Tags
rvs, solo