Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #1

Are you a true solo'er

I have been watching some youtube vids lately and ran across some vids where people of both genders claiming to be solo'ers when actually they are not. It is not a huge deal because at least they are RV'ing.

However, it does kinda get under my skin a bit that they claim to fall into the same category as those of us that deal with the everyday challenges of being REAL solo'ers.

The difference is that those people on the videos travel with friends or companions either with them or in another RV, and to me that is not real solo'ing..

Real solo'ing is having to do everything yourself from sun up to sun down, no buddies around to help. Noone there when you are sick or have a flat tire. No comradery around the campfire at night, no help figuring out budget plans, travel plans, or help with anything in person. Real solo'ing is just that, being and traveling alone all the time all year long.

Having friends traveling with you for security, help, or anything as a caravan to me is not being a solo'er, its just being a traveler without a partner.

How do you all feel about this?

Thanks
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 11:43 PM   #2

It is hard to say, it depends on how you define things. In about 9 months of class A motorhome ownership, I have spent about 1/3 of my nights in the coach alone, about 1/3 have been on trips with my wife, and about 1/3 on mostly weekend trips with my college age son.

I personally consider myself of solo RV'er anytime I am traveling alone, though a gray area begins to show up in cases like the trip I have planned in a couple of weeks, where I will be driving up to Wyoming and my wife will be flying up to join me. This I almost see in my mind as 2 trips, a solo trip up there, and then a trip together touring Wyoming, as my mindset, routine, etc. is very different for the two types of traveling.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:28 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Isaac and yes i do see your point. Its possible i misunderstood the intent of this section of the forum. My original understanding is that it was for single travelers. However, that meaning is not posted on the category description and i guess i just assumed as much.

I can see your point as well that sometimes you are a solo traveler and sometimes not. I am actually unclear if the meaning of solo is just traveling alone (married or not) or traveling alone (single with no partner) maybe the admin might be able to share some clarity on the category intent?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:12 AM   #4

I think you will find all kinds of people there. A lot of folks here have been both or are part time both. The point is to post something useful if one can or stay out of the conversation. What would you rather have, no answer or a useful bit from a not currently single?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 AM   #5

I am just asking for some clarification is all. Im not wanting to kick anyone out into the snow here. I am just asking because the assumption on my part (and i could be wrong of course) is that i just assume that someone im talking with or those that post here share the same situation as i do. Afterall, we are (at least most of us) seeking some kind of mutual connection on subjects of one type or another.

But if someone is married or has a partner then they dont face the same challenges or experiences that many of us do and i just think it might lead to a bit of confusion sometimes as it has with me.

I hope that clarifies my position and why im asking for clarification of the category.

To answer your question, i would rather have no answer than an answer from someone that does not understand where im coming from.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I am, by your definition, a "solo'er" except for maybe 2-3 weekends a year, that said I think your being a little restrictive surely if someone considers them selves to be a solo'er that's enough?
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:07 AM   #7

It is possible that maybe there needs to be a sub forum to further specify the content.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
It is possible that maybe there needs to be a sub forum to further specify the content.

I think that will just engender an "Us" and "Them" situation, it also won't stop anyone from replying to any post if they feel like it (or even notice which sub-forum it's in).
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

Its true anyone would be able to post, but separation of content is what forums are about IMO. Its no different that regional or type of RV sections.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #10

Durango Dave I think you are reading way too much into the forum name. I am a true Solo'er and understand where you are coming from. I also fully understand that input from all types of folks (single, couples, hey even threesomes and more - get your mind out of the gutter I am talkin' bout couples with child or ren) can be beneficial. They call it diversity. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.
Being truly solo does have it challenges. Don't worry about a title. You are on an internet forum. You will have any and all types of people replying. It's all good. What's not good just ignore. Life is too short.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #11

I understand that it takes all kinds to make the world and the forum go round Its just a challenge because many non solo'ers who have the best intentions (and who are appreciated for their efforts) dont understand what its like to be one of the several types of true solo'ers. Which are:

1. Those who solo that have not found their other half and are actively seeking.
2. Those who solo and have lost their other half and are actively seeking a new one.
3. Those who solo and dont care if they ever meet their other half.
4. Those who solo and could have it either way.

Im just saying that those with full time partners cant fully understand the challenges of those of us without them face.

For example: True solo'ers have to maintain a special mindset when it comes to how, when, and where we do things. This is because for many true solo'ers if something were to happen it may take days or even weeks before anyone even missed them to go looking.

So how can someone with a full time partner who would call them in less than half a day understand what that feels like.

That is just one example of many of the challenges solo'ers face.

I do agree that i may be looking too deeply into the name. However that means that in a world of RV'ers we dont really have a place we can call our own on the forum.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Hmmmm, not sure I understand the big deal, imho, who cares. You could always start your own Forum, maybe require special id cards and passwords so you can verify that they are "solo" rv'ers
Old 07-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #13

Dave even here different individuals will have different levels of support networks, they may have siblings or grown children that they stay in contact with on a regular basis. Then there are cases like my upcoming trip where I will be driving about 1,300 miles alone and my wife will be flying up to meet me. Even with a nightly phone call or text message saying I am stopped for the night in X town that does not provide much support if I were to fall and break a leg, or worse.

As to the

"So how can someone with a full time partner who would call them in less than half a day understand what that feels like"

With my wife I would not count on it, we both frequently travel for work (well I am semi-retired so not so much any more), earlier this month my wife was in Chicago for a 5 day conference, in that time I received I think 3 text messages and no phone calls. Text 1, said her flight had landed and she was waiting on checked bags, text 2 was on day 2 or 3 saying she was eating dinner with a group of co-workers at a place where we had dined together when we were both in Chicago a few years ago, and text 3 was to say here flight home was delayed by a few hours.

If I am lucky I get 2-3 days notice that she will be out of town on overnight business trips, and maybe a couple of months notice most of the time on longer conferences.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Y'all have too much time on your hands..gave up on 3rd post.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo