Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Are You Solo with a Dolly?

I'm nearing my departure as fulltime and solo, and I am wondering if there are any solo RV'ers who tow a dolly? If so, how hard is it to get your toad loaded onto the dolly?

Do you have any tips?

I have no choice but to use a dolly with my car, and really can't afford to sell it and buy one to use flat towing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #2

Very easy. After experimenting with centering, you will know how far over to position your front tires. It's easy loading and unloading as well.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on the smart decision to dolly tow. Yes using the car you have is a good reason (same for us), and the car is safe, up high away from rock strikes and free of the mileage on the lower drive line.

We are not solo, but the toad loading is a solo task for us.
I guess a helper could - well - help, but it is not needed.

The only stop/check point for our dolly is centering the car, just before rolling up the ramps. I used to get out to look at the front, but after a while, I learned how much room is between the tire and the edge of the ramp. Our ramps are removeable, so the ramps are now always placed in the same spot against the dolly.

The rest is easy...strap and safety chain left, then right...double check the car's parking brake is off and steering lock (unlocked for our dolly) and drive away.

Also, we always stop after a short distance to double check the strap tightness...just to be safe.

Having loaded and unloaded the car many, many times, over the 4+ years we have used our dolly, it takes under 11 minutes to load and under 3 minutes to unload...EZE as can be.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:23 AM   #4

Yep, solo with a dolly here, also a female to boot. I had help loading the first time. Once the car was loaded properly the first time, I placed one of these on the dolly in front of the car so that it just touched the bumper of the car:

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower...MY1W096E0P1FY0

I then spray painted that location on the tow dolly so that I could position the magnet exactly each time. Now I can load the car and when the ball wiggles slightly, I know that I am far enough but not too far on the dolly. Simple but works for me.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:50 AM   #5

The ball thing is also a Harbor Freight item. I expect you could do something similar with any kind of flexible clamp or magnet mounted whip.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know nothing about loading a dolly as I pull 4 down.
But I did watch one being loaded the other day.

For some reason he put it up on the dolly & then back down 7 times before he was satisfied where it was on the dolly.

Is it that critical where the wheels must be?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #7

No
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post

For some reason he put it up on the dolly & then back down 7 times before he was satisfied where it was on the dolly.

OCD, practice, not sure of where it had to be?

I want to thank everyone, you have alleviated my fears of solo dolly use. Can't wait until I get on the road.

I've decided on an EZE Tow Dolly from ACME. My toad is a Prius, and theirs seems to be the best fit.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The DW has never helped load onto the dolly when we used it so I guess that makes me "solo". Have a KK-460 and used to tow our '05 Odyssey van. Still tow the van but four down now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:36 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
OCD, practice, not sure of where it had to be?

I want to thank everyone, you have alleviated my fears of solo dolly use. Can't wait until I get on the road.

I've decided on an EZE Tow Dolly from ACME. My toad is a Prius, and theirs seems to be the best fit.
Congrats on your choice! While I can have help to line up, I normally load and unload solo. I too have an EZE Tow and pull a Prius around.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post

It is best centered and straight when loading. They can move a bit after strapping down if not in the absolute perfect spot. The trick is to line it up centered, strap it. Do a couple of slow corners then stop and check strap tightness. Sometimes one gets a ratchet click or two. Sometimes not. If I get two clicks I do a couple of more corners and repeat. It's something that does not take long to do while it removes worry about a strap coming off. New straps also stretch a bit as the weave tightens so doing a few stop and checks into their first trip pays.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
Congrats on your choice! While I can have help to line up, I normally load and unload solo. I too have an EZE Tow and pull a Prius around.
I also have the EZE Tow and so far so good. We purchased the one with the surge break just to make it easy and works perfectly. Our 2005 Honda Odyssey is near but not over its weight limit. We did have loose straps after a few stops so I will do a few turns as suggested earlier and click it down a few more times. I think I mentioned it before but it is a very light weight dolly, so diconnecting and moving it around a camp site has been a brease.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #13

I Solo most of the time in a 35ft Newmar with a dolly. I have two cars I can tow ( A Smart and a Scion XB) both tow well and are easy to load. I line it up, check the position and drive it up onto the platform. Apply the emergency brake and tie it down. after it is secured I release the emergency brake (Very Important). And Off I go! the biggest issue I have is getting in an out of gas stations and that would be no different if someone was with you or not. Remember to check the car everytime you stop, have a cooler of cold drinks up front and Have Fun! No Bad Days.
Adbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly