Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

Question Can RVers Solo Together

I am very new to RVing and will be going fulltime once my condo sells. I have a 36 ft Class A motorhome and have been wondering if RVers can come together and share a RV as friends and see this country together. Not a relationship but a compannion to travel with. Can it be done, is it easy to do, and where would someone find such a compannion ?
Crossroads5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 12:08 AM   #2

Finding a travel companion.........

Guess you could advertise for one on Craigs List, local paper, put up fliers at RV Dealerships/repair shops/parts stores

Personally I would not want to travel with a stranger that I just meat and have no real background info on.
Hard enough to do with friends.

Good luck on finding that 'travel companion'
Better luck would be finding another Solo RVr with their own RV and just caravan together
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My friend/coworker and I have done it for business.

It helps that we are good friends and have a good deal in common.

Keep in mind how small and RV is, not much room to get away. It can be trying at times.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #4

I would recommend checking out the Wandering Individuals Network, they have circuits that you can join to travel around in groups. Not exactly what you are looking for, but would provide some companionship along the journey.
Blaklily56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:25 AM   #5

Keep in mind, most RV's don't have permanent sleeping arrangements for two people (as in two bedrooms) so you will have to put up with setting up the sofa bed or dinette bed and taking down EVERY day! Also the associated privacy issues to contend with.

Good luck with your travels whether they be solo or duo!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've gotten hits off of dating websites but usually a female that I would be attracted to has a job, kids, pets & men hitting on them constantly due to the fact that they're on a dating site!
I'm sick & tired of the city & small town crowds and love RVing alone. Everywhere I've gone the people I've met (usually couples, some ss I avoid) are ALL very nice & if you don't like your neighbors, you can move! Which I haven't ever had to do! Go for it, you won't look back!
Jackstraw54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a husband, but I traveled with my daughter, she is 45 and mildly
mentally challenged. He seldom goes as he just retired and wants to
stay home and WORK, WORK, WORK. He doesn't care if I go, thankfully,
and keeps my motorhome maintained. Wish he would go, but I'm not
going to stop because he won't. He worked overseas for 15 years, lived
in camps flew home every 8 weeks and lived out of a suitcase so I
understand why he doesn't care to.

My 92 American Eagle is in the shop now getting an overhaul on the engine. I looked at newer used and we worried that even a newer
one would have the same issues. Being I'm 70 and figure if I can
drive it with a toad for 5 more years I will be doing great, so this is
the most economical for us.

So there are different folks here with all kinds of different reasons for being here.

I have been to Quartzite and may just go again this year. Is there an area the solos gather in in Quartzite or certain dates? Otherwise I will just stay in a park in town for awhile and then move on. Have never joined the solos group out there before, would be a first.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #8

interesting concept ... but you would have to get along ... Crossroads5,,
Jazgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Finding a travel companion.........

Guess you could advertise for one on Craigs List, local paper, put up fliers at RV Dealerships/repair shops/parts stores

Personally I would not want to travel with a stranger that I just meat and have no real background info on.
Hard enough to do with friends.

Good luck on finding that 'travel companion'
Better luck would be finding another Solo RVr with their own RV and just caravan together
I like this idea
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Well...if you had said together as in our two rigs in a convoy and then camping in adjoining campsites....but otherwise no.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can it be done: IN theory yes
Is it easy to do... That is a more complex answer

Two people living that close for that long,,, Relationships tend to develop. Some are good, Some not so good.. What can I say.

Psychology is something I understand, but explaining it is not within my skill set.. Sorry.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:30 AM   #12

Staying in RV parks usually involves meeting people. Use your unit for short trips near your home base with the ability to return to friends and familiar surroundings. The trips will get longer the stops "home" shorter.

Who knows you may meet someone . . .
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Triple E Owners Club
Solo: one....uno....eine....Anything else is something other than...solo. At 67, I would never be interested in any woman who was interested in me. Thanks, Groucho Marx.
Well, never say never. But it's highly unlikely.
Willy Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been a solo full time RVer since May 2011. I know I could not share my motorhome with a friend or stranger even if I had one the size of yours and have never heard of any plutonic companions who do share the same coach.

I would suggest that you try joining WIN or Escapees solos for a few months to see if you enjoy the lifestyle. It could be a place to find someone you could share an RV with. I'm sure some of them may have tried. At the very least you might get some good stories.

I enjoy the freedom of being on my own, but I tend to be a bit of a hermit. I have RV friends who are couples that I do hang out with from time to time and I don't feel like a fifth wheel. It just takes me longer to set up and pack up as I'm doing the work of 2 people. I've gone to great lengths to arrange everything so I can do it alone -- from hooking up my toad to loading and unloading my kayak.

As far as being fearful as a single female in unknown places -- I thought about that a lot before choosing my RV. A motorhome seemed to be the safest since I can drive away without having to leave the relative safety of my RV. I never felt any fear, but I chose a small dog and trained her to use puppy pads so I wouldn't have to go outside at night.

Take your time to find the right path for you. It's really fun out here and the freedom of choosing where and when you want to be any place is marvelous.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo