Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk909er View Post
I am contemplating becoming a full time RVer. Many things are changing and it looks like a possibility that my marriage may end so I am looking at options and this full time RVing looks very appealing to me. I think my biggest concern is being lonely.

I don't want to be isolated and lonely, I would like to hear from some men especially what their experience is on this topic. Is this a fulfilling way to live and what about boredom or is there a way to keep engaged with others.

I am 58 and can totally retire from the government in 4 years but depending on my wife I may need to sell out everything sooner and I could buy an RV and stay here in San Diego until I retire.
If you don't have hobbies while traveling - golf, hiking, photography, etc you will get bored.
RVing won't change who you are.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
"I don't want to be isolated and lonely, I would like to hear from some men especially what their experience is on this topic. Is this a fulfilling way to live and what about boredom or is there a way to keep engaged with others."

Friendliest people on earth...my fellow RVers. Just say hello.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW21 View Post
"I don't want to be isolated and lonely, I would like to hear from some men especially what their experience is on this topic. Is this a fulfilling way to live and what about boredom or is there a way to keep engaged with others."

Friendliest people on earth...my fellow RVers. Just say hello.
It depends on you. (moderator edit) If you're not content being alone at home, you likely will be even more unhappy on the road. You will be the same person on the road that you are at home. Do you make friends easily at home? Are you outgoing? Are you shy? Do you spend a lot of time alone when home? Are you used to being alone? How's your self-confidence? Do you tend towards co-dependant relationships? These types of questions are what you must ask yourself.

Nobody else can answer your question. Only you know yourself well enough to answer it accurately.
HR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My ex-girlfriend and I broke up back in May. Since then I have traveled solo on a few trips, most recently across the country for three weeks. While it is nice to have someone along to talk to, it was still an enjoyable trip. I had my cat with me. She was good company.

I met some nice people at different campgrounds and attractions. Plus, I lucked out at a few campgrounds that had decent Wi-Fi, so I was in contact with friends online.

Being an only child, we tend to be more self-sufficient and learned at an early age how to entertain ourselves and actually enjoy not being bothered by others.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been solo for 3.5 years now. Still getting used to it..

Thankfully I'm fully trained cook and housekeeper but Still.. I miss a companion who is not all covered in fur.

(NOTE: accepting applications for traveling companion/housekeeper. Not interviewing yet but accepting applications)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #20

Sorry to hear about your situation, it sounds tough. I am also contemplating the RV solo life and am a very outgoing person and am worried I would get lonely on the road. I love to travel and meet new people but I also think I'd really get lonely if I didn't have a regular partner to share life with. I'v been single for a few years now myself and I get a bit lonely now, so I'd guess it would be the same or maybe even worse on the road. It's a great question and thanks for all the comments and feedback you've generated. HGood lukc with your decision and your solo journey-
mcj7247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So far I've been out four of five times since the DW died in August, 2016. Been mostly with a regional Country Coach group. Yes, I'm lonely even with the seven cats along but I also find that I don't join the group activities just because I want to be alone. Doesn't make sense does it?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So far I've been out four of five times since the DW died in August, 2016. Been mostly with a regional Country Coach group. Yes, I'm lonely even with the seven cats along but I also find that I don't join the group activities just because I want to be alone. Doesn't make sense does it?

I can't imagine dealing with the loss of a wife, like you do. When and if you feel like being with others, check out RVsingles.org I joined in Jan and spent the last 5 months in the Southwest with them. Really enjoyed most of the folks and the places we went. The weather kinda sucked this winter, everywhere, so that didn't help.
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yes, it does. You were half of a couple for a long time. Now you are not so the social dynamics change significantly. I'm not a councilor but I have talked to a few in the past. Find somebody or some group that specializes in people like you and you can learn a lot about why you feel like you do and how to deal with it.

FWIW I'd be looking for singles oriented groups more than couples groups that do what I want. I would not turn down events at either but I would be looking at meeting folks doing things I enjoy as opposed to just meeting folks. Groups with a lot of couples and only a couple of singles tend to leave you feeling like the odd man out. You will figure out what one's feel good with an event or 2.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #24

Yeah I don't like to be alone. My divorce was final in February and I have been alone in the RV since. I do have some awesome kids age 16 and 18 that come to visit me every weekend. But most the time is alone and I miss having a best friend and companion to love on and share my life. I joined eHarmony, we'll see how that goes.
jmk909er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #25

Back when I was looking after a divorce there were various activity and support groups around that let one mingle as part of a crowd. Different social dynamics than dating services. If you can find anything like that in your area you may find it a more comfortable situation to just find friends you can hang out with in a less awkward situation than in a mostly couples group.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny, talk about different social dynamics! I received a jury duty summons today and then after perusing this thread, I was reminded that in my younger days on jury duty I got pretty lucky finding some nice single women jurors.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:50 AM   #27

I've been single for a while now. I'm in research mode for full or PT RV-ing right now. But I have done a lot of solo travel and solo car camping trips.

My problem is finding a women my age (40's) that has the ability to live a traveling/RV-ing lifestyle. Most have kids or full time jobs with 2 weeks of vacation a year, or they are not interested in a vagabonding type lifestyle, or they lack the finances to retire early and live paycheck to paycheck.

Also, most of the time I really enjoy being single. It is the ultimate freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want. You don't have to "check in" or ask anyone to do anything or go anywhere. There is less drama in your life (I don't like drama!). It's easy to get ingrained in the bachelor lifestyle. IMO it gets harder and harder to find a suitable partner the older you get and more stuck in your ways you get. IMO it gets really hard to find someone you click with and have similar interests the older you get. Since the older you get, the more you know yourself, what you like and don't like and where you want to go with your life, and few partners may share these similar interests or life directions.

Another nice thing about being single is it can be easier to live on the road in a much smaller more budget type RV set up. Where as two people need a larger space to live together.

But no question especially during holidays, etc... it can get lonely being single. I have been reading a lot of blogs lately by full time solo RV-ers of all ages both women and men (there are a lot out there!). Some enjoy the solitude and don't socialize a lot. But others join RV singles groups, clubs like Escapees & Xscapees (for working age FT Rv-ers), rallies, etc... Also, if you stay in one area for even a few weeks, you can go to We are what we do | Meetup in whatever area you are in and join hikes, social activities, etc... Also, you can volunteer wherever you happen to be and get social connection that way, even if you are only in one location for a few weeks. And as you meet other RV-ers on the road you can have social connection that way.
JamBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #28

I am enjoying doing this solo. I enjoy doing what i want - when i want - and how i want. Sure like everyone else i tried marriage and dating but my ex was a miserable lunatic and still is per what my boys tell me. And it seems that all i found in dating were people that just wanted to get what they could out of it, then use, abuse, and dissapear in the night.

So after my last dating debacle i decided to just give up and hang my hat up on dating forever. Im easy to get along with, sometimes way too easy and just when i think i knew what partners are looking for they change the rules. So i decided no more rules, im just going to be single the rest of my life and enjoy it, and my rules are the only ones that apply.

Ever since i changed my attitude about it i have never been happier. I keep myself busy working on my home (my RV is my home) with little projects. To me its total freedom.

Sure sometime it might be nice to have someone around the hold the ladder when im on the roof of the RV or help clean up or help wash the truck. But i really dont miss having a partner. What is there to miss when every partner i have ever had that was suppose to be serious acted like a infected thorn in my side.

I have had about 38 partners in my life, the majority were just quick flings and everyone has had and enjoys those. Only about 6 of those were suppose to be serious and they finally took a toll on me because they drove me crazy with their petty drama and petty anger issues. Im so done with all that dating garbage.

Luckily the medication i take helps to take those romantic feelings away and im glad they do because i dont want them, i dont need them, i never want another full time or any other kind of partner the rest of my life. I love doing this alone....

As a matter of fact i got a sticker made just for those that think just because i have a nice truck they can hit on me. lol

The only thing i might do some day is adopt someone as i love being a parent and miss it.

Single, and loving it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1490747920850.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	165138  
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo