Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #1

Do you get lonely soloing it men?

I am contemplating becoming a full time RVer. Many things are changing and it looks like a possibility that my marriage may end so I am looking at options and this full time RVing looks very appealing to me. I think my biggest concern is being lonely.

I don't want to be isolated and lonely, I would like to hear from some men especially what their experience is on this topic. Is this a fulfilling way to live and what about boredom or is there a way to keep engaged with others.

I am 58 and can totally retire from the government in 4 years but depending on my wife I may need to sell out everything sooner and I could buy an RV and stay here in San Diego until I retire.
jmk909er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry about your personal situation. But, everything tends to work out in the end.

I've been divorced for over 20 years. I travel with either my grown daughter or a girlfriend. If neither are available to come along, I'll go solo with my cat. I've enjoyed solo trips. Being an only child, we tend to learn at an early age how to entertain ourselves.

"Alone time" can be very beneficial. I've traveled to Japan solo 7 times, but I have the advantage of having friends there.

If you are a gregarious person, you should have no problem with meeting people while on the road.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #3

Being solo is not lonely, being with someone who doesn't want to be there is lonely. When I was married, I felt alone, but to travel alone and see whatever is out there is all up to you!! If you are enjoying, you will find other people who enjoy the same thing. Take lonely, isolated, boredom out of the mix, and the whole world opens up... Don't let that stuff dictate how you will see the rest of the world. Just go for it and enjoy!!! Start a new chapter and carry on, that is all we can do, so do it with fun!!!!
Old 06-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola69746702 View Post
Being solo is not lonely, being with someone who doesn't want to be there is lonely. When I was married, I felt alone, but to travel alone and see whatever is out there is all up to you!! If you are enjoying, you will find other people who enjoy the same thing. Take lonely, isolated, boredom out of the mix, and the whole world opens up... Don't let that stuff dictate how you will see the rest of the world. Just go for it and enjoy!!! Start a new chapter and carry on, that is all we can do, so do it with fun!!!!
Thank you so much for that! I am ready to have a whole new chapter in my life
jmk909er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

I've been solo fulltime for 2.5 years, and to answer your question yes, of course it gets lonely sometimes. That's part of the compromise solos make in the name of adventure. For me, it helps that I have a very cute and friendly dog. She draws people to me wherever I go. For example, I've been in Key West for the last month, and I meet probably a dozen new people every time I walk her around town. It also depends a lot on where you go and how long you stay. For example, if you're boondocking in the middle of nowhere you will probably have very little contact with people. That can certainly get lonely. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you spend several months in an RV park in a friendly part of the country you are likely to make lasting friendships. A lot depends on your personality as well. Some people are natural loners. Above all, don't let the fear of lonliness hold you back from something you want to do. If you don't like it, you can always sell the RV and go back to a normal life. Good luck!
HR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Joe - sorry to hear about your situation.

I'm six years divorced, very much a "isolationist" (introvert) personality type, and am a full-timer. I LOVE the lifestyle!

I have a cat that keeps me company/amused and I have a number of friends and family that I stay in contact with via text, email, and phone. I'm still working while traveling/full-timing but my hobbies would keep me busy even without work - hiking, cycling, mountain biking, sewing, exploring, kayaking, photography, etc. I stay away from people as much as possible. However; that is most certainly not the only way to live this life. Many folks travel in herds or spend all their time in campgrounds that have lots of activities or even travel from one group of friends to the next. Their is no right/wrong way to do this - whatever works for you!

Having gone thru the adventure that is divorce, my only suggestion is to move slowly. Some say no major life changes for one year - that's probably not bad advice.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's me and the dog. I'm never alone, I'm always with my best friend.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #8

I been full time 2 months now it's just me and the dog I can't say I get Lonely but if I sit in one spot to long I will get hitch itch real bad.
Mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
It's me and the dog. I'm never alone, I'm always with my best friend.
x 10 brother
TheJuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #10

I kinda enjoy the peace and quiet.
DSheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #11

Yep, I divorced in '99
Bought an RV in 08 but traveled solo on a motorcycle since '99.
Just bought me a new RV and will retire next year.
I enjoy the single life. I get up and do what I want when I want.
Traveling you will meet all sorts of folks and mostly they are more receptive to a single guy.
I think most RVers understand life does not have to be about putting the square peg in the square hole.
Great advice about not making any major life decisions for a year after a major life change.
Relax and enjoy life.We're only here for a short time.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #12

FWIW - been the divorce route, not full timing. Not sure full timing will make that much difference. Your social situation will change dramatically either way. The best route may well be to let things play out while looking a bit at something you can move into while you wrap up your career assuming the marriage does end and all the associated drama gets done. A camper size unit in a local park would be as good as an apartment and let you get a sense of the life style.

The other most useful thing may be to find some singles related travel groups. I assume you are social because you asked. Getting on some group lists in todays electronic world would let you start making some connections and seeing more about what is out there.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am solo 98% of the time. I try to make friends with someone on each camping trip. Some days are a bit lonely, but I can exercise, read ,clean etc. Eventually, I meet someone and share an evening campfire. I even found a few places with either seasonal people or people who return to the same campground at the same time each year. I have made some nice friends this way.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:03 PM   #14

Alone is hard for some, not for others, Its Hard for me, Hope you have good time RVing,
Cinderellato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo