Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #1

Door Locks

Has anyone felt the need to upgrade the locks on any of their doors (especially the entry door), or are they substantial enough to deter theft? E.g. Do you worry about someone getting in your coach while you go into Walmart to shop?
Wisdmhilites is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My motorhome was broken into while in storage.

I have a wonderful lock.

The thief had a wonderful hammer which he used on the glass.

I don't care what lock you use, they will get in if they want to.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Locks only deter honest people. A determined thief will get in despite any lock. Generally speaking they'll cost you more in damages trying to defeat the locks than they will in stolen goods. It's usually wiser to leave it unlocked. I lock mine mainly because I don’t want anyone letting the dog out - she's a runner.

In 7+ years of fulltime RVing I've never had anything stolen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdmhilites View Post
Has anyone felt the need to upgrade the locks on any of their doors (especially the entry door), or are they substantial enough to deter theft? E.g. Do you worry about someone getting in your coach while you go into Walmart to shop?
Not substantial to deter theft.
Nope.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #5

I once watch a locksmirh break in to my old coach as the lock was bust. It took him 5 minutes with a flat head screwdriver to Jimmythe door. He said if he was in hurry he could do it quicker. Door was never right after.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #6

The very first upgrade I did on my class C was to replace every outside storage compartment lock. Since every camper rolls off the line with the exact same key.
Tacouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #7

Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacouser View Post
The very first upgrade I did on my class C was to replace every outside storage compartment lock. Since every camper rolls off the line with the exact same key.
Wow I didn't know that. Are you serious??
Enjoy Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacouser View Post
Did you do it yourself?
Old 06-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoy Life View Post
Wow I didn't know that. Are you serious??
This is incorrect.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
This is incorrect.
Actually, there is some truth to this statement. Back in the day that I was pulling a travel trailer (1976 model), someone told me the same thing. I walked around the campground I was staying at and ask anyone I found outside if there outside compartments used the same key as mine (I forget the number on the key, but I think it was something like "726" or similar. Nearly every RV I came across that was from the 70s or 80s did have that same key. I even used my key to verify that it would open a few the others. Not a single one failed. I doubt that is still true since the types of compartment door keys on today's RVs don't even seem to be the same type of key blank, but it was true back then. Needless to say, I bought new locks for my two compartments. Most of the people I asked were aware of this before I even mentioned it. The trailer I had was a Fleetwood Prowler, but several of the ones I checked were other brands. Really surprised me.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:42 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used my key to open friend's storage bays and my brother's 2018 toy hauler. When I bought locking hatch doors for my water inlets in 2016 both of them came with the same key as all my other doors. My RV is a 2011. So it is true of many of today's RVs as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #12

Wisdmhilites, like ArchHoagland, our outside compartments were broken into over Christmas weekend last year while in storage. They just used a pry bar (screwdriver?) and popped the doors open. If we would have had better locks (regardless of key type) they still would have pried them open, but there would have been more damage to the door and door frame. We added a (monitored by cellular) SimplySafe system with sensors on all outside doors and motion detector inside and pay $24 a month (after initial purchase) for peace of mind. When we travel, we use their app to set the sensors for notify only. We could also enter a new location if we are going to be in one place for long.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Wisdmhilites, like ArchHoagland, our outside compartments were broken into over Christmas weekend last year while in storage. They just used a pry bar (screwdriver?) and popped the doors open. If we would have had better locks (regardless of key type) they still would have pried them open, but there would have been more damage to the door and door frame. We added a (monitored by cellular) SimplySafe system with sensors on all outside doors and motion detector inside and pay $24 a month (after initial purchase) for peace of mind. When we travel, we use their app to set the sensors for notify only. We could also enter a new location if we are going to be in one place for long.
Makes a lot of sense! With all you hear about Ring with sticks and bricks, it would make sense to have something like that for a MH. Thanks for the suggestion!!!
Wisdmhilites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When mine was broken into at the storage yard they also broke into a brand new Fleetwood parked next to me that the owner had paid $2,000 for an alarm system to notify him and the police.

Guess what, he didn't know he had been broken into until the police that I called looked at his RV and notified him. I talked to him later and that's when he told me about the alarm system he had paid a bundle for. He lost a lot of stuff...drop down CD, stereo system and speakers, etc.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door