Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:45 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
I have yet to see any reports of RVers using lethal force when camping. I know some people go far afield to get away from people, but would't a shotgun be more effective? I mean how many of you have constant and formal training in discharging a firearm under high stress situations? I go to the range and shoot at paper zombies, and am pretty lethal in a controlled atmosphere. I am not so sure how I would fair in a high stress situation.
That's always been my thought process and why I have a 12 Gauge handy vs my handgun when at the house.. I KNOW I will have a lot harder time 'missing' my target with that 12 gauge

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 10:16 PM   #30

Cute...I will keep what I got... scared of being in the same campground? thats cool, more room for me.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNPonyshow View Post
I travel solo a ton in the RV to go to dog shows around the US. On rare occasion DH tags along.

I've never had a problem and crossed the US too any times to count. I do always have a dog loose in my rig and I pay attention to the general area I pick to overnight at. I keep all my doors locked when inside and my curtains all closed so people can't easily tell I'm alone.

I have A ccp but because I go out of state a ton I don't bother carrying often. I never park where I don't have a strong cell signal and where I get an odd vibe. I've been doing this since I was 20 so for almost 30 yrs solo travel with no issues.
You offered about the best advice in this entire thread!
I know a man who carried a pistol in their RV (full-timers) He left it in the MH while they went shopping, when they returned to the MH, a man was just exiting the door with the owners pistol.
They wrestled a bit before the owner finally got his pistol away from the burglar, but things could have gone from robbed to dead quickly.
(He was parked[broke-down] in a bad section of the city in a MH repair shops parking lot)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:07 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have traveled all over this country 1000's of times in my trucking career, and spent the night in some very sketchy area's, and never packed, and never needed to! My advice is to have a couple of cans of wasp/hornet spray with you, and a good tire bat! The spray will blind them, and the bat will knock'em out till the police arrive! But that is just me!
P.S., the spray will shoot out about 20' so you don't have to get close to to what ever you spray! Works on bears too!
Also, i grew up in rural Illinois, and know how to shoot and hunt! I also have many guns for that purpose! I also have a current "Firearm Owners Identification Card" and never saw the need to have the CC permit. But this is a different world now, so i don't discourage anyone that wants or needs to carry!
JMHO Rail!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #33

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Large or small Dog(s) are probably the best protection you can get. They are always ready! They don't wake up groggy, fumbling for their weapon. They can be left behind when you are gone and most likely to have someone interested in what's inside your RV visit.

Dogs are also good for your health. They give you a reason to excercise and are very effective at motivating you. They are good companions, always happy to see you. They never greet you with a scowl demanding to know where you've been or why your late.

If you feel you must carry a fire arm after all of the great alternatives listed here a pump shot gun is my pick. Most bad people understand the language spoken by a pump shotgun's action being cycled, "racking a round into the chamber".
Old 03-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #34

National concealed carry can't come fast enough.
markandkim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #35

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Two items you can't go wrong with. A dog, even small to medium size, are great deterrents and should be your first choice. If you still feel the need for a gun then a shotgun with a legal length barrel would work. You can carry the shotgun through all 50 states legally. If going through Canada though you should have a barrel length of at least 20 inches to avoid any hassle.
Yes but make sure that you declare it at the border and there should be no problem. But you MUST DECLARE.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
My advice is to have a couple of cans of wasp/hornet spray with you, and a good tire bat! The spray will blind them, and the bat will knock'em out till the police arrive! But that is just me!
P.S., the spray will shoot out about 20' so you don't have to get close to to what ever you spray! Works on bears too!
Also, i grew up in rural Illinois, and know how to shoot and hunt! I also have many guns for that purpose! I also have a current "Firearm Owners Identification Card" and never saw the need to have the CC permit. But this is a different world now, so i don't discourage anyone that wants or needs to carry!
JMHO Rail!
I used to believe this as well! Then I was spraying a wasp nest with the Ortho, super duty whatever wasp/hornet spray in the corner of the eave of my house, the corner sent the spray right back into my face! Good shot of spray in my mouth, nose, and eyes! No discomfort, no burning, only an oily feeling and bad taste in my mouth. I washed my face/eyes thoroughly though, and now am NOT a believer in wasp/hornet spray for protection!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good to know! I guess the tire bat would have to do, glad i never had to use it either! Rail!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:57 AM   #38

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I used to believe this as well! Then I was spraying a wasp nest with the Ortho, super duty whatever wasp/hornet spray in the corner of the eave of my house, the corner sent the spray right back into my face! Good shot of spray in my mouth, nose, and eyes! No discomfort, no burning, only an oily feeling and bad taste in my mouth. I washed my face/eyes thoroughly though, and now am NOT a believer in wasp/hornet spray for protection!
It's not so much the spray itself it's the surprise factor, "WHAT THE ..." A fire extinguisher will work also as would a stream of water.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting comments on this thread. I've been a CCW permit holder for a long long time. When I took my class the instructor was very clear. Your weapon should not be used to scare someone away. If you pull your weapon you do it in self defense and every intention of using it. I adhere to this training. I've fortunately never had to the need to pull mine. Hope I never have to (well, ok, I do at the range all the time )
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Entry would not be my concern.

Just being in same CG would be dangerous

I shot competitively SASS---Cowboy Action Shooting
I have CCWs
I carry and have weapons on board
I traveled FT for years.

YET...
The BEST protection is that 'tingly feeling', that 'something isn't right', that gnarling feeling in the pit of your stomach'

Better known as 'situational awareness'
Pay attention and move on

In all the years I have had weapons, used them, had to draw them was at targets----cans, paper, steel plate etc.

Besides IF you have a weapon you HAVE to use it routinely in order to be able to actually use it .....that means lots of rounds thru it
Otherwise good chances you will just get it taken away, used on yourself or pull it and injury some innocent with it.

Unless you have tried to shoot while under duress........leave it to those trained

PLUS........traveling can be 'difficult' as several states have very restrictive gun laws. Course doesn't affect criminals, just law biding citizens

Know the various state laws so you do NOT end up a 'guest'
There's the app "legal heat" it's up to date and all states listed. It's a good start to finding out state firearm laws.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #41

The only thing that worries me about traveling in the USA is the 75,000 injuries and 35,000 deaths by firearms every year.

And of course this includes the 50 children and teenagers shot every day.

Crossing the border into Mexico or Canada is a "whew, we made it" moment.
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
The only thing that worries me about traveling in the USA is the 75,000 injuries and 35,000 deaths by firearms every year.

And of course this includes the 50 children and teenagers shot every day.

Crossing the border into Mexico or Canada is a "whew, we made it" moment.
I think you should be more worried about the number of people killed by cars and trucks every year

wwron is offline   Reply With Quote