Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #29

Two things...

First... When my wife met me she thought I was Independently Wealthy...now, at age 63 and 8 years of marriage later she finds out that "I'm neither"!!!

Now, number two... The best piece of advice I can give you is to Join the Escapees RV Club! A fantastic group of folks...both married and singles of various ages. We joined Chapter 6 in addition to the National Organization and have met single ladies also that are traveling alone...are nurses...and drive both fifth wheels AND/OR Motorhomes. There's ALWAYS someone around to help hitch up etc...NO BIGGY!!!

Go for it...don't let the naysayers discourage you...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Two things...

First... When my wife met me she thought I was Independently Wealthy...now, at age 63 and 8 years of marriage later she finds out that "I'm neither"!!!

Now, number two... The best piece of advice I can give you is to Join the Escapees RV Club! A fantastic group of folks...both married and singles of various ages. We joined Chapter 6 in addition to the National Organization and have met single ladies also that are traveling alone...are nurses...and drive both fifth wheels AND/OR Motorhomes. There's ALWAYS someone around to help hitch up etc...NO BIGGY!!!

Go for it...don't let the naysayers discourage you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
I am surprised nobody has yet tried to snooker you into joining escapees or suggested you not drive in the ditch. LOL!

Good Luck,
mangy dog
mangy dog is not gonna like this .......lol
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
Solos don't post here very much because... well if you try to ask or answer a question you wind up buried with prattle from marrieds checking to see if the grass is really greener. But heck, you found that out with your first post.

Also some who claim to be solo are not.

If you keep looking you'll find the answers. Some of the older posts are still helpful so check those. There are better forums too.

I am surprised nobody has yet tried to snooker you into joining escapees or suggested you not drive in the ditch. LOL!

Good Luck,
mangy dog
Could be wrong but it sounds like Mangy dog has had a bad experience...hope not, but sounds like it.

Seriously though...My wife and I have found Escapees to be an Awesome Group of folks with similar interests. In addition to that the members have an amazing amount of RV'ing experience virtually covering most if not all possible topics/questions/or concerns.

I'm a firm believer that "None of us is as smart as ALL OF US"!!!!!

Join some group who you can associate with...doesn't have to be Escapees...but find a group you can relate to. Maybe join Mangy Dog's RV Club...

Old 12-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Jeremy, for those of us not born into money, I see two basic options. 1) Be very frugal as a young person and have money later in life. To me this meant living below my means and paying cash for all purchases. 2) Spend ones full salary as a young person and just hope the future works out. My observation is this means people take out loans, waste money on interest and live with the stress of debt.

You said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadnurse View Post
I guess really what I'm wondering is how did those of you who aren't wealthy, retired, or work from "home" get started, how much money did you have in savings, and how did you ultimately afford your travel "rig"?
I went with option #1. I lived below my means. Bought a house in my 20's and worked to pay it off. I've always been a saver. I bought a MH I could pay cash for. 22K. I wasn't prepared for the 8K I spent on lots of extras. But I had the money because I'm a saver. Since you have the ability to continuing making a professional salary, you can definitely save if you live frugally.

Quote:
I've read some on workamping, some of the jobs seem pretty cool (i.e. working in Nat'l Parks), while others sound less than desirable (Amazon...hard labor, long hours).
If you have the ability to make a professional salary, why would you want to work for minimum wage?

Quote:
My job as an RN does allow for "travel nursing" which I suppose would support my lifestyle, but I'd need to do more research into this line of work within my profession.
To me this sounds like your next step. One thing that saved me money was the fact that my car could be used as a tow. In the mean time, if it were me, I'd save every dime and plan to pay cash for everything.

I've been living solo in my MH for 4 years as I've worked in my profession in a rural area where my salary is higher than it would have been it I'd stayed in my house. I'm going to retire in my 50's because I made this decision and many others leading up to it. Originally when I set out, I thought I'd do a lot of little weekend trips to enjoy some of the country I was near, but ended up not doing so because my work is very demanding.
WriteOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #33

FWIW You can start with a decision of what you want for a daily driver. If you want a car you are looking at a Motor Home for an RV. If you want to be driving around in a medium to heavy duty P/U then you can go the trailer route.

Once you decide that you can start looking at RV's and post what you decided and get better answers. Money wise you either spend a chunk on the truck and get a lower cost trailer or spend it on the motor home and get a lower cost car. You pick. I'd look at used for the RV in either case because you can sell it in a year for close to what you paid for it if you change your mind.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Hey all, lurker here, finally made an account. I've recently become interested in learning more about RV'ing full-time. I've been reading blogs, watching YouTube videos, and researching prices and types of RV's (I am an RV noob, no prior experience whatsoever). I'm 40, male, single (and love it), Navy vet, and a registered nurse for the past 14 years.

From what I've learned so far, you either have to be independently wealthy, retired with decent income, or able to work from "home" to RV full-time, none of which I am LOL. My job as an RN does allow for "travel nursing" which I suppose would support my lifestyle, but I'd need to do more research into this line of work within my profession.

I've read some on workamping, some of the jobs seem pretty cool (i.e. working in Nat'l Parks), while others sound less than desirable (Amazon...hard labor, long hours).

I guess really what I'm wondering is how did those of you who aren't wealthy, retired, or work from "home" get started, how much money did you have in savings, and how did you ultimately afford your travel "rig"? Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions here but this for now is my main interest and can't quite wrap my head around how to go about getting started in this lifestyle without a SUBSTANTIAL investment (and one that would seem to depreciate, as RV's certainly don't seem to appreciate in value as other real estate would). If after 20 years or so when its time to buy a new rig will I be able to afford it? Especially solo? Ugh its a bit frightening to think about.

Insight? Thanks in advance

Jeremy
We are in the Yuma area. Currently in our RV park there are 3 travelling nurses and one PT that I am aware of. They say they are able to contract the days they want and seem to like it.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Hey thanks I'll look into that. I lived for 2 years on a ship in the Navy, theres nothing a good pair of earplugs can't handle haha.

I'd really like a solo RV'ers take on this. And please more info than "depends on how frugal you are" LOL duh.
Just to give you some numbers you can buy a decent used ~30 ft C for less than $50,000. Looking at traveling nurse salary advertising you can save that in 1-2 years depending on taxes and how high you think you need to live. If you have the average front drive car you can dolly tow it with a used dolly for around $1000-$1500. That will give you a reasonable sized house with separate living and sleeping space and an attic to store stuff in the front bunk. That should be good for at least 5-10 years, maybe more, with a thousand or two in the maintenance kitty each year. Mostly tires, batteries, and oil changes but you could get a surprise on the house A/C, refrigerator, or furnace. Being a few thousand ahead after a couple of years would help average it out.

That would still leave you more to live on than a lot of folks have. You would not be worrying about your next meal but might eat in for breakfast and lunch or dinner depending on your shift. You can live relatively inexpensively in scrubs most of the time. Take a couple of weeks between assignments and do some sight seeing on the way. Follow the weather to avoid much cold or snow. Zig zag across the country by wintering in Florida, south Texas and southern AZ a year at a time. Gives you a good perspective of retirement places. Don't fall into the expensive car or vacation trap. That is frugal by nursing pay standards but not so much by most people's.

Keep putting a significant chunk of cash into your pretax retirement and your taxed investments. The latter will let you trade in/up or do something else if you find a place you decide you want to stay in several years. You do want that exit plan cash because things happen. $100,000 in ready cash is manageable in 5 years or less. That goes a long way toward getting off the road or upgrading if you decide to.

By the time you hit SS retirement age steps you can look at your physical condition and re evaluate based on what you have saved and what they will give you at the various steps. Only you can decide how long and how much you want to keep working. At least with your skill set you have a lot of options.

Just a stake in the ground to start planning from. Poke at it and see what you think.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Just to give you some numbers you can buy a decent used ~30 ft C for less than $50,000. Looking at traveling nurse salary advertising you can save that in 1-2 years depending on taxes and how high you think you need to live. If you have the average front drive car you can dolly tow it with a used dolly for around $1000-$1500. That will give you a reasonable sized house with separate living and sleeping space and an attic to store stuff in the front bunk. That should be good for at least 5-10 years, maybe more, with a thousand or two in the maintenance kitty each year. Mostly tires, batteries, and oil changes but you could get a surprise on the house A/C, refrigerator, or furnace. Being a few thousand ahead after a couple of years would help average it out.

That would still leave you more to live on than a lot of folks have. You would not be worrying about your next meal but might eat in for breakfast and lunch or dinner depending on your shift. You can live relatively inexpensively in scrubs most of the time. Take a couple of weeks between assignments and do some sight seeing on the way. Follow the weather to avoid much cold or snow. Zig zag across the country by wintering in Florida, south Texas and southern AZ a year at a time. Gives you a good perspective of retirement places. Don't fall into the expensive car or vacation trap. That is frugal by nursing pay standards but not so much by most people's.

Keep putting a significant chunk of cash into your pretax retirement and your taxed investments. The latter will let you trade in/up or do something else if you find a place you decide you want to stay in several years. You do want that exit plan cash because things happen. $100,000 in ready cash is manageable in 5 years or less. That goes a long way toward getting off the road or upgrading if you decide to.

By the time you hit SS retirement age steps you can look at your physical condition and re evaluate based on what you have saved and what they will give you at the various steps. Only you can decide how long and how much you want to keep working. At least with your skill set you have a lot of options.

Just a stake in the ground to start planning from. Poke at it and see what you think.
Certainly MAKE SENSE TO ME!!! Good Job "No Other"

Old 12-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Could be wrong but it sounds like Mangy dog has had a bad experience...hope not, but sounds like it.

Seriously though...My wife and I have found Escapees to be an Awesome Group of folks with similar interests. In addition to that the members have an amazing amount of RV'ing experience virtually covering most if not all possible topics/questions/or concerns.

I'm a firm believer that "None of us is as smart as ALL OF US"!!!!!

Join some group who you can associate with...doesn't have to be Escapees...but find a group you can relate to. Maybe join Mangy Dog's RV Club...
Sounds like a great group I'm sure but I am NOT the social type whatsoever. Hence why I'm seeking advice in a solo RV'er forum lol. People tend to get on my nerves however I can see your point that they have a lot of knowledge.
Nomadnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #38

Quote:

great well-though out advice man I really appreciate it. I"m still leaning towards a Class B home, due to its size, but the C sounds pretty interesting, I didnt realize they were that inexpensive
Nomadnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Sounds like a great group I'm sure but I am NOT the social type whatsoever. Hence why I'm seeking advice in a solo RV'er forum lol. People tend to get on my nerves however I can see your point that they have a lot of knowledge.
That's perfectly fine. It will only be a matter of time however that you "will need" the help of a neighbor to solve a problem that you're confronted with. Also, and as for me, I have a very difficult time watching someone in the park having a problem in which "I know" that I could assist with...if I can assist and make their problem disappear, I'm happy to assist.

I do understand the "loner" thing however I've discovered that most of our fellow RV'ers are just like you AND me!

All the Best AND Go For It!!!!

Old 12-16-2017, 04:02 AM   #40

In general class B's lack storage. You are talking living full time. A it longer C will give you a real bedroom in back and a front bunk you can use for an attic for extra seasonal clothing, bedding, and a lot of lighter stuff. Just keep the heavy stuff centered or low down. You will have some heavy stuff as in files you need to maintain because you are hauling everything.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #41

Quote:
In general class B's lack storage. You are talking living full time. A it longer C will give you a real bedroom in back and a front bunk you can use for an attic for extra seasonal clothing, bedding, and a lot of lighter stuff. Just keep the heavy stuff centered or low down. You will have some heavy stuff as in files you need to maintain because you are hauling everything.
Totally agree....I'd go with a nice "C"!

Old 12-16-2017, 06:45 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thousand Trails

Look into getting a Thousand Trails camping pass. You can buy a contract that allows you to stay for up to 3 weeks at a park and then go to another park in their system and stay 3 weeks without missing a day, you can move from one park to another all year long. The rule is, you have to be out for a week before going back to the same park for another 3 weeks. You pay a yearly fee of only $500-$600 and you have to buy the contract (around $1500) but you can always sell it later to someone else. There will be a transfer fee of $750 usually paid by the buyer. You can't buy these contracts from 1000 trails, you must buy them from a private campground pass dealer. They have campgrounds nation wide but not in every state, most are on the coast.

https://www.thousandtrails.com/
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving, solo