Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #1

Meals - what do you find yourself eating going solo

I am a diabetic so i have to eat often. I usually have something like a marie calendars pot pie which are good if you get the big ones. Otherwise its alot of PB and J, bologna, hamburgers, hotdogs, yogurt, applysauce, and i like my chips and cookies too, and of course top ramen, canned soups and the majoraty of the time i just eat cereal, i love my cereal sometimes i have it 3x a day.

I drink coke zero because its guilt free. Other than that its just water as i no longer drink beer or coffee.

So do you cook or do you just go for the quick meals like me?
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2017, 02:18 AM   #2

I would add better quality medium size frozen pizza to the list, they just fit in the RV freezer and cook ok the Sharp convection microwave. Examples include the California Kitchens BBQ Chicken Pizza or the Digiorno's Thin crust
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I typically eat a ketogenic diet, which requires food prep. I dislike cooking in the summer and don't care for hot foods when the temps are up.

I eat eggs, egg salad, tuna added to a green leaf salad, salami and cheese. Usually I also eat chicken, roast, and bacon, but I haven't been wanting to heat things up for those.

I'm planning to get a Biolite stove soon so I can cook outside.

I bought a small pressure cooker which makes it pretty easy for me to make hard-boiled eggs, chicken, etc, and there's only one pot to clean up.
senvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:20 AM   #4

Also a diabetic here. After an A1C of 8.3 and on metformin and glipizide decided to go low carb, got off both medications, last A1C was 4.7.

As for your question, I normally cook a couple of chicken breasts (with the skin on) couple that with raw cauliflower and broccoli, grape tomatoes for a fast and easy meal. Grill steaks or any meat coupled with sliced tomato and onion. Lots of eggs and bacon. I don't miss the carbs and feel lots better.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #5

I originally had a A1C of 12 and a sugar level of 1400, thats how i found out i was diabetic, they even called me at home and said dont eat any bread its really important. In 3 months i cut the A1C in half to 6.2 and the Dr was amazed, he said how did you do that. Well i cut out the chimichangas, corndogs, candy, switched to coke zero, and limited my bread intake.

Currently i am just one point away from being back to pre-diabetic. But still take my metformin 24hour release as once your diabetic your forever diabetic.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #6

Wow folks. You guys are doing AWESOME!
I am diabetic and could not even think of a diet of what the OP has posted. Got mine down to 6.3
Gotta get off the prepacked stuff IMO and do a little food prep. Stay away from those "bad" carbs. Changed my diet to all whole grains and almost no white flour.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

The little frozen microwaveable in the package food is pretty good, and quick also. I'm into quick and easy. Generally cereal with fruit and sometimes nuts in the morning with a pint cup of water first followed by a cup of hot tea. Lunch is usually somewhere other than the camper. It is usually a medley of things such as crackers and cheese, a fruit cup, pudding cup, apple, raisins, snack bars, etc., and bottled water.

Lunch is usually carried in a fanny pack so it is available when some beautiful spot says it's time to stop and spend some time here, I generally also eat.

Dinner is back at the camper and may be something I previously cooked for a meal and warm up out of the fridge such as mac & cheese, or one of the little microwaveable packets, soup, occasionally a Ramen, etc. I will also sometimes buy enough pizza to last a week or so and keep it in the fridge as a quick alternate dinner.

There are many options, these are just a few, but for me most will be fast and easy. Also paper and plastic to conserve the water that would be used to wash dishes, which also takes time.

So far I've dodged the diabetes bullet, but I understand the limitations there.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #8

My Doc said that almost everyone is pre-diabetic due to our fast food culture. The main difference is that those that are heavier cannot produce enough insulin for their body mass. Now those that are thin are still pre-diabetic but they just happen to be able to produce enough insulin to maintain their body.

So what happens is that those that are thinner, if something happens in their life that causes a change either in their diet or their body mass, bam they crossed over from pre to full diabetic.

Before i was diabetic i always thought it was a fat persons issue. But its not, it just so happens that its associated with that because we crossed that line when our pancreas decided to slow down.

Everyones pancreas slows down over time when you get older, if your lucky it happens when your thin so you can manage that amount it puts out, if not then well join the rest of us at the veggy buffet lol..
Old 06-22-2017, 05:14 AM   #9

Great job Dave on lowering your A1C.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
Great job Dave on lowering your A1C.
Thanks so much, it has not been easy but today i went to the Dr for a visit before i left for my long trip and my A1C is down to 5.8 whooo hooooo. He gave me a big attaboy lol...

I ask him if i could get off the metformin but he said not so fast buddy lol.... he reduced it by 1 pill a day to see how that goes first.

So now im pre diabetic levels.. so i came home and had a big fat tripple layer turkey and mayo sandwhich lol..

Plus i lost 10 lbs...

Tags
solo