Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Need help/input on choice of rig

I'm solo (with a dog) wanting to full-time in August. I initially thought a Class C or a 5th wheel (that I would pay a company to move whenever I have to PCS since I don't want to buy a big truck) would suit me, but I'd also like to go camping sometimes so then the 5th wheel wouldn't work for me. A Class C since it seems easier to drive than a Class A, but after going to the Houston RV show I learned that most C's don't have a W/D setup which I hear is a must for fulltiming. I also like how the A's and 5ers have a closet, separate W/D area, desk area and big closets. I'm a medical professional and don't like keeping all my books at the office and don't want my office to be my dinette. For those that have fulltimed, what's your input? I'm looking at something at least 35 feet long, but less than 40. I have a tent, but hate getting up in the middle of the night to find the bathroom when I camp. I know it's a personal choice, but I've been dreaming of this for over a year and am still not sure which way to go and I'm running out of time. As a side note, I took pictures of my stuff yesterday so I could start selling it. If I plan to buy my rig in July to FT in August, when should I start selling my stuff? I'm renting and my parents live in town, but don't want to be bare bones too early. I'm going to post my questions in other forums to maximize the feedback. Also, for the FTers, what's the number of items in your wardrobe? If you could break it down into type, such as t-shirts/long sleeve/sweaters, jeans, shorts, pantsuits etc I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

A washer/dryer is not a requirement for full-timing or just weekenders. Some folks would not have a W/D in their RV, some would not be without one. It's a personal choice. I assume you will be parking in a private RV park for months at a time. Usually they have a W/D room with multiple machines. Military famcamps have them too.
We have found their machines are normally cleaner than commercial laundromats.
You will keep your books in the 5er correct? I would think there is a convenient storage cabinet in the 5er. Ours has book sized cabinets above the couch.
A class C would be large enough for you to go camping for extended periods, but cramped for full-time living, plus the lack of storage in a CL C is a hindrance for full-timing
That is just my opinion, you may find it doesn't work for you..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd strongly recommend renting a Class C or A for a week.

You will learn an awful lot about what you like and dislike very fast.

A washer and dryer is not necessary.

After you live in one for a while it will become obvious what you really need and, more important, DON"T need. Until then jam all the junk you can into it.

I'd advise to buy used for your first unit.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have had 5rs class b and c and now A . 5rs are fine for longer periods in one place but for a single on the road I strongly feel a motor home a safer option. If you need to leave in a hurray say a mega storm is inbound the MH is far faster to get moving than a 5r. Class A's are not any harder to drive than a C most often they will turn in a much smaller area because of their wheel placement. An A will ride generally ride better and you definitely have more space fore storage. Our coach is 37 feet long and we have 12 feet of upper cabinets empty that could be used for books , we have a w/d and like the convenience of doing our laundry on our own schedule.
IMHO I would consider a gas 34 to 38 ft Class A you would have ample room and you could easily pull a vehicle behind. From what I have learned from owners is that the workhorse 8.1 GM engine is one of the best if you go used.
I would definitely recommend renting for a month. Some dealers will accommodate this as well as give you drivers training in a class A. Our kids bought a new 37 ft class A for 85k to give you a point of reference. Used ones should be 60 to 70 % of that a year or two old. As far as brands there are many and as many opinions as well. IMHO Tiffin, Winnebago/Ithasca are good units. And dont worry about clothing space in an A unless you are a clothes horse you will have lots of room. If you have the wear with all a diesel pusher is the next step up but walk before you run.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

Single male full timer here with a 40' Class A diesel pusher with one slide and a Jeep Liberty toad. You will only get a Class A recommendation from me. So, I hope some of the trailer/5th wheelers chime in for a different perspective.

This is my second motor home; the first was a 36' Class A diesel pusher. I knew I wanted to full time when I bought my first motor home and wanted a larger Class A that would allow me to load it up with stuff. The 36' MH didn't have any slides and after several winters in Florida I decided I wanted at least one slide up front. Things got a little tight for me when colder weather or rain forced me to stay inside more. I happened upon this 40' MH at a good price and decided I could live with the added length.

Almost forgot. If you are going to be sitting in the North over the winter, be sure the basement area with your plumbing is heated by your furnace. You don't want to worry about frozen and damaged plumbing.

Usually, the advantage of a diesel pusher is the added weight you can carry. I can carry about 4400 pounds of my stuff without overloading the MH. Without a slide that number would go up. One of the disadvantages is the cost of maintenance. Usually, chassis and engine maintenance is going to be higher with a Class A diesel pusher.

I have a friend that full times in a 40' Class A and had some of his furniture removed and replaced with a desk and file cabinet, something you could consider if you feel the need for an 'office'. I understand from reading the forums that this conversion is not unusual.

Larger MH's usually have larger fresh water and waste tanks. This is important if you are moving around a lot. Unless I'm staying for several weeks, when I go to a campground I usually just hook up the electric and only hookup to sewer and water if I need to dump or want to use the washer/dryer. By continually using my fresh water tank I reduce the need to sterilize the system. If I'm careful I can easily go 7 to 10 days and sometimes up to 2 weeks without dumping. If I'm not careful, about 5 to 7 days and it is the gray tank that gets me.

I'm a full timer and spend my winters, about 5 months, in Florida and head north as the weather warms up in the Spring. During the Spring, Summer and Fall I travel continuously and usually don't spend more than a week in one spot. I find a Class A very convenient while traveling since I don't have to get out of a tow vehicle to get into a trailer. While traveling I will spend the night in a rest area, Walmart, or similar location and the Class A makes this very easy.

I do have a washer/dryer that meets my needs. It does relatively small loads but it is only me with dirty clothes or linens. You do need to be hooked up with a sewer connection to use the washer/dryer as you will very quickly fill up your gray water tank with the washer.

I put as much stuff on my computer as possible. All incoming paper work gets scanned, converted to pdf's and stored on the computer with a backup done frequently. Almost all of my confidential communication is electronic and I use online banking to pay my bills.

I assume you are female so my clothing needs are probably different. I'm mostly a tee shirt and jeans person. I carry lots of tee shirts, a couple of denim shirts, a few casual long and short sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, a few jackets, a rain jacket, and 3 or 4 pairs of jeans and shorts. I still do some consulting so I carry casual business attire but not much; a couple pairs of slacks about 3 long sleeved shirts, a sports coat, and 2 ties that I haven't worn since I started this lifestyle. One pair of semi-dress shoes that seldom see any action. The casual dress in American business today is a real boon to those of us that live in an RV. I usually head north over the xmas holidays to visit the kids so I have a suitcase in the basement with a heavy winter coat, lightweight boots, and gloves.

When I cleared out my house before starting the full time life, my kids took what they wanted and I had an auctioneer come in, pack up the rest and take it to his auction house for selling.
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Just a thought that hasn't been mentioned...

Look at Class As (maybe gas as opposed to diesel pushers if your not moving much, but diesels are the cadillacs), specifically at a bunk model. Some pull the bunks out and convert this area into a working office.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Lisa, I sent you a PM. I have had all types of RVs (except pull trailer) and will be glad to help you.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for all the input. I like details. I've been sick since posting. I'm planning to stay a weekend in a rented RV at Belton lake but they don't do that until March/April I was told. There's also an RV rental place in town that has a 31ft Class C for about $200 a night but on post it's much cheaper, however I can't drive the stationary one. More to follow.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #9

Hi Lisa, after many years of yearning to go rving I finally decided to just do it! I found a wonderful used rv dealership owned by a remarkable man who has become my rv mentor! Mike (owner of Palmetto RV in Mt. Pleasant, SC) could not have done more to educate me and after several months of making a few trips a week to his store he got in a 2002 Damon Intruder, 36 ft with two slides and a W/D. I fell in love with it! This past weekend was my first camping trip paid for by Mike! He sent me two expert employees to educate me about all things to do with the coach. My strongest suggestion is that you find your "Mike"! When you do you will be able to put your trust into that person and come away richer in knowledge and secure in knowing someone has your back! My full timing will begin end of March when dear daughter rents my house and I move into the coach to begin my new adventures! Best of luck with your plans, shop wisely and above all, enjoy the journey!
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Wow you had a nice break-in. Someone just have me a place that they've bought from twice so I plan to check them out. It would be so much easier if I was retired but I've got the bug now lol. Sometimes I think maybe I should forget this idea until later but it's something I've been wanting to do for awhile. I'm not good with so many choices.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #11

Choices

Hi Lisa, just want to say take your time, look at many and one day you will find one that just feels right! And that one will be yours. Enjoy the experience, ask lots of questions, learn all you can! And when you do retire you will be ready to go!
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #12

I would go with a used vehicle which is an approximation of what you may want. Then see how well it fits, what you would like, what you don't want, sell the thing and buy what experience has told you is worth having.

No one can decide for you what you want, need or like. No one can tell you what your wardrobe will be, what your job needs are and how you gauge your comfort level.

So head out there and try it the least expensive way you can while still coming close to what you think you want, then buy it. You won't lose much on a larger, less expensive MH and the experience will be invaluable.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #13

To me full-timers fall into 3 sub-sets.
1. Full time living in an RV w/o moving it.
2. Full time working, move to follow the jobs.
3. Full time, retired seeing the country and staying out the cold weather.

I am #3. I am using a 5th wheel that I really like. The slides are deeper than a MH making it more house like. I also have a big truck that I like. In the winter I park for 5 months in Florida then travel all late spring, summer, fall.

What # are you?

If you are staying put for long periods of time then probably a 5th wheel is better. But if you will be moving once or twice a week then a MH would be better. My 5th wheel gets moved about every week during the summer. It is easy and tows real nice.

A MH is easier yet to move. A MH is better to spend a night in while you travel.

If you need a desk area set-up like an office a possibility would be a toy hauler MH or 5th wheel. You could very easy do whatever you wanted to the 8' X 10' garage area.

Look at a lot of units, take your time, ask questions, go to the dealerships and RV shows.

Oh - I do not know the best way for you to also go camping. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you have a MH. You have the cable hooked up, sewage hose hooked up, electric hooked up, water hooked up, awning out, camping carpet out, awning is tied down with things that screw into the ground, sunshade in the front window, maybe outside rope lights strung up, you have pads under your jacks etc. etc.

Bottom line once you get set up it is a pain to unplug, drive to a camp ground set-up again for just a weekend. Where I am people will start packing up their MH 2 days ahead of their departure day after staying put for 4 months. Kayaks, chairs, tables, fire pits, bicycles, grills, name hanger, canopies etc. I start 3 days ahead.

Once I start to travel maybe I will get the grill out.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:31 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Lisa,

I'm a solo female fulltiming with pets. I chose a motorhome because I feel safer being able to drive away from someplace I feel uncomfortable without having to go outside.

I follow good weather, staying at daughter's in Seattle June-Oct and heading south for the winter. Spring and Fall I see the country on my way to better weather. I have friends and family all over the country and prefer to stay on private property or boondock rather than in campgrounds.

One thing you might consider is that it is easier to get financing before you retire if that's an issue for you. But, you can often save a lot of $ on excise taxes and license plates if you chose a state like South Dakota as your state of residency. I bought my RV a few months before retiring and registered in in SD. It saved me over $2500 on my small MH and toad instead of licensing in OK.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote