Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie101 View Post
Great info - but how do you deal with the a/c(no a/c) in the Southwest of all places? The solar info is great to hear (wouldn't it be great if it worked for everything ...but heck - it just ain't there yet)
Altitude. At this moment, I am sitting at 7400' MSL (in New Mexico, nearly on the continental divide) and it is a very comfortable 84 degrees (nearly no humidity) with a breeze blowing. It was 54 degrees overnight. I know some people MUST have 72 degrees at all times. I am not one of them. If you are, my approach will not work for you. During the hot months, camp at high altitude locations. During cool months, camp at low altitude locations. Dress down when warm (shorts.period) and dress up when cool (sweaters, jackets, hat, etc...). Of course, even I have a limit. If I were wearing my winter parka in the RV, I would turn the heat on. If I'm wearing my underwear and sweating like a pig, I'd turn the generator/AC on. Obviously, this approach doesn't work for everyone nor in every geographic area.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #72

Forest River Owners Club
I am just a recent lurker to this thread. We do not full time yet, but I do side work that requires a GOOD phone connection, and while having access to my tablet or a laptop. We have found getting a cellphone signal of high quality in the places where we camp to be a huge challenge. We usually have to drive somewhere to get a better signal. I am concerned when you said as long as you have VoIP telephone. In my experience, this means a rock solid IP connection, with great bandwidth. Again, we have experienced challenges with this while in our RV. I have found that "broadband" is subject to interpretation. We have ATT smart phones, but have noticed you cannot go by ATT maps of their "service area. Good luck. You are my hero!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaggy View Post
We have found getting a cellphone signal of high quality in the places where we camp to be a huge challenge.
Hi Flaggy,

I know it is not the perfect solution but, for me in the southwest, switching to Verizon (from T-Mobile) was a massive improvement. Next, adding a Wilson Sleek to my equipment list was another big step forward. My write up on the Sleek is here. Obviously, there are lots of options but this is a pretty inexpensive one that opened up a lot of territory for me (I require phone and Internet for work).
Old 08-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #74
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaggy View Post
I am concerned when you said as long as you have VoIP telephone. In my experience, this means a rock solid IP connection, with great bandwidth.

I have found that Skype can manage better voice quality than most, even with a slow bandwidth connection.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #75

Forest River Owners Club
Very interesting write up on the Sleek. We will need to keep that in mind for the future. It sounds like a great solution for you. We camped in New Mexico this summer and heard from other campers that Verizon works well in those locations. In our part of the Midwest, ATT is the best solution in most areas. BTW, I have always liked the Toyota motor homes. Since the DW started camping with me, a higher level unit was needed. Keep exploring the new life style.

Tags
advice, rving