Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:02 AM   #1

Need some Advice for going FT

I've been reading loads of threads and there is so much great information. One thing I'm struggling with though is the decision on the best rig for my plans.

I've seen very logical advice about going and seeing lots of vehicles and finding the right floorplan - and this makes sense. But then, folks say that when budget is a concern that you should look for older models.

But wont the older models have a different floorplan than newer models I'm looking at? That's kinda the first disconnect I'm having.

Then my second question is whether there are any solo female travelers that would like to share how they decided on their rig. I've now spent quite a few weekends walking through 5th wheels, Class A and Class C - and I still cant make up my mind. Any suggestions based on experiences welcome.
bghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 04:46 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bghouse View Post
I've been reading loads of threads and there is so much great information. One thing I'm struggling with though is the decision on the best rig for my plans.

I've seen very logical advice about going and seeing lots of vehicles and finding the right floorplan - and this makes sense. But then, folks say that when budget is a concern that you should look for older models.

But wont the older models have a different floorplan than newer models I'm looking at? That's kinda the first disconnect I'm having.

Then my second question is whether there are any solo female travelers that would like to share how they decided on their rig. I've now spent quite a few weekends walking through 5th wheels, Class A and Class C - and I still cant make up my mind. Any suggestions based on experiences welcome.

Bghouse,

Welcome. Good to see solos post here.

I'm a male solo fulltimer in a Class C. A woman might well have more or different concerns but many are alike.

If your budget is unlimited buy new. There will be fewer problems after an initial "punch list". The biggest problem I've encountered in fulltiming is finding honest people to work on my motor home.

New and older models will have different floor plans. You need to go look at a bunch to get a feel for whatever type you decide to get. Like every solo I've met, I went with a one piece unit. Most don't have towed vehicles.

I'd planned on a travel trailer until I talked with a guy in a short A. His budget was like mine- minimal. Most folks stay at Walmarts, truck stops, and other non-traditional locations occasionally. The lower your budget the more you try to save.

So pace off 2 Walmart parking spot longways. Ideally your rig will fit into that "double" spot. Can you park "across" the line and take 6 places? Sure. You can piss people off too.

Go to a truck stop wiith RV parking and maybe a dump station. Sit outside and watch. Most RV parking places will be filled with bobtails and those "Panther" quick deliver trucks. Watch folks take 15 tries to get to the dump station or a fuel island with a long TT or a fifth wheel. Can you learn to drive like the big rig drivers? More than likely. But why bother?

Again depending on your budget, you might want to use a discount grocer like Aldis. I've been in a bunch and the lots aren't big rig friendly. Many parking lots will give you trouble if you're not very, very proficeint.

I can't see making my life more difficult for a few feet of space that, as a solo, I don't need anyway.

A's are heavier duty than C's but are more difficult (and expensine) to have repaired. Always price tires and a windshield for any used rig you might consider. Stay away from anything used with laminate flooring or a reefer that doesn't work on propane. Those indicate someone took the cheapest way out. What else did they shorcut? Maybe oil changes?

Again welcome. I hope some who have decide differently than I will chime in.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice! I've recently also been looking at those Class B+ rigs from Coach House and Pleasure Way. I have no clue if I could handle being full time in them but wow - the gas mileage and the driveability sure is appealing. And with the gas mileage I'd be more apt to move I think...

No matter what it would be a massive change to my lifestyle, but there is so much that appeals to me as well as so much that makes me go "seriously, what are you thinking?" - hahahaha
Old 07-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
One of the things to consider with an A, B or C is; you can get into the driver seat and take off if the situation gets sticky. (unsafe people) Anything below 26 foot is easy to handle and you will not need a toad. but it is a smaller footprint of living space over a larger MH. It does prevent you from collecting STUFF. The only reason one needs a bigger house is to store more STUFF.

Like most things a little practice with a larger MH and it no longer feels scary. Older or newer MH you will have issues. Network on places like IRV2 and you can find people who can fix the problems reasonably.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

FWIW as in BTDT but there are two of us. Anybody that says a 26 ft C let's you go anywhere is in denial. Unless all you plan on doing is camping in the open land in the west you will end up wanting a towed. Dollies are the cheapest and arguably as easy as a towbar while accommodating more choices in vehicles.

Given a choice between a B+ and a C I would go C. You will come to love the front attic.

Either an A or C is safer and handier than a trailer. If the weather gets crappy pull off and watch it go by while sitting there dry and warm. Don't like what is going on outside start up and leave. C's are cheaper to buy and probably to maintain just because of who will work on them.

Living part time and having to make the bed every night or clear the table to be able to eat gets old fast. That moves you into a floor plan that has separate eating sleeping and sitting areas. That will get you into the 26- 30 ft give or take class. There are several floor plans in that size that have been common for at least 15 years. You do not want to go older than that anyway. The longer units may also give you bigger tanks and a more usable shower. Both things you will value.

You may also want to consider what you can do or have done to modify whatever you get. Dinettes can be a pain but replaced by a table and chair. Couch can become a small desk and recliner. Do you need the passenger seat or could it become a desk for a laptop and/or paperwork? Things to consider as you progress.

Fuel economy is an issue but one way to minimize is a small towed and fewer miles on the base camp. How big a hurry are you in? ;-)

Good luck, have fun and remember the journey is the object.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW as in BTDT but there are two of us. Anybody that says a 26 ft C let's you go anywhere is in denial.
Taken my 26 foot A too museums, movie theater parking lots, St Louis MO, Grocery stores, the Ozarks, I don't park at the front door and need to walk a little. Drove it as a daily driver for a week back and forth from the CC to my daughters house in O'Fallon MO. Parked on the main street in Herman MO just like the USPS guy does.

I can't go 4 wheeling with it, Under low bridges, it would look a little funny in a funeral procession. But then you can't take a car everyplace either
Old 07-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #7

So many decisions to make really. I am still working as a computer programmer, so having a place to work on my laptop is important to me and of course I will have expenses for internet connection for my remote job. So that's a large chunk of my budget each month.

I keep looking at the C's with that overhead and thinking what a waste of space for me. I'm 5'4", have no desire to climb up and sleep in a tiny space. And storing stuff in places hard to reach sounds painful....

Right now as I look at things I'm always finding stuff that doesn't work for me. Dinettes with tables that are too high for me to work on my laptop for 8 hours... beds that take space better suited to something else, etc.

I have a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire, paid in full, 50k miles that I looked up and they said it could be towed 4 wheels down.

The fees for parking overnight are also a concern. Because I still need to work 40 hours a week, I can see myself staying longer in a place so I have time to really experience the area. So I thought why not tow my existing car and do a small Class A or something.. But then the Class C and these Sprinter Class B's looked very nice also...

I thought initially that since I'm used to a minimum of $1000 a month in rent on the West Coast that I could make this happen - but then worry about insurance costs, internet costs, etc.

Then again, I feel kinda trapped anyway because I cant afford to spend more to live in other places I like, and while there are many, many places I want to visit and experience I'm not sold on living there full time either. I really hate feeling trapped :-(
Old 07-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Taken my 26 foot A too museums, movie theater parking lots, St Louis MO, Grocery stores, the Ozarks, I don't park at the front door and need to walk a little. Drove it as a daily driver for a week back and forth from the CC to my daughters house in O'Fallon MO. Parked on the main street in Herman MO just like the USPS guy does.

I can't go 4 wheeling with it, Under low bridges, it would look a little funny in a funeral procession. But then you can't take a car everyplace either
You also cannot get it into many places in older parts of the NE US because the streets are too narrow and the needed turning radius too tight. It won't do well in malls with a lot of curbing between lanes or in any tight museum lot. My point is that because you got where you wanted to go I could not get into a lot of places I wanted to go and I got it into places that had folks wondering how I did it. Now I unhook the towed and sail through the places I could not get in to. When I go into a metro area I can park and visit whatever drew me there without a problem. I don't have to worry about how I would turn around when I go exploring. IMO trying to sell somebody on the idea that they can do it all in a 22 ft motor home or a dually long bed P/U is doing them a real disservice. YMMV.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Howdy and welcome bghouse!

I'm a solo fulltimer in a Class A and also still working in the software industry.

Spending a full work day in nearly any RV furniture would be torture to me. I removed a couch and installed a desk and "proper" chair for my "office".

Parking "costs" vary based on your location, needs, and your sense of adventure. I very rarely pay more than $10/night for a spot and spend a good chunk of my time in free or low cost locations. I'm out west though and understand that is not available to all.

My limited experience with Internet is that it is best to get yourself a good cellular data plan that fits your needs and learn how to conserve. Free wifi at campgrounds has not been all that great in my limited experience. I'm able to conserve and use a relatively small amount of data (2-3 Gb/month), this isn't always possible for every type of job. The big downloads are done at McDonald's, Starbucks, etc...

I suspect it will be very hard to find the "right" floorplan until you've lived the life for a while. It might be easiest to find a rig with a great resale and seems reasonably ok to you, live in it for awhile, and then find a rig you really like/meets your needs after you have some experience with what works and doesn't work. Of course, you don't have to be "stuck" with small-ish items in any RV. If you don't like the furniture - change it. If you don't like the fixtures, change them. Curtains, mattress, decorations, carpet, etc....

If you are an introvert (most of us in the software industry are), you'll probably love the lifestyle. I can imagine an extrovert would hate it. In the past, a whole week might go by in which I didn't speak a single word - when I finally did say something it almost sounded odd. Now that I have a cat, I seem to talk a lot more. :-)

Finally, remember that it is not a lifetime commitment. Give it a try for a period of time and, if you don't like it, return to what you do like. Obviously, a used RV is a better choice if you may turn around and sell it in a few months.

Best of luck!!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #10

Thanks JFNM - that's very helpful.

I was thinking how much the typical furniture just doesn't seem to suit me. Makes me wonder if I'm better off finding an older used rig and just pulling out things and replacing them.

I am definitely a bit of an introvert, and also have a thirst for knowledge and learning that pushes me to want to go place, see things, go to museums, etc.

I'm also out west, and would love to learn more of the secrets for low cost places to stay...

The internet is hands down the toughest part. I need to switch to a local MAMP install for my web dev stuff, try to figure out just how often I'm sharing to github, etc. I work with a geographically diverse team that is constantly pushing information around. Needs to get better for sure....
Old 07-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
I was thinking how much the typical furniture just doesn't seem to suit me. Makes me wonder if I'm better off finding an older used rig and just pulling out things and replacing them.
I'm not sure if there is a "best" approach. It seems people have as many problems with new rigs as they do old. Being a DIY person helps a great deal, either way. I sold my old furniture on Craigslist which helped offset some of the cost.

Quote:
I'm also out west, and would love to learn more of the secrets for low cost places to stay...
I spend most of my time in Forest Service (NFS), state parks, and BLM land. If at NFS or state park campground, the nightly cost is typically in the $10/night range. BLM land is nearly always free. In nearly all cases, all of the above are dry camping/no hookups. Dispersed camping doesn't seem to be widely understood but, generally, you can camp nearly anywhere on forest service land for free. That said; there are some rules (within X feet of a road, in a place someone else has already camped, sometimes not allowed, two-week max, or other restrictions) so be sure to check first. All of this requires enough onboard equipment to be comfortable/able to work. For me, this means big water tanks, big battery bank, big propane tank, and solar panels (I really dislike generator noise). I can spend four weeks out before I have to dump/fill tanks (which is generally longer than you are allowed to stay in one place - except for the LTVA sites). Obviously, some money is spent to save money. I think it works out to my advantage (when compared to $30-40/night campgrounds and having full hookups all the time) - plus I MUCH prefer to be out and away. That said, the occasional night with full hookups is nice to dump/fill tanks, do laundry, and take a long, hot shower!

Finding the spots takes some time and research. A couple references to get started:
Map of Free Camping Areas | Go Camping for Free!
Camping - Recreation - BLM Arizona (for example, this is AZ specific)
Tonto National Forest - Camping & Cabins (also for example, Tonto NF in AZ)

Quote:
The internet is hands down the toughest part.
I completely agree. I've had good success with Verizon and a Wilson Sleek Amplifier (my review here) - the Sleek makes a HUGE difference. I purchased the more capable external antenna with the thought of mounting it on a pole and getting it up in the air but haven't had the need yet. I think Wilson has some newer offerings now. Camping in a "hole" is problematic as cell signal can't get down in them. Signal is usually excellent on hill/mountain tops. Good signal can usually be found within a 10-20 mile radius of all Interstates (and major highways to a slightly lesser degree). Getting up higher than the road (line of sight) is very helpful. I really appreciate it when people include cell signal comments in their spot reviews and always try to do the same.

Quote:
I work with a geographically diverse team that is constantly pushing information around. Needs to get better for sure....
That is a MAJOR plus!! Your company already understands that it doesn't matter where a person is "sitting" - many shops are not past that yet. You might consider not even telling them "where" you are - you're simply sitting at home working. :-) My biggest data consumers are code gets/commits, SharePoint (design doc's and whatnot), and updates (patches, service packs, AV software signatures, etc…) so I try to manage that closely. McDonalds (free wifi) is your friend! Having a complete environment locally is probably mandatory. When I have to work on a remote system I nearly always use an RDP connection to minimize the bandwidth used. Teaching people to minimize data consumption is a challenge - some think it is unlimited. Some folks like to slap a 5 Mb image in a 200 k document or email. Ugh - bloat! I'm constantly fighting that.

A minor warning - it is very easy to get in a rut where you are spending every waking hour working. Seems to happen because a person doesn't have hobbies or no friends to drag them away or you feel like you are cheating(nobody should be allowed to live in such cool places with such a sense of freedom???) or whatever. Make sure you avoid this - exploring (as you stated), walks, cycling, geocaching, fishing, or whatever.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #12

Hi, I'm a male, full-time solo in a 5th wheel. I haven't met any other solos in a fifth wheel. They're always in A or C.

A or C have the distinct advantage of the ability to escape a bad situation by driving away. It takes me more over half an hour to put the slides in and hitch. Not something I could do in an emergency. As a female, you may feel safer with that option.

That said, I personally like the feeling of a fifth. I can't relax in my home when I can see the steering wheel. But, that may just be me. (grin).

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
ken02802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
You also cannot get it into many places in older parts of the NE US because the streets are too narrow and the needed turning radius too tight. It won't do well in malls with a lot of curbing between lanes or in any tight museum lot. My point is that because you got where you wanted to go I could not get into a lot of places I wanted to go and I got it into places that had folks wondering how I did it. Now I unhook the towed and sail through the places I could not get in to. When I go into a metro area I can park and visit whatever drew me there without a problem. I don't have to worry about how I would turn around when I go exploring. IMO trying to sell somebody on the idea that they can do it all in a 22 ft motor home or a dually long bed P/U is doing them a real disservice. YMMV.
Yes their are places one can not go in a MH like Boston streets. I don't do well in malls let alone the MH. The malls in this part of the country I can get into easy, not much different then Wally world parking lots. Should I get to an area that I would not be able to get into with the MH I would rent a car for a short period of time. Same as I would if I was flying a plane into an area. One does not "need" to pull a toad IMO. I don't worry about how I turn around when I do not pull a toad. Other alternatives exist if you need a smaller unit. Can't do it all if you pull a toad either
Old 08-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Class A, big enough to be comfortable (40' works for me), definitely have a toad - for emergencies, running errands, everything.

Buy USED, a new rig will always have a "punch list" of things to be fixed.

If you look carefully you can find a few year old WELL MAINTAINED (documented) coach that will serve you much better than new whilst saving you tens of thousands of dollars.

Be handy - learn to fix coach stuff yourself - leave the engine and transmission to the experts and do ALL the routine preventative maintenance. Keep a fund for repairs, most extended warranties are too much of a hassle and too expensive.

My 2 cents and opinion only.

Enjoy!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice