Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #645

Overnight parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
I wasn't thinking; you said you were new to this. I don't think anyone recommends sleeping at rest areas. I have done it but not while full timing. I almost always ask at Walmart. I sometimes call ahead. Some people never ask.

I find myself staying more and more at truck stops. I've never felt unsafe and there's always people staying at them. Some have special areas for RV's. If not I park as far from the buildings as possible. While I seldom run my generator, many do and alot of the trucks idle all night.

I use a few different sources to find overnight stops. The site I linked WAS one of my primary sources.

Another is the book called "The Next Exit". I think these are sold at Pilot/Flying J's. Travel America sells a different book. Or I might have it reversed- I'm old. I forget things. I found The Next Exit version better for the way I travel. Both books list ONLY businesses off the interstates.

I also use the free Pilot/ Flying J RV travel guide. Its 70 pages or so and lists all their truck stops and the services that are available. They have an RV discount card that gets you acouple pennies off fuel and cuts the dump fees from $10 to $5. The P/FJ website says RV's may park in any available spot. I seldom ask.

The free 120 page "Transmit America Permit Network" book list most truck stops in the US and Canada. It only gives city, intersection and phone number but its about the only source for off the interstate truck stops. The directory is available at most truck stops with religious services or online at : Welcome To Trans Mid-America, inc.

I also use the free CAT scale directory available at truck stops. Generally, if there's a scale there will be a place to park.

Travel America's website has a list of their truck stops. Quality on these is all over. From Lodi, OH which I'd recommend to anyone to the one around Youngstown that is the absolute pits of hell.

I picked up a new little book last fall that I haven't used much. Their web site is Road Life Publications | The Official Home of the Pocket Truck Stop Guide I think it was $5 or so from pilot/FJ's. It just seems clunky.

I'm not sure about the Sweetwater Walmart. Generally the area is super friendly. When I'm there I either stay at Regan Station flea market halfway between Sweetwater and Niota or with a friend north of town. Murphy, NC is an hour or so away just "over the mountain". I really like Murphy but the Wally World there is NOP. There is free camping in the National Forest there.

mangy dog

Edited to add- I usually stop around 3PM or so. That way if my first choice doesn't allow parking- I can move to my alternate. Also the all you can eat buffets usually have the cheaper "lunch" menu until 3:30. Once your in...
Thank you mangy dog, for the helpful info. I have been considering doing the Flying J discount card. Sounds like a good tool to have. I tried locating some Plaza's on my route but didn't really see any right off the highway. I don't want to venture into too much traffic as I am a Newbee driver. I'll be the one parking a mile away just to have easy access getting in and getting out!!
Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #646

Hi Peggy,
I have seen pictures of the coach you got. It's really nice. Hope you can get it without any more weather interruptions. I actually have found more on Craigslist than in any of the RV dealerships - of the ones I'm interested in. The one I really want is a Fleetwood 31m Class C. I have not driven one yet, but since I want to do this full time, it is one that the interior feels like home. I'm just waiting for the right one to show up, and like you will hopefully be the early bird. Take care
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #647

iRV2 No Limits Club
Thunder, snow, wind, might just as well get on with this post

I HAVE been putting this off for some time, since september 30, 2013. My wife of 54 years died of cancer that we fought for three years.
The two of us have been campers even before we got together, at Oklahoma State University. We used, over the years, tent (one awful time), van with mattress, ice chest and porta p., pickup camper, 26 foot airstream, 32 foot square trailer and for the last 10 years a 23 foot B+ motorhome, current.
I am having a failure to launch episode in that I keep thinking that it needs more stuff than we ever had, I am missing my left leg (use crutches or wheelchair) so have electric dumpvalves and a macerator pump so no sitting on the ground to do all that and now have solar power along with new batteries.
I really did not realize how much of the work she did just getting out of the house and into the going down the road mode, like closing up the house and getting gas in the mh and and.
I do not know how you girls do this by yourself, that is a funny as you did most of the stuff anyway. Bless your hearts.
As for being afraid to get started, dont sweat the small stuff, and its all small stuff, just a lot of it. Don`t feel like you have to push it to some event or place, you have wheels, they will stop turning at any point you want or need them to, and then you are camping. Family used to ask us what we would do if something broke on the road and I told them we call that boondocking.
I want to be in the warm weather not hot and cool weather not cold.

More later, maybe, Warren
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #648

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Warren,

This is a family of single solos....and we thank you for your encouraging words...especially all the ladies!!. I have made many friends on this website....there are great monthly get togethers by Texas Boomers....I've been waiting for this "winter" to end already to start doing some trips....today a high of 18 in Dallas, Tx, ugh....so it must be polar land in Oklahoma! You folks get the grunt of mother nature's weather, that's for sure, but up north has really gotten hit bad this year...and now look at Calif...no rain to mudslides.

I've been getting the rig ready when we have had nice days and stocking just what I need, try not taking too much "stuff"....yes it does take a lot of work! The rewards are wonderful.

My prayers are with you....
Bev
bevnicka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #649

iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Bev, it was +3 here this morning and an inch or so of sleet and snow on everything in sight.
I just happen to be a Texas Boomer and an Oklahoma Boomer and a SKP since 1982, we were Texas residences for quite some time, banked at a mobile home bank in SPI and lived on the island, lived at SA for 2 years, Bandera, Hondo , Mercedes. I am now sorta thinking about SKP CARE for a while?

Faster horses, more money softer women jose, Warren
Old 03-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #650

Warren, There are never words to express a loss, especially a relationship of 54 years. My deepest condolences. You do, however, have 54 plus years of wonderful memories that I would say a lot of us don't have with someone. You were blessed.
Thank you for reminding us girls that we can do whatever we put our minds to. We do tend to sweat the small stuff. The big stuff just happens and we deal with it.
As Bev says, we are a family of solos and are here for each other. I also am in Texas and Bev met me at the RV show last weekend and I learned a lot. She's the expert. Thanks to all the experienced folks on this site I feel more confident in making decisions.
Stay warm and take care
Scarlett
Old 03-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #651

iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Scarlett, I have been digging thru some of the memories for a few days, what with all the junk she picked up at wherever we were and thousands of pictures we took, I can go any where I want without going outside. This week I went to Hawaii and Puerto Rico, it was really warm!! I was a field engineer manager so we went where we wanted and sent the other guys to the places we didn`t. I hate to leave all that in a closed up house but recon I will.

Enjoy the cool weather, you can remember it in July, Warren
Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #652

Warren, I was a field engineering manager for many years, also. Even belonged to AFSM back in the day. Was an FSM for my own company, Systems Control Corp., NEC, and Harris Data Comm. Any chance we knew each other?

Wayne
Old 03-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #653

Warren, we just moved back to Texas from California in September and rather than lug 20 albums full of pictures, I scanned them to my computer and made a disk, so any time I want to look at the pictures I have them available. Maybe you could do that and keep your memories with you. Yes, I will remember the chill. I NEVER complain about the cold. I can always put on more clothes or cover up with blankets, but I can't get cool enough in the heat. Especially when you add the humidity to it. I know it's coming, and I'm not looking forward to it.
Take care, Scarlett
Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #654

iRV2 No Limits Club
Scarlett, I don`t think I have the patience to do all that, unless it gets really boring here. a good idea, also I should write a book of all our travels.

Wayne, Hey, I worked for Seeburg Corp in Chicago, from the mid 80s they built the first CD player jukebox I think it came out in 87 or 6. I spent most of my time out of the SE quarter of the US and did lots of AMOA shows all over. I think the strangest one was in London in an old blimp hanger. Most of my time was holding seminars.

Faster horses, jose cuervo or something, more money, Warren
Old 03-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #655

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just found out that Bill Halberstadts Walmart list has been updated. It is at: http://halberstadt.macmate.me/Walmart

My tablet won't do pdfs so I can't comment on accuracy. A while back I got the Allstays list to load and found about as many mistakes as Bill's old list.

I've also stopped at the TA in Lodi, OH since I've been back and the buffet has gone to hell in a handbasket. It's a definate waste of money for lunch and dinner. Breakfast was still OK but they raised the price and ordering coffee brings the bill to dinner prices.

You can still dump for free- and if you have dinner there you might have to dump twice!

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #656

Mangy dog: Love you last line, same here at the FJ a real choke and Puke.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #657

Talking Hello

Good Morning all! I am new to full time RVing and doing it alone with my furry kids! I am in South Carolina and the weather is beautiful!
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #658

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Camper 86 View Post
Good Morning all! I am new to full time RVing and doing it alone with my furry kids! I am in South Carolina and the weather is beautiful!
Welcome! Happy to hear the weather is nice.

Ohio's is getting better- when it's not snowing, raining or just generally too cold for humans to exist!

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv