Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #1317

You go girl ! I'm in the same situation, I'm 72 yo and also have a sticks and bricks. Get out as much as I can. I have a Travel Trailer and always get stopped by someone amazed that I can hitch it up and do all things by my self. Welcome to the group.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisgbee View Post
I am working on being a Solo RV'er. My DW passed 3 years ago. It is now just me and my puppy. I decided RV'ing was something I still wanted to do, so I traded our large TT for a much smaller Class A motor home that I could handle by my self. That was a big decision but now I am faced with figuring out how to proceed.
Been doing a little traveling. Now planning to get more into it and moving my plan to action. I'm retired, so time is not the issue. It's more the whole idea of how to do this and learn to be Happy and have Fun.

You can definitely do this. My late husband and I started with a 36-ft Class A which terrified me. After 6 years we downsized to a 30-ft Class B plus and I love it. Drives like a big truck. Took me a little while to learn how to hitch up my toad but now am quite comfortable doing it. Just take some short trips for awhile until you feel more confident. This is a beautiful country and you will enjoy it in your moving house. Good luck!
bunny2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #1319

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisgbee View Post
I am working on being a Solo RV'er. My DW passed 3 years ago. It is now just me and my puppy. I decided RV'ing was something I still wanted to do, so I traded our large TT for a much smaller Class A motor home that I could handle by my self. That was a big decision but now I am faced with figuring out how to proceed.

Been doing a little traveling. Now planning to get more into it and moving my plan to action. I'm retired, so time is not the issue. It's more the whole idea of how to do this and learn to be Happy and have Fun.

Yes sir. I am essentially a solo RVer. Happily married for over forty years to the same woman. Love her dearly. I love camping and wanted a motorhome since my young youth. She doesn't like camping at all. So now I am home during the winter and camping most of the summer. My goal is to make at least one new friend on each trip. Sometimes I do, sometimes not. I have met a lot of nice people and keep in touch with several for years. Go, find stuff you want to see and/or do. Bring something to read or movies to watch or whatever entertains you at home. A MH is home. You just get to change the scenery, when you want.

Definitely check out campgrounds and parks to see which ones you will like and which to stay away from.
campgroundreviews.com and the Goods Sam sites are great resouces. Check rvservicereviews.com ahead, so you will know who to call when something needs fixing. Determine to have fun and you will.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #1320

Just getting ready ....

Hi All!!

I'm just getting ready to go 'solo'. I have a vintage ('95) Tiffin Bus, and Jeep toad. I have been retired almost 3 years, and have re-habbed an 85 Toyota class C, sold it, and now have done a lot of work on the Tiffin, taking most of my summer. I have trouble sitting around.

I just did a quick trip to see my son/grandkids in texarkana, sort of a 'shakedown cruise'. It went pretty good, with a couple of minor issues (tire on toad, dash heat in the MH, running lights not working, etc)

I've decided that I don't need a big house, so I'm going to add it to my rentals, and go full time in the RV (for a while, at least). I'm thinking I will put most of my furniture in storage, Just in case it doesn't work out (?)

Any thoughts?

A little background; I live in a Denver suburb, 67 yrs old man, divorced 35 years, so I'm comfortable in my own skin. Kind of a loaner, but my career was the opposite; I managed telecommunication projects all over the US, Europe, and South America. I got tired of all the travel, but now after 3 years......

Any guidance is APPRECIATED!!!!! I look forward to participating in the forum.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #1321

Checking in! I use my RV as a base camp for motorcycle riding. I found that there are tractor rallies and I'll be looking at that as well.
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #1322

Solo Rvers Club
There are THREE HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) Rallies I attend. In April, The East Coast HDT Rally is held in Crossville, TN, June has the West Coast HDT Rally in Caldwell, ID and, October has the National HDT in Hutchinson, KS. GREAT group of people. EVERYBODY is welcome at these rallies regardless of what RV (if any) you have. More and more newbies attend to gather information about moving up (or starting with) an HDT either as a tow vehicle or, an HDT motorhome. HDTs provide comfort and HUGE safety margins that "regular" tow vehicles can only dream of! Check out the HDT Forums on the Escapees website:

HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #1323

Hello! New here! Just bought an RV, and am hitting the road with my cat, full-time. I'm a woman, and... I know nothing about RVs. I need ALL THE KNOWLEDGE! Thank you in advance for access to and help in this forum! It's much appreciated!
Bonesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #1324

Bonesteel, You can get lots of help here, just ask. Also there are TONS of videos on Youtube that can help with any questions you may have. I've learned a lot from them.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #1325

Solo Rvers Club
RV Boot Camp. Escapees, FMCA. RVSEF. RV~Dreams, RVEducation101 and others offer this important training. It's a shame you bought your RV BEFORE you got the training BUT, better late than never. Google and learn!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #1326

Monaco Owners Club
Bonesteel don't be afraid to ask your neighbors in campgrounds. Most will be happy to help you learn. Enjoy your travels.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivykrewe View Post
Bonesteel don't be afraid to ask your neighbors in campgrounds. Most will be happy to help you learn. Enjoy your travels.
Thank you! And I will! I'm excited to meet new people and learn from them.
Bonesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:45 AM   #1328

Hey everyone, lurker here. I'm a van fan mostly, but planning to buy RV soon
ihavenoidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:49 AM   #1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
vfourmax - WELCOME!! We are so happy to see you on our solo sight! You are so right . . . RVing solo definitely is different than having a traveling partner . . . so many things to learn to do alone, coping with being alone a lot of the time. We're here for you! I think about any question you might have, you'll either find an answer here or someone that has had the same experience and that can offer advice to you. Questions I had when I first started off solo ranged everywhere from how to hook up the toad alone (it's not as hard as I thought it would be) to the whole black water/grey water thing. Funny, how we make things seem so much worse than they actually are by just DWELLING on them. Well . . . I've been out here by myself now since June of 2008, RVing full time since November 2006, and I AM LOVING IT - AND YOU WILL TOO! I'm usually not much of a joiner but I joined this website for moral support and for information . . . now I've joined a few other RV groups that have get-togethers or "meet ups" and I have to say, those have made this experience much more rewarding. I will be visiting Yuma on the 15th of December for a Wandering Individuals GTG (get together), then onto Quartzite for another GTG with several other groups (Escapee's SOLO, Loners on Wheels and Wandering Individuals). Not only are the get togethers fun (I just left the LoW Ranch in Deming where I made so many great new friends!) but it's a perfect place for you to meet people to travel with. This is my first time traveling with anyone and it's made things a lot easier . . . less stressful . . . less lonely . . . and more fun!!!

You have such a wonderful adventure ahead of you! And we'll be here for you every mile of the journey!!
Wow, your story is do encouraging. Thanks for sharing it. One of my biggest concerns is that I'm not mechanically inclined and if something goes wrong it is only me. Having people around, makes me feel like I could at least get opinions on what to do if/when something comes up.
Cherilanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #1330

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesteel View Post
Hello! New

ere! Just bought an RV, and am hitting the road with my cat, full-time. I'm a woman, and... I know nothing about RVs. I need ALL THE KNOWLEDGE! Thank you in advance for access to and help in this forum! It's much appreciated!

Hello and best of good luck to you.
I bought my first RV 9 years ago. I never had an RV before and jumped in and went full time. Yes i should have taken more time before purchasing but I still bought a 38 ft class A. I quite often got a lttle (maybe a lot ) stressed when certain things happened. Much of my stress relief came from this site. You will find this site to be extremely helpful. Also people you meet along the way will help as well. A unique group of people are in the RV world.
Now i am thinking sizing down and i do not know what i want....Oh well.
I am in Florida half of the year then i head North in the summer. So far it has been a great experience. I found out more about myself and it has changed me.

Have a happy and healthy new year and the best of good luck to you. Allen aka Gadget
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv