RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:13 PM   #1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
Hello and best of good luck to you.
I bought my first RV 9 years ago. I never had an RV before and jumped in and went full time. Yes i should have taken more time before purchasing but I still bought a 38 ft class A. I quite often got a lttle (maybe a lot ) stressed when certain things happened. Much of my stress relief came from this site. You will find this site to be extremely helpful. Also people you meet along the way will help as well. A unique group of people are in the RV world.
Now i am thinking sizing down and i do not know what i want....Oh well.
I am in Florida half of the year then i head North in the summer. So far it has been a great experience. I found out more about myself and it has changed me.

Have a happy and healthy new year and the best of good luck to you. Allen aka Gadget
Thank you so much, Allen! I just hit the road on Friday and I'm having a stressful/great time! I have a lot to learn, and it's coming at me fast and hard, but I LOVE IT! It's going to be an interesting 2019! Happy New Year!!!!!!

Bonesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 01:59 PM   #1332

Solo Now

I have been thrust into the solo RV world. My wife of 38 years passed away January 5th after a short battle with Cancer. We had only been RVing for a little over three years and were really enjoying it.

Will be a few months before I crank up and head done the road again. But, I do plan to continue the RV lifestyle without my best friend and navigator. Like the freedom and the people I've met.

I'm in the Dallas area will be looking to downsize from my 40ft with toad to something in the 30 ft range. Leaning to a 5th wheel at the moment.

One simple question has popped up in my thought train a few times. As a solo RVer, do you lock your RV door when you go to bed? I asked because if you need to call 911 for a health emergency, you may not be able to unlock the door for the ambulance crew to get to you. Nothing scary, but just a thought.

Still in the game.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #1333

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie79 View Post
I have been thrust into the solo RV world. My wife of 38 years passed away January 5th after a short battle with Cancer. We had only been RVing for a little over three years and were really enjoying it.

Will be a few months before I crank up and head done the road again. But, I do plan to continue the RV lifestyle without my best friend and navigator. Like the freedom and the people I've met.

I'm in the Dallas area will be looking to downsize from my 40ft with toad to something in the 30 ft range. Leaning to a 5th wheel at the moment.

One simple question has popped up in my thought train a few times. As a solo RVer, do you lock your RV door when you go to bed? I asked because if you need to call 911 for a health emergency, you may not be able to unlock the door for the ambulance crew to get to you. Nothing scary, but just a thought.

Still in the game.

Very sorry for your loss. Lost my wife of 42 years in Aug 2017. We had also RVíd for a few years before her sudden cancer battle. I also have 40ft DP and have continued with RV travels solo. Itís very lonely but sitting at home is worse!

Iíve considered downsizing but not prepared to take big hit on trade in and not sure up for private sale. Iím on my 4th 3 month trip since her passing plus a few other shorter trips.

On your question, yes I do lock my door at night but havenít considered your 911 scenario.

Best wishes as you move forward and just take it one day at a time. There will be many hard days but over time it does get easier.
mricet1005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #1334

So sorry for your loss, I can understand your concern. My husband and I use to go tenting for years, after he developed prostate cancer he didn't have the ability to camp like that again. I got my first TT when he was in remission. We had one trip together, then he relasped. Passed the next year. I had concerns like you but always locked my door. If it is possible you can hide a key somewhere on the outside, so if you call 911, just let the operator know where the responders can find it. Also there is an app, Life360 that allows you to set up a person you assign to be notified if you need help.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #1335

I also went from a 2005 mountain air to a 37ft 5th wheel

I also went from a 2005 mountain air to a 37 ft 5th wheel. after my wife's passing almost a year ago. I like the 5th wheel but don't expect anywhere near the quality that your used to. I've always worried about what would happen to my 2 dogs if I where to pass during the night ( kinda nuts huh? LOL ) So, here is what I've done. I have two people that every morning before 10 AM I send them a thumbs up to let them know that I still kicking. also,We all downloaded the "LIFE 360" app so they can always see my (Almost Exact ) position. I also let them know what park I'm at including the site number. If I don't check in? they will call me just in case I forgot. If no answer they'll call the local Sheriff's office and ask then to do a wellness check. NOW... So they can get into to RV if no answer, I installed a new front door entry lock that opens with a 4 digit combination as well as a key. that I purchased from Amazon. The brand is "RV LOCK" and it does the job. Hopefully this will be helpful.
Ed561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #1336

Been living in my MH for 17 months now still working for 3 more years then hitting the country side. you learn a lot living in one full time. Haven't travelled to far yet due. A couple of NASCAR races and weekend jaunts but I cant wait to hit the road for good. I'm in a 2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3610 with lots of upgrades. will be towing a 16 ft enclosed trailer with my Power Paraglider, KLR 650 motorcycle and paddleboard. Hoping for fun and adventure and minimum headaches!
Deepsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #1337

Outdoors RV Owners Club
New Solo Camper

Thought I'd stop in and introduce myself....looked like an interesting forum so why not - Pacific Northwest oriented (WA, OR) retired camper currently completing 2 month stay in desert SW (Vegas area and El Centro CA (79 deg today). Going to moisy over to San Diego for several week stay visiting daughter then snails pace Northward, 30+ days back to WA state.

Thinking about going full-time Snowbird routine and getting out of stick house/snow/rain in WA into SW Desert location for Winter, and back RV Pad/Lot in Western WA for nice Summer weather.

Suggestions welcome for Western WA RV Pad/Lot rental/purchase.

Greetings

James
Escapees member
Outdoors RV forum member
Possible WIN member (TBD),
jfriedhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #1338

OK I Went and Did It

Today I purchased a new 2019 Integra Esteem 29V Class C RV. It will be my 4th RV. Previously I had 2 trailers and most recently a Winnebago Aspect Class C. I have been without an RV for the last 3 years as my wife suffered through cancer and quadriplegia. Sadly she passed 4 months ago today. We talked of my plans and what my life would be after she passed and she approved of my travelling and seeing more of this great country we live in. I am looking forward to new adventures although I will miss my Sweetie and traveling companion for the last 44 years. I have sold our house, rented a small apartment and after taking delivery next Friday, I will be hitting the road. Wish me luck!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #1339

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
Today I purchased a new 2019 Integra Esteem 29V Class C RV. It will be my 4th RV. Previously I had 2 trailers and most recently a Winnebago Aspect Class C. I have been without an RV for the last 3 years as my wife suffered through cancer and quadriplegia. Sadly she passed 4 months ago today. We talked of my plans and what my life would be after she passed and she approved of my travelling and seeing more of this great country we live in. I am looking forward to new adventures although I will miss my Sweetie and traveling companion for the last 44 years. I have sold our house, rented a small apartment and after taking delivery next Friday, I will be hitting the road. Wish me luck!
Sorry for your loss and best of luck. It will be lonely some of the time, especially evenings not having someone to share the days reflections with or planning the next day. But in my experience, it beats sitting at home!
mricet1005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #1340

Solo Rvers Club
Condolences on your loss OLYeller. You'll find LOTS of solo RVers in your travels. The big RV clubs all have Solos groups / chapters. I'm currently at the FMCA event in Perry, GA with over 1500 other RVs. FMCA will have another major event (their 100th International Conference) in Minot, ND August 14 ~ 17. As the 100th event, it should be HUGE. It sounds like you're able to keep a positive attitude, event when faced with adversity. I expect you'll do well.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #1341

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie79 View Post

Still in the game.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Rita passed in her sleep last May in the MH. In the fall I joined a support group. One of the bit of advice that was often shared was not making major decisions until you have worked through the hard things.

The first time I did not sleep in the MH was a week back east visiting a son and daughter. I was exhausted and depressed when I got off the plane.

A few hour later I was driving the motor home from storage to one of our favorite campground. Then I noticed that I was not depressed, i was at peace, I was home.

It takes time to work through memories that are painful because those good times are gone. Your children give advice because they share your loss but we all grieve in a different ways. If I had sold the MH and moved in with one of the kids, then I would not have come to the point where you again have joy about the many memories you shared.

As far as having EMT get into your MH, if you are talking to the 911 and can not get to the door, they will figure it out.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #1342

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
As far as having EMT get into your MH, if you are talking to the 911 and can not get to the door, they will figure it out.
They'll get in. Lots of departments send firefighter/paramedics on a fire truck along with an ambulance for a medical emergency, and they have everything they need to get past the locked door if they need to. You might have to have the door replaced later, but they'll get to you if you need them.

I'm more worried about my dog than the door.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #1343

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss. Rita passed in her sleep last May in the MH. In the fall I joined a support group. One of the bit of advice that was often shared was not making major decisions until you have worked through the hard things.
I have heard this often from several different sources including my own cardiologist. I think it is overly broad to apply this to every situation. My wife was quadriplegic for almost 3 years when stricken again with cancer. Her numerous hospital stays and issues from the quadriplegia made it very apparent that her time here would be short lived. We discussed what I would do after she died and she helped me figure out how I would accomplish it. It was important to her that I stay involved in our grandkids lives as it is very important to me as well. She also said she wanted me to respect her memory and wait a suitable time before dating or remarrying. I told her that after 44 years of an amazing marriage, I had no desire to try to recreate it. As for grief and mourning, I had 3 years of it while I watched the love of my life slowly fade away and die.

I think it is different for men than women as well depending upon who has what role in the marriage. I had some very serious heart issues 8 years ago as well as 9 months ago. I always thought that it would be me to die first. Go figure. My wife's mantra after her illness was "don't wait!" She discovered first hand how life can turn on a dime and cut short any plans you might have. We were both in our mid 60's when she died. I agree you have to figure out if it is your emotions or your brain making the decisions but an arbitrary waiting period is just too dogmatic. I apologize if I got too serious here.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
I think it is overly broad to apply this to every situation.

.... I apologize if I got too serious here.
No need to apologize. It is a serous subject and an important subject for RVers to discuss. You are 100% correct every situation is different.

In my group, I was the only one driving 40 miles into to town from a camp ground. There are two broad category of loss, slow and painful with time to prepare; and sudden and unprepared. My case was the latter.

Five years ago, I was working in China when DW was evacuated to a hospital in Hong Kong during a typhoon. The day she was released marked when we stopped saving for retirement and started spending it. I was thinking that we would have 4-5 years where out health allowed us to travel independently.

Although DW wife had heart issues for 20 years, I assumed that I would go first because of my family history of cancer. I had things set up so she would be taken care of. Serious discussion with each of the kids. One even paid for us to set a family trust. I found out after her death that she had had similar discussions about how I would be taken care.

In other words we had an exit plan from being full time in the MH and it looked like we had a few more years to enjoy traveling.

My last pictures of DW were hiking with 17 month old Vivian in Snow Canyon State Park in Utah. Then we went on north to spend time camping with many old friends. Does life get any better than this?

My moment of trauma was shared. When I work up DW did not. I called 911 and yelled for help. My wife's friend in the next MH was an ER nurse. We did CPR for 40 minutes until EMTs and life flight took over.

I had friends beside that had shared the campfire the night before each step of process that day. One of the things I worried about later was the other people there. One of the women had a special bond with me. We were talking about going to China and it came up that her father and I had worked together. He told stories of the crazy guy who rented him a room in his log home in the mountains. She told me that it meant a lot to her and her adult children that they could be there for me. When her rather died in Spain (another place I had also worked), no one was there for her mother.

So there is a lot to think about in the context of being solo in an RV. I am basically repeating our life together. Why, because I enjoyed our life together.

Part of the time I am visiting family, part of the time camping and sailing with friends, and part of the time spending time where I have not made any friends yet.

For me there is an order of things. Doing something you enjoy with someone you enjoy it with. Doing something you enjoy alone. Doing something you enjoy with someone you do not enjoy it with so much.

I used to live close enough to Yosemite to take day hiking trips. Larry and guys who drank with Larry went camping so I joined them for a hike. Who knew that Larry could suck the enjoyment out of a beautiful place like Yosemite?

Took a women I was serious about to hike to Vernal Falls. After we got there she said what is farther up and we keep going. One of many enjoyable long walks with DW.

One of the downsides of being solo is you might be one of the dead they find in a Walmart parking lot.

Is that so bad? I am thankful that all of those that knew DW all their lives did not see her lifeless body. It is just not a memory they need.

When MIL died I was the only one she would allow in the room after she said her good byes. She knew I protect her and she did not want her children to see pass.

So I think an RV is a good plan for enjoying life even if doing it alone is not your first choice.

Tags
kz-rv