Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
Welcome pburkey and thank you for your service!

I'm unable to get on the internet much right now- I borrowed my employer's car to run to MickyDs for this. I posted some sources for free overnights earlier in this thread. I've heard of some free camping in MI but I don't recall the details. In south eastern OH there are free campgrounds owned by AEP called recreation lands. There is a free permit required that is available online. I hate to tell someone to search- its really impolite, but this is posted from my tablet so I don't have the links.

Anyway, welcome again.

mangy dog
Hey Thanx
pburkey1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #674

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
pburkey1961, I don't know what your disability is but, you probably can enjoy the RV lifestyle.

An excellent way to learn more and get started right, would be to attend an RV Boot Camp. The Escapees RV Club hosts RV Boot Camps in different locations at different times of the year. Other RV groups do Boot Camps too. An RV Boot Camp is generally run 2 or 3 days over a weekend. You and about 200 other "newbies" will be shown all the systems found on a modern RV and those systems will be "demystified". This is important because mistakes with RVs tend to be expensive, dangerous or both. Over the weekend, you'll get to meet many other great folks who are just getting started in the RV lifestyle. You can attend without having an RV (which might work better in your situation. Stay in a local motel) but, many attendees will have rigs and, most will be happy to show them off and answer questions. There are solo groups, some for specific RV brands, others just generic groups. Escapees have a Solo BoF (Birds of a Feather) group. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a group already for disabled vets. Google, irv2 and other forums are your friends. A little time searching online should turn up lots of possibilities. When you finally do get started, I'd recommend baby steps. Plan a two or three day trip not far from home. Heck, don't leave home! Just RV in your yard or driveway! That will give you the support system already in place (if you need it) yet allow you to see just how good a job of planning you've done. If you can live reasonably for a few days in your RV without having to go back into your home, you're on your way! You should be able to boondock in any RV for two or three days. Keep asking questions and learning. RV forums have very knowledgeable members, most of whom enjoy helping new RVers.

There's a series of RV-101 educational DVDs. They cost about $20 / DVD and, each DVD covers one or two RV topics. I was fortunate in that my public library had these DVDs so, I've been able to watch them for free. Occasionally they go on sale but, even at full price, they're worth it. A nice thing about a DVD is that you can stop, back up and sometimes even zoom in! Watch it several times until you grasp the topic. If there's a library nearby, start there. Otherwise, Google or Amazon should help you find what you're looking for. RV Travel - News, information & advice for RV enthusiasts is a free RV newsletter (donations appreciated) that delivers a daily email newsletter. All sorts of good information there! Keep us posted, have safe travels and GOOD LUCK!
I have gotten a lesson already, My neighbor backed into my bus and caused $10,000 damage to it. I had taken it to Cummings Bridge way and what I received was a nightmare. They had it for 5 months, when I picked it, the exhaust for the Gen was ripped off the work they did was shotty at best, one of the inside weather widows was broken, found out by finding glass in the couch, they disconnected my steps, let the air out if the inside tires, said my radiator was bad, brakes, suspension, tried to sell me $15,000 in service work, but what they didn't know beside being in a wheelchair, Imp a licensed master mechanic, DUMMIES Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #675
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburkey1961 View Post
What does that mean exactly, and why do you say that?
I think he was trying to say that the church gave you the RV as a charitable contribution because they believed you were losing your home, so maybe it would be best served to give it to someone who actually is homeless. (Of course, that may not be what he meant at all, but typically "pay it forward" is doing a good deed for someone.)
Old 04-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #676

I am sick due to toxic mold and lyme about ready to losing my 2nd home

I have been searching and listening to videos on line .. people who all left and took off for RV life. I am still concerned …with the what IF's .-- what IF u need medical care.. You would have to be living somewhere regular ? What about hauling a car behind , is it easy ? I have pets.. I thought What IF they brought flea's into the RV ? How do you get mail ? I am nearing the end of trying to fix a house that makes me sick due to mold.. horrible sad… and really cannot think of any other options but the RV life. I am so un sure of what models and IF i will be able to manage ,,, I have lyme disease too. I would love to hear from people who struggle with health alone and out here living this life. Thanks in advance.
nygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #677

SARAHW: You hit the nail right on the head. That is all I was trying to say, some one else, (a veteran disabled) maybe could use the RV for shelter. Since he had his house fixed, the best thing would be to pay it forward, since it did not sound to me as though he was really interested in the RV. I just don't understand the o/p getting mad. There appears to be more to this than meets the eye.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #678

Nygal, you can probably find the answers to all your questions somewhere on this site. I would suggest you post to the "full timers" forum. I have seen lots of issues including those regarding illnesses and living full time in an RV. Wish you the best.
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #679

In am interested in rving, and yes there is more to it, and yes after I made thousand of $ to get it ready for my disabilities, I did offer it back to the church and they told me to keep it and enjoy myself., I didn't want to go into more detail than necessary but in sounds like you have to in this world of irv2
Old 05-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #680

And you read more to it than YOU should have.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I think he was trying to say that the church gave you the RV as a charitable contribution because they believed you were losing your home, so maybe it would be best served to give it to someone who actually is homeless. (Of course, that may not be what he meant at all, but typically "pay it forward" is doing a good deed for someone.)
Here's a thought, I believe I already had "Pay it forward" when I didn't give up my life for everyone's freedoms to IRV2 but the loss of my limbs did!
Old 05-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #682

pburkey1961, Thank you, again, for your service and I'm incredibly sorry for the loss of your "freedom". Please don't misunderstand the good intentions of the great people on this site. We are, after all, human and things said in black and white don't always come across like they do in person. I have scoured this site for information and help, and there are comments everywhere that some could take the wrong way, but I don't believe any of it is done maliciously. What I have found is a wonderful group of people with the same love of the road and the RVing experience that want to help each other. I have copied and pasted a LOT of helpful information to my computer for referencing. I haven't found my MH yet, only because I'm waiting (probably irrationally) for the right price for what I want, but I have gained so much from the experts and experiences of the folks here. I wish you the very best, and hope you have a wonderful adventure with your rig.
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #683

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I hope I'm doing the right thing by getting on this forum.

Although I have beeen on iRV2 for over a year I am newly solo except for Trixie, my little rescue dog. Also fairly newly retired and have only been RVing less than two years. I never plan to full-time but am looking forward to a lot of trips. Just came back from a Thor Diesel Club Rally in Myrtle Beach and will be going to another TDC rally in Goshen during October. Also thinking about the FMCA rally in Asheville. It will be a little early for the best of the Fall colors but Asheville is always nice.

I have a big trip planned for July and welcome any suggestions. Trixie is a bit of a complicating factor as I don't want to leave her in the MH for more than 6 hours and I know there are places she cannot go.

My itinerary so far is Clarksville, TN, then KC, MO followed by Rapid City, SD and surrounding area including Devils Tower, WY then on to Butte, MT for a high school reunion. Then Lake Tahoe for a few days with family.

Return itinerary is unclear but I'm thinking about Bryce Canyon and Zion. I've already been to Grand Canyon and Yellowstone so looking for places I have not been on this trip. I have not seen anything that attracted my attention between Colorado and Kansas City.

Any thoughts on campgrounds or places are welcome.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #684

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post

I have a big trip planned for July and welcome any suggestions. Trixie is a bit of a complicating factor as I don't want to leave her in the MH for more than 6 hours and I know there are places she cannot go.
Hi There!

July is a tough month...especially the places you are planning on going. The heat can be...well...HOT! But I see you have a new fancy rig, and car as well.

Soooo, your AC in your rig should be working well...you just gotta make sure you are at a full hook up CG when you decide to leave Trixie. And that the CG has modern enough equipment that they will have a minimum of glitches. Also, I have heard that sometimes when you and your neighbor are plugged into the same dock...that can take power away from you, and visa versi. You might check with the CG ahead of time about this.

Also, have you tested your rig's AC in extreme conditions yet, i.e,; very high heat with very high humidity? I did a shake-down trip after I bought my rig in a modern CG 2 miles from my house last July, and learned that my AC freezes up in those conditions. It was serviced, and checked out after that, but it still does it. So in that environment the best I could do is get it down to 95 degrees in AZ 115 degree weather. Not good. So until I figure out what to do to fix that...I obviously can't travel in that kind of weather.

As far as the 6 hours...that is the max I would leave her...maybe 7 if she's not the anxious type. I am a professional pet sitter by trade, and my clients who don't have a doggie door must agree to my visiting their doggies 3 X a day policy. In the time allotted I space out the visits no more than 6.5 hours apart. If their dogs are unable to handle that average timing the clients have to upgrade the service.

There IS a possibility that you may find a pet sitter in the city/town where you are staying...to allow you to be gone for longer periods of time. I have been hired by RVer's here where I live.

However, I would highly encourage you to only hire a professional. If they are pros they will have insurance, and a business filing on record of their state. They will also be Pet CPR/1st Aid Certified. If they are a larger company they will have employees...if so, they will have a Surety Bond on those employees. They will have references...be sure you check them.

A good pro will be efficient, highly organized, and very good at communication. She will ask you lots of questions, to be sure about that communication. That's what you want.

Most of the problems occur with pet sitters who are not professional...like when you are using a neighbor, or someone who is brand new at it...don't hire them. Don't hire the cheapest person...they are cheap for a reason.

Good luck, and happy travels!
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #685

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Traveldogs,
Humidity in Arizona? Say it ain't so!!
Actually, I have a long story about camping and humidity in AZ that I may share some day.

We have plenty of humidity in SC but thankfully no 115 degree days. I know the A/C works hard in hot weather and had a car years ago that iced up. When driving the dash A/C seems to work less the faster I go. Maybe someday I will turn on the generator and run both dash and coach A/C to keep my cool.

The heat is one reason I have not planned on going further South than Bryce Canyon on this trip.

Great point about dog sitters, had not thought about that.

Trixie is a rescue dog and probably abused in her prior life because she is more than skittish with other people, especially around her home. Once I had a neighbor who is a professional dog judge come over to walk Trixie while I was gone to the hospital. The second day she called me to ask if I had taken Trixie somewhere or accidentally left her outside. After a bit of panic on my part it turned out she was hiding behind the guest bathroom toilet.

Another time I took Trixe to a neighbor who has a dog and fenced yard. Turned out that Trixie was too slender for her fence and ran home and sat on the front porch. She would not let anyone near her so another neighbor with a key went to the back door, then opened the front door from inside. I did not know about any of this until the neighbor called and told me not to be surprised to find Trixie at home.

Oh, wait, we're supposed to be writing about camping on this forum, aren't we?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #686

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Traveldogs,
Humidity in Arizona? Say it ain't so!!
Actually, I have a long story about camping and humidity in AZ that I may share some day.

We have plenty of humidity in SC but thankfully no 115 degree days. I know the A/C works hard in hot weather and had a car years ago that iced up. When driving the dash A/C seems to work less the faster I go. Maybe someday I will turn on the generator and run both dash and coach A/C to keep my cool.

The heat is one reason I have not planned on going further South than Bryce Canyon on this trip.

Great point about dog sitters, had not thought about that.

Trixie is a rescue dog and probably abused in her prior life because she is more than skittish with other people, especially around her home. Once I had a neighbor who is a professional dog judge come over to walk Trixie while I was gone to the hospital. The second day she called me to ask if I had taken Trixie somewhere or accidentally left her outside. After a bit of panic on my part it turned out she was hiding behind the guest bathroom toilet.

Another time I took Trixe to a neighbor who has a dog and fenced yard. Turned out that Trixie was too slender for her fence and ran home and sat on the front porch. She would not let anyone near her so another neighbor with a key went to the back door, then opened the front door from inside. I did not know about any of this until the neighbor called and told me not to be surprised to find Trixie at home.

Oh, wait, we're supposed to be writing about camping on this forum, aren't we?
Lol, Jerry! Yeah, but this is the solo forum, so everything goes, since solos got more challenges than other RVers.

You could move the conversation to the pet section if you want, though.

Seriously, Trixie does have some fear issues. All the more reason to hire an experienced pet sitter. Also, at least it would be harder for her to escape from your RV!

And please. ..feel free to tell your long story....would love to know what happened
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv