Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #729

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
Ken,

Mine switches automatically so I'm not sure how traveldogs' rv works either. On some, the camper plugs into the generator just like it was shore power. Your water suggestion might well be the cause. I thought most solar chargers went to float so as not to boil away the water but still there is some loss.

mangy dog
Thanks Ken/Mangy Dog,

We checked everything out today.

The batteries are sealed, no water needed; the genny also switches automatically, like Dog's; my batteries were still down to 50% from when I ran them down with the macerator, so we put a charger on them for a few hours.
The panel is working at maximum; and I have no parasites; we figure the panel is an 80 watt.....just enough for trickling.
We're going to check them again to see if they're holding the charge in a couple weeks.
We decided that I simply ran them down with the macerator, and I didn't give them enough time to recharge before turning on the fans the other day.

If the batteries turn out to be bad (I don't think they are) I might go for some lithium ones.
Either way, when they die I'll look into lithiums.
I'll look into the larger watt inverter if I start boondocking regularly.

But I got a question about that: will getting the bigger inverter automatically give me the ability to plug in things like my phone charger, and my laptop into any of my outlets, while I'm boondocking?
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #730

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post
But I got a question about that: will getting the bigger inverter automatically give me the ability to plug in things like my phone charger, and my laptop into any of my outlets, while I'm boondocking?
Cindy,

YW. From what I've read on here it may be a function of the inverter you have and how your coach is wired. Some suggest a smaller wattage converter for smaller drawing items. As far as being part of the 120 V outlets, I don't know. I do know that if your G is not running and you have 120V power it's coming through the inverter. A lot of what you can do depends on the number of batteries you have to draw from. Wish I could be of more help.

Ken
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #731

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmmm... If they're sealed it kind of sounds they're like AGM batteries. I haven't heard of any regular lead acid types for this application that are sealed. That doesn't mean there aren't any, it's just beyond my experience. AGM's are pretty new so I haven't used them either.

What you can run is a function of the inverter. How long you can do it depends on the battery bank. Just like your macerator drained the batteries, a large inverter will do the same.

Most less expensive inverters have a standby or no load draw of about 1/2 amp. That holds true up to about 800 watts. Larger than that I haven't checked. Some smaller ones, about 150 watts, are about 3/10 amp. I've seen a few older, larger inverters that had almost a 1 amp standby draw. I always unplug any inverter when I'm not using it.

If your rv will run on an inverter like it's a generator, then yes any outlet will run your computer. Obviously turning on the air conditioning or other large load will overload the inverter. Actually your built in battery charger might overload an 800 watt inverter. You'd want that turned off anyway as you would be using the batteries to charge themselves.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #732

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
Hmmm... If they're sealed it kind of sounds they're like AGM batteries. I haven't heard of any regular lead acid types for this application that are sealed. That doesn't mean there aren't any, it's just beyond my experience. AGM's are pretty new so I haven't used them either.

What you can run is a function of the inverter. How long you can do it depends on the battery bank. Just like your macerator drained the batteries, a large inverter will do the same.

Most less expensive inverters have a standby or no load draw of about 1/2 amp. That holds true up to about 800 watts. Larger than that I haven't checked. Some smaller ones, about 150 watts, are about 3/10 amp. I've seen a few older, larger inverters that had almost a 1 amp standby draw. I always unplug any inverter when I'm not using it.

If your rv will run on an inverter like it's a generator, then yes any outlet will run your computer. Obviously turning on the air conditioning or other large load will overload the inverter. Actually your built in battery charger might overload an 800 watt inverter. You'd want that turned off anyway as you would be using the batteries to charge themselves.

mangy dog

Thanks again Guys!

I look at the macerator run-down as a valuable learning experience...so am happier for it!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Cindy,

YW. From what I've read on here it may be a function of the inverter you have and how your coach is wired. Some suggest a smaller wattage converter for smaller drawing items. As far as being part of the 120 V outlets, I don't know. I do know that if your G is not running and you have 120V power it's coming through the inverter. A lot of what you can do depends on the number of batteries you have to draw from. Wish I could be of more help.

Ken
Another thing to consider is a 12 volt adapter (rather than 120) for you phone charger and your computers. This eliminates the power loss from the inverter.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #734

Looks like I should check-in here.
I do drive an RV and solo unless you count my dogs. I'm kind of new to RV'ing, had a tent trailer 25 years ago when the kids were young. I never thought about getting a MH until last year, I had traveled across Canada several times on business and pleasure but had never been to Newfoundland. I retired 16 months ago and started looking into exploring Newfoundland, not the easiest place in NA to get to with two big dogs who have never been in a kennel or airline approved carrier to get stacked like luggage. They are used to traveling 12-15 hours in my van but we take a pee break every 4-5 hours. Shortest ferry is 6-8 hours, the boys could do it in the van but then trying to find hotels/motels that allow 2 big dogs and a smoker not easy. Turned out easier and cheaper to buy a used 1996 Maverick 29' on a Ford E350. The dogs slept through the ferry ride. Even though it's a 96 "Fix Or Repair Daily" I didn't have any problems. After 4 weeks, 3000 miles, 16 campgrounds, a few fields and 2 beaches, it is the only way to really tour Newfoundland, meet the locals and get lost in the beauty of the "Rock". I just got back from 3 weeks touring southern Quebec and eastern Ontario another 3000 miles with no major problems. Buying a MH was the best decision I've made in years.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #735

Solo Rvers Club
Welcome to the Solo Forum Stephen. Sounds like you're having a great time. Glad you're aboard. Enjoy your adventures, keep us up on your travels and be safe.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:47 AM   #736

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome Stephen!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #737

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Welcome Stephen! It sounds like you and the kids are really enjoying yourselves!

What kind of dogs?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:22 AM   #738

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Stephenfc

Welcome to Solos....I've been out of touch most of this year due to illness, but getting much better....haven't been out with my rig except for little trips down the road just to keep the rig going....hopefully in the fall I'll be able to do a little bit of traveling around Texas where I live. Sounds like you jumped right in and are having a great time. I have 2 standard poodles...quite good gentlemen....but understand the hotel/motel dilemma traveling with animals....the "Coach" is the best way to go. Have fun and keep all of us posted....Newfoundland....wow....used to live in Wisconsin and toured from Quebec to BC....love the Banff area and Glacier Parkway in Alberta province. There are soo many wonderful Canadian campgrounds I had visited years ago crossing Canada from Quebec to BC. Enjoy.
Bev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenfc View Post
Looks like I should check-in here.
I do drive an RV and solo unless you count my dogs. I'm kind of new to RV'ing, had a tent trailer 25 years ago when the kids were young. I never thought about getting a MH until last year, I had traveled across Canada several times on business and pleasure but had never been to Newfoundland. I retired 16 months ago and started looking into exploring Newfoundland, not the easiest place in NA to get to with two big dogs who have never been in a kennel or airline approved carrier to get stacked like luggage. They are used to traveling 12-15 hours in my van but we take a pee break every 4-5 hours. Shortest ferry is 6-8 hours, the boys could do it in the van but then trying to find hotels/motels that allow 2 big dogs and a smoker not easy. Turned out easier and cheaper to buy a used 1996 Maverick 29' on a Ford E350. The dogs slept through the ferry ride. Even though it's a 96 "Fix Or Repair Daily" I didn't have any problems. After 4 weeks, 3000 miles, 16 campgrounds, a few fields and 2 beaches, it is the only way to really tour Newfoundland, meet the locals and get lost in the beauty of the "Rock". I just got back from 3 weeks touring southern Quebec and eastern Ontario another 3000 miles with no major problems. Buying a MH was the best decision I've made in years.
bevnicka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #739

Hello

Hi all - I am a newbie solo rver. I just got my unit in May and have been taking little trips around Alberta to get used to her. I hope to go to Mexico at some point in the future, perhaps with a group or other solos. I am really having fun with it.

There is a lot of great info on this site so I will be checking in regularly.

Lynn
2012 Pleasure Way Excel TS
Spumone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #740

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard irv2 and the solos forum Lynn. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 AM   #741

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome Lynn!

There are some good folks around here. Enjoy.

mangy dog
Old 07-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #742

Welcome Lynn!

Tags
kz-rv