Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #1219

Solo Rvers Club
Welcome, Orson! Alaska by RV is one of the items on my bucket list (I flew to AK in the 70s but, haven't been back since). Lots of RVers trek to AK each year. Some travel in organized groups, some with informal groups, and some go solo. Get a copy of the current "Milepost" and, sign up for the mailed newsletter the AK travel office puts out. I've been impressed with the Roadtrek units I've seen but, I would advise you do several local trips once you have your new wheels before heading so far afield. If you don't have a good amount of RVing experience, I would STRONGLY recommend you attend an RV Boot Camp. You'll be amazed at how much you can learn in a short period of time. When you return after a great RV trip, your enthusiasm might be contagious enough for your husband to catch the RV bug. Stranger things have happened. Again, WELCOME!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #1220

Appalachian Campers
Welcome Orson;Hope you enjoy this informative forum:Happy travels
Spudwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #1221

looking forward to the journey

hello,my names cj. going to be heading down to Reno from Milwaukee Wi. in November this year, i can't stand the cold anymore,lol.I'm a mechanic by trade,and am looking forward to meeting many new people, if you seen my profile,you will see i have quite the unique rig,lol.if any singles read this and want to chat, drop me a line here, on my way down i will be checking in daily,
looking forward to all the beautiful scenery along the way,hopefully take some pics,and a few short videos.thank you all in advance.cj.
daytonadale8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #1222

Signing in on this Solo Thread

If this is not the right location to sign in, someone please guide me to the correct location.

The way it looks now I will probably be headed to AZ by myself this year. I've been going down with a friend for the last 5 years but the friendship was dissolved after last years trip.

I'm a 70 year old guy that's been RVing for the last 22 years. Doing it by myself will be different and probably lonely, but last year was cut short by each other's personal tensions. So alone can be better than with the wrong person.

I'll probably be leaving WI early January unless I get the itch earlier. I MIGHT entertain the idea of someone (lady) traveling to AZ with me, but would be after figuring out if we would be compatible for a couple of weeks. I don't rush to AZ anymore, stop and smell the roses or see whatever I can and haven't done before.

Well that's my introduction, Thanks Ernie
erniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #1223

New solo rv'ers check in here!!

I looooove Alaska. I hope I get to go someday. Always wanted to explore the wild outback of Alaska. I call Pahrump, Nevada my fulltime home but I hate the summers here, to many bugs and it's just to hot. But the winters here are perfect weather. I like somewhere up North like the Washington Oregon coastline during the three hottest months of the year. The Columbia river gorge is in fact my old stomping grounds and it is among one of my favorite places in the United States.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #1224

Fleetwood Owners Club
new to RV'ing as well as solo RV'ing (obviously ;-) )

Hi all,
I'm not new to being solo- i've been single by choice for a few years now. (in my early 40's, was widowed 4 years ago, and now single for the past year and liking it just fine.)

Solo RV'ing is going to suit me just fine, i think. I'm currently based in the CA bay area but can work remotely at my day job about 80-90% of the time (I'm a mechanical engineer at a solar energy company). My passion is my music, I'm a bass player, and travel a bunch for music stuff- it's going to be awesome to have the RV for that.
I'm sure there are a ton of things I'm going to have to figure out how to do, but I figure that what communities like this are for! I really don't know squat about RV'ing, but I'm resourceful and if I can read the directions, I can do it, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Any advice from the solo gallery? <smiles>
have a great day,
-k
bassgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudwrench View Post
Welcome Orson;Hope you enjoy this informative forum:Happy travels

Thank you for communicating. I do not know how to use this website. I receive a notification that someone has left a message, but when I get into the site there is no direction on how or where to find the msg. I'll keep trying to figure this out as I can tell there is a great group of people connected with this site.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 AM   #1226

got my 2016 Jayco on Sept 1st, never had an RV before

Hi all, I posted earlier about being afraid of taking this big step, buying an RV, now known as the Gypsy Lair, never having had one, but those fears are pretty much gone.
Went to a near-by park (I live near New Salem, IL) where they were having a bluegrass festival. Met the most wonderful people, all who were to help this newbie with all the intricacies of RV-ing.
I am trying to get as much practice before I head out west to Seattle for a wedding in Oct. The concerns for this trip revolve around the fires in MT and WA, not to mention the snow storm which yellowstone park is experiencing. I am taking a friend along who has never seen Yellowstone, but am thinking we may have to table this experience...
I thought I was being so wise in taking my time in buying this RV, but now I find I overlooked one major issue, what to do with the rig in the winter. I live in central IL (imagine I moved here from Miami FL, but I entered widowhood 7 yrs ago at age 60 and after 26 yrs of being hot, a move was necessary, plus having family near by is a big draw, and finding a place in the country where I could have a studio, have always lived in the city...)...
so do I winterize and let the rig lay low til spring or do I consider moving it to warmer climes near a airport so I can fly and get on the road...have considered building a shed of some kind, but that just seems daunting. I live on six acres, so I have the room, but with that $$$, I could fill up the Gypsy Lair a bunch of times and go...dear me.
How hard is it winterize this rig myself and then de-winterize it if I feel the urge to go and the weather is looking decent?
Anyway, I am very glad to be part of the RV family. Am sure I will figure this all out, very energizing to be on this huge learning curve. Almost as good as getting a NYT puzzle done in less than 30 minutes!!! Cheers!
Gypsykane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #1227

Solo Rvers Club
Welcome, bassgirl! There are several solo female-oriented RV groups so, if you want, you'll have lots of company (SOTF ~ Sisters On The Fly are one of the larger groups). As an RV newbie, the best thing you can do is to find and attend an RV Boot Camp. Escapees, RVSEF, FMCA, RV~Dreams, and others run RVBCs. The Escapees often run theirs over a weekend. LOTS of good information packed into two days (sometimes 2.5 days). Mistakes with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. At RVBC, you can learn from other's mistakes! Mark Polk at RVEducation101.com has lots of good information and, a series of DVDs available that cover most of the topics done in an RVBC. I was able to get some of his DVDs at my local library. I purchased other titles online (disks run ~ $10 ~ $25 per topic). I see in your profile that you have a "vintage" RV. There's probably a dedicated group of owners for your make and model. A little time Googling should find it for you. I belong to several RV groups but, if I could only belong to one, it would be the Escapees RV Club. Annual membership runs about $40 (they run special offers from time to time). I've been to numerous Escapees Rallies and have always enjoyed them. I particularly like the fact that almost all of the seminars presented at Escapees events are NOT sales pitches. The very few that will be a sales pitch are clearly labeled as such and, attendees often receive lunch. With other groups, many of the seminars are really more of a sales pitch than educational. Learn all you can about your RV. Keep detailed notes on what you like and especially what you don't like about your RV. There are SO many different types of RVs out there that these notes will help you when you decide you want to "graduate" to a different rig. Good luck in your travels and again, WELCOME!
Old 09-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #1228

Winnebago Owners Club
DW and I just recently separated and I find myself suddenly solo living full-time in the motorhome we bought just a year ago.

I'm bound to stay here in eastern Massachusetts while we work out the finances and figure out how to disentangle from the business we run together. I hope that doesn't take me too deeply into winter but I suspect things will take longer than I wish so it may be quite cold before I can get out of here and head someplace warmer.

The thing that concerns me the most is handling those stressful situations that are bound to come up now and again, without a partner to help think and keep a cool head.

I try to always look forward and I am very much anticipating the full-time life, but transitions are always hard and sudden and unexpected transitions even more so.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #1229

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
DW and I just recently separated and I find myself suddenly solo living full-time in the motorhome we bought just a year ago.

I'm bound to stay here in eastern Massachusetts while we work out the finances and figure out how to disentangle from the business we run together. I hope that doesn't take me too deeply into winter but I suspect things will take longer than I wish so it may be quite cold before I can get out of here and head someplace warmer.

The thing that concerns me the most is handling those stressful situations that are bound to come up now and again, without a partner to help think and keep a cool head.

I try to always look forward and I am very much anticipating the full-time life, but transitions are always hard and sudden and unexpected transitions even more so.
Allen, I sympathize... I'm in a remarkably similar situation. Not married, but that was the plan. Now just disengaging the finances and living situation. At least we each have our own RVs.

I'd love to tell you a great solution for the handling the stressful stuff alone. I'm so over doing it all myself. I love full-timing, but doing it alone has worn thin. A pet helps, though.

Best of luck to you!
Julie
SKP#136823
RVRollabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #1230

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Julie. It helps to know others at least understand what I'm talking about.

BTW I'm enjoying the onset of autumn more than I have in many years, just knowing I won't have to be here through the whole miserable winter.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #1231

Suddenly Solo in NW Florida.

My beautiful bride of 48 years passed away October 1. We were between motorhomes and planning on a lot of road time with a new unit. Then illness struck. I find it somewhat difficult to plan for being on my own and on the road. But life is what it is.

I am now considering buying a Jayco RedHawk 22j. After much research this unit seems to fit the bill for my traveling. I'm a nut job for cleanliness and order but at 70 I don't have a lot of desire to keep up with a big MH anymore.

My saying for years has been, "Don't look for me in Flagstaff if I come up missing." So. The kids know where to start looking if I don't "Check In" with my adult supervisors.

Hope to meet up with some of you on the road soon.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #1232

Solo Rvers Club
Condolences on your loss, Steve. If you weren't aware of the number of solos who RV, there are thousands, so you won't have to be alone (unless you want to be). If you haven't attended an organized RV rally, I'd recommend you try some. I've always enjoyed the Escapees Escapades. Last year, I caught my first FMCA event and will be going for more. I'm not familiar with Jayco (I have a Dynamax) but, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Jayco owners group. You obviously have a good attitude and, are not yet ready to be a coach potato. There's SOOOOOOOO much to see and do across America; I plan on seeing and doing as much as possible for as long as I'm healthy enough to drive. I hope you do too!

Tags
kz-rv