Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #1

Planning to become a solo RV guy

I have decided i want to travel and live in an RV full time solo. Its always been my dream to drive across the US and i am quite fond of being alone. Though i have been in sales for 25 years and can enjoy a good conversation and i like helping people.

Hard part is i am nowhere near retirement age, so my only income would be from what i can find on the road, or do my self. Amazon Camperforce may be a good option since i don't mind working alone with no interaction, and daily repetitive work isn't bad for 4 months. I used to work the early AM shift for UPS in NY so i would assume Amazon Camperforce wouldn't be any worse.

Thinking i could rekindle my talents in making jewelry and sell it on the road? I think that would be fun for me to do, its been a long time.

My biggest issue is i like to do things right the first time and go all out doing them. So ill need to invest in the very best 4 season motor home (220TB) which for what i want will have me at maybe $3-500 a month, so consistent work is very important.

So being one that enjoys alone time, but is also likable and friendly could i be successful? Is it possible to keep a steady income of 1k+ a month while on the road as solo? Or would i just be working too much to enjoy being on the road?
RIPPER238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

Maybe. There are folks doing it. I think they already have a job that lets them move around. It will be interesting to see what they say.

Are you trying to get out of sales or would you be interested in being in a large territory that was somewhat climate related. If so the outdoor industries might have something for you. Winter in a MH is not fun. Manageable but with a lot of careful management. OTOH following the summer line would keep you out of the real cold most of the time.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #3

Aside from Amazon, there are a number of other short-term employment options throughout the year. Everything from working at Yellowstone National park, to the fall beet harvest in North Dakota to the spring/summer part-time positions at places like Adventure land in Iowa. Most of these "opportunities" provide an RV site plus electrical in addition to an hourly wage.
If you're going to spend $300 to $500 on a rv payment, you need to probably be thinking in the range of $2,000 a month instead of $1,000. Things like food, insurance, fuel, repairs, routine maintenance, wifi, laundry etc all eat away at that monthly gross figure.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Maybe. There are folks doing it. I think they already have a job that lets them move around. It will be interesting to see what they say.

Are you trying to get out of sales or would you be interested in being in a large territory that was somewhat climate related. If so the outdoor industries might have something for you. Winter in a MH is not fun. Manageable but with a lot of careful management. OTOH following the summer line would keep you out of the real cold most of the time.
That's good to hear.

I actually really like helping people (that's how i look at sales) so i wouldn't mind continuing, and a large territory would be great if i could RV. I really don't mind the cold, actually i like it quite a bit. Just want to do what i have always wanted to do and travel and be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Aside from Amazon, there are a number of other short-term employment options throughout the year. Everything from working at Yellowstone National park, to the fall beet harvest in North Dakota to the spring/summer part-time positions at places like Adventure land in Iowa. Most of these "opportunities" provide an RV site plus electrical in addition to an hourly wage.
If you're going to spend $300 to $500 on a rv payment, you need to probably be thinking in the range of $2,000 a month instead of $1,000. Things like food, insurance, fuel, repairs, routine maintenance, wifi, laundry etc all eat away at that monthly gross figure.
I was looking into Yellowstone National park too, looks like another great opportunity. Seems there are quite a few options, i would just have to be willing to deal with the gamble and possible inconsistency's. Ill bump up my $$ needs as you noted, i don't need much but its better to have too much then too little when it comes to $$$.

So somehow i need to find a job that requires traveling with spans of free time that pays ~35k a year before taxes, or have cumulative jobs that equal the same.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most jobs for camper work force pay minimum wage--and many require you to pay some towards your site. Many expect the rv site will provide 2 workers as well. Amazon jobs are winter seasonal (Oct thru Dec 24) and average about 9 or 10 bucks an hour. Sweet potatoe harvest....maybe 2 or 3 grand for 2 months but that is it with them until the next year. Best seasonal jobs are wait staff that earn tips. You work the high traffic vacation areas during seasons. As has been mentioned, rv's are homes on wheels and you need to budget for "home repairs." An air conditioner can cost over a thousand dollars not including labor if you don't do it yourself. Labor hours for rv work from a low about $70 hr for mobile rv tech to about $125 for rv dealer shops. You may have to pull in and get diagnosed for a problem and then wait days for parts before getting installed. If you are staying in a vacation season area you could wait days just to get an appointment for service. I was in MT this summer and waited a week for an rv tech get to me to trouble shoot my ac. Then it took another 9 days for it to ship by freight from KY to MT. Then another 5 days for the tech to get back and install. Luckily I had another ac working but in 90 degree heat one ac in a 40 foot motorhome did not work very well. I suggest you read all the various forums you can and get a good idea of this life style. I took 3 years to search for the right coach before I pulled the trigger. I full time. Almost 3 years now. I bought a service plan for my unit. It has come in handy but it cost $4500 at the purchase and I have spent about 5 grand since on repairs tires, etc. Take the time to get educated on the life style, types of rv's, and jobs out there.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPER238 View Post
...So somehow i need to find a job that requires traveling with spans of free time that pays ~35k a year before taxes, or have cumulative jobs that equal the same.
Just to put this in context:
That is $16.83 for a full time 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year position
Never mind the the "spans of free time"
Best to find something you like to do and do it. Might have to adjust the budget down to be more in line with what one can expect to earn.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:

Thinking i could rekindle my talents in making jewelry and sell it on the road? I think that would be fun for me to do, its been a long time.
I can't help with most of your questions, but since you mentioned making and selling jewelry are you aware of the website www.etsy.com? Lots of folks selling crafts type stuff including jewelry.

Good luck!
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
Most jobs for camper work force pay minimum wage--and many require you to pay some towards your site. Many expect the rv site will provide 2 workers as well. Amazon jobs are winter seasonal (Oct thru Dec 24) and average about 9 or 10 bucks an hour. Sweet potatoe harvest....maybe 2 or 3 grand for 2 months but that is it with them until the next year. Best seasonal jobs are wait staff that earn tips. You work the high traffic vacation areas during seasons. As has been mentioned, rv's are homes on wheels and you need to budget for "home repairs." An air conditioner can cost over a thousand dollars not including labor if you don't do it yourself. Labor hours for rv work from a low about $70 hr for mobile rv tech to about $125 for rv dealer shops. You may have to pull in and get diagnosed for a problem and then wait days for parts before getting installed. If you are staying in a vacation season area you could wait days just to get an appointment for service. I was in MT this summer and waited a week for an rv tech get to me to trouble shoot my ac. Then it took another 9 days for it to ship by freight from KY to MT. Then another 5 days for the tech to get back and install. Luckily I had another ac working but in 90 degree heat one ac in a 40 foot motorhome did not work very well. I suggest you read all the various forums you can and get a good idea of this life style. I took 3 years to search for the right coach before I pulled the trigger. I full time. Almost 3 years now. I bought a service plan for my unit. It has come in handy but it cost $4500 at the purchase and I have spent about 5 grand since on repairs tires, etc. Take the time to get educated on the life style, types of rv's, and jobs out there.
Totally agree, its kind of why i am leaning new and higher end to reduce the chances of a major issue in the beginning.

Doing a ton of reading and watching peoples videos. Taking in all the negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Just to put this in context:
That is $16.83 for a full time 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year position
Never mind the the "spans of free time"
Best to find something you like to do and do it. Might have to adjust the budget down to be more in line with what one can expect to earn.
Problem is i do like what i do now, but doing it affords me no time, no life, no new experiences. If i could just buy an RV and find a place to park it at no cost i would be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
I can't help with most of your questions, but since you mentioned making and selling jewelry are you aware of the website www.etsy.com? Lots of folks selling crafts type stuff including jewelry.

Good luck!
Thank you!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Buying "higher end" doesn't necessarily mean getting a more trouble free unit either.
Bought the present rig (2009 Country Coach Magna) with about 45,000 miles on it. 2,200 miles later it dropped a valve in #6. Cost was over $33,000 with us paying over $22,000 of it and Cummins paying $10,400 of it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Buying "higher end" doesn't necessarily mean getting a more trouble free unit either.
Bought the present rig (2009 Country Coach Magna) with about 45,000 miles on it. 2,200 miles later it dropped a valve in #6. Cost was over $33,000 with us paying over $22,000 of it and Cummins paying $10,400 of it.
Totally agree. Should have clarified new as well.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
I have decided i want to travel and live in an RV full time solo. Its always been my dream to drive across the US and i am quite fond of being alone. Though i have been in sales for 25 years and can enjoy a good conversation and i like helping people.

?
There are a lot of people with the same idea. And because of that there is a lot of competition - even for volunteers and public and private rv parks. They also want a spouse with you to do some work. This will get worse as more people retire.

If you don't have the money to do without working on the road, you will be in trouble.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
There are a lot of people with the same idea. And because of that there is a lot of competition - even for volunteers and public and private rv parks. They also want a spouse with you to do some work. This will get worse as more people retire.

If you don't have the money to do without working on the road, you will be in trouble.
Yeah, there will be more and more retired people doing this. It may even effect the laws more by this big influx. Kind of why i am also thinking now is the time.

I don't need much, but yes that's my concern is i don't just have tens of thousands of dollars laying around to do this with out working, or SS.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #13

I retired 5 yrs ago and have been volunteering as a solo at State and National Parks for a free camp site. I was self employed and did not have a retirement account/401k but was lucky enough to buy a few forclosures and fixed them up and rented them out. I now live on the rental income and soc sec but it is still not enough thats why I volunteer for a free site. There are many of paying opportunities out there as well. Check out KOA. They have their own web site to list your availability and look at adds listed by campgrounds looking for workers.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I retired 5 yrs ago and have been volunteering as a solo at State and National Parks for a free camp site. I was self employed and did not have a retirement account/401k but was lucky enough to buy a few forclosures and fixed them up and rented them out. I now live on the rental income and soc sec but it is still not enough thats why I volunteer for a free site. There are many of paying opportunities out there as well. Check out KOA. They have their own web site to list your availability and look at adds listed by campgrounds looking for workers.
Hmm, I'll probably get some heat about this...but you said, "I now live on the rental income and soc sec but it is still not enough thats why I volunteer for a free site."

But I can't help noticing you own some rather new'ish equipment:

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
2011 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide

Just thought it was interesting.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo