Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sad to admit...

I have dreamed the last five years about traveling fulltime. I now have to face the fact that it most likely is not going to happen. I worked all my life and in the last several years I decided when I retired i wanted to travel and see some of the things i had to pass by because of work or military service. Well after two divorces, one of witch went very well, there is very little left of a lifetime of working. This last divorce I went into it with three homes and came out with a motor home. She got two and the bank got one. So that took a lot of cash that I was planing to use. Now I have my SS and two other checks to carry me through the month, but still I find it hard to put back enough to stay on the road. ..I have been able to travel for 8 months, but that's not enough...I guess there is always the loto.....
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
mjp

National RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
FATMANAR, you hang in there. As I'm sure you already know how to make it through tough times. Having hot chow and hot coffee means the day is going well.

Safe Travels
Old 02-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp View Post
FATMANAR, you hang in there. As I'm sure you already know how to make it through tough times. Having hot chow and hot coffee means the day is going well.

Safe Travels

Look at this way...Any Day you can sit up and put your feet on the floor, and put your pants on is a great day.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS
ANY DAY on the sun shine of the grass , is a good day !
W9WLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Or another way to say it is: "Any day above ground is a good day!!"

I am sorry to say I also know what you mean about divorce and not ending up the way you planed or worked for :-( !!!!!

Remember: LIVE, LAUGH & ENJOY !!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
the reason divorce is so costly is because ITS WORTH IT
brianj
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Heartland RV Club
Don't give up Fatmanar! There's lots of in-between. Maybe you can snowbird or take shorter trips or camp host or ? There are as many ways to do this as there are folks doing it. You'll find a way that satisfies the $ aspect and your desire to be out on the road!
We'll look forward to seeing you out here, whatever that looks like for you!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
As one of those who never expected to live this long (whether due to Military or work related events), I can relate. Heck, I measure the day's highlite as waking up somewhere other then a Hospital bed. Everything after that I can handle! You hang in there, sounds like you're tough enough to handle it.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
the reason divorce is so costly is because ITS WORTH IT
brianj
Roger that brother, I'm on my 5th wife. Some of us are slower learners.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are two things I fear. One is that my first, and present, wife will divorce me, and second is that my second wife would not.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Longer stays, one six pack instead of two, areas that are cheaper ($350 a month for an RV spot around here). You will be surprised how far that SS check will go when it is stretched. Now just let's hope the Govt. doesn't take it away.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
FATMANAR I have seen your post. Hope you can resolve issues. I am doing my first workkamping job. Not a lot of work and besides spot a little money. Could this work for you?
maggieboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Fatmanar,

Don't even think about your dream being over or it will be!!!! After I got divorced since it was not my idea, I thought my whole life was over! I mean everything I had worked and planed and talked about for the past 30 or so years just fell apart!! However like other problems in life I did what needed to be done I kicked myself in the butt, and told myself to get it togeather and get on with your plans! So I got a good grip on my bootstraps and pulled myself up and forward! Yes I am not doing everything I wanted to, since I ended up with less then 1/2 the money I thought I had! However I am doing most of it, and for that, friends and health I thank the Great Lord above everyday!!

Remember: LIVE, LAUGH & ENJOY!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well i have sat down and tried to figure this out. I appreciate all the kind words and life is still good even if it's at a slower pace. I have full hookups where i am now for free so this is giving me a chance to put back a little and figure out a schedel that I can enjoy. Raceing season starts next month for my best friend and his sons and so i have set money aside to travel to a couple of those races. I have a friend who has made a couple of trips with me and she is still interested in making a few more. The last trips worked out well enough for me to concider that again. We have traveled about 8 thousand miles together and not killed each other yet. But i do like my alone time with my dog.. But all in all it's going to work out and as soon as the VA gets rid of this C I will be back on the road again...Thanks again for the thoughts and Happy Trails to all of you....
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Fatmanar, You can do anything in the world you want to do, you just can't do it all, no one can! even the worlds richest can't do everything. pick and choose wisely. remember pets and people are the true benchmark of happiness. hope this helps and make it a great day!!!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote