RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
SOLO camping and that strange lost love of alone time?

I'm not a full-time SOLO RV Camper and have only done that road trip a few times living out west. Back then we PPC Match Shooters would arrive to review our gear and to get some alone time to focus.

Another time was just doing it to be away alone. Love the smells of night air and morning cool air is the best by far. Got some good reading time in. Spectacular night skies of the stars away from the Campfire pit. Warm coffee in the morning lite and the first time I saw a sidewinder snake move along in the sand sideways. OH yes, this well, in fact, all locations were in CA & AZ north of Yuma, as for YUMA, AZ near the dunes but not in them. El Centro, CA, up by the San Antonio River following North into the Salt and Sea. Not really sure and never asked why it moved North and not south. We were about 180-feet below sea level. I was once informed that YUMA comes from an apache word "Yo Mama" witch meant the Town of "rising smoke." The Territorial prison was in Yuma and the fish was cooked and smoked. I hope you all enjoyed my sharing that bit of useless knowledge. Looking back I do miss the private time and trust me when I say NO one came passing by. truly some alone time and it keeps calling like a lost love. hard to find the words to explain the feeling of the quietness as if kept captivated by a lost love.

Want so badly to show my wife, but then you have to be alone. Funny I know that will never work. It's just something I felt and sometimes calls. Do you solo folks, well I know you do? Have you found the words or a book that can explain it better?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #2

Not sure what you mean with your post, but yah, I have been alone most of my life (meaning living alone and never married) so it's no big deal to me. I don't think I would be able to adjust if someone was suddenly in my life. I like to do things at my speed and I don't like being told where I can and can't go or how long I can stay in each location until they get bored or whatever. I could never give up my independence. My siblings have plenty of kids to carry on our legacy. Usually it's progressive liberals who don't want to bring kids into the world, but I am a staunch Conservative and I do not. Crazy..

Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

It is a calling.
Some understand it.
Some never will.
How do you describe feeling small and insignificant and whole and full at the same time?
Itís the same sun that shines on all of us everyday.
The stars have always been there.
I have decided to live the rest of my life finding joy.
Which means simple pleasures like when I was a child and smelt the ocean for the first time.
I guess itís kinda like tying to describe falling in love for the first time.
It will be awhile before I can go full time.
You just canít stop passion. It canít be denied.
Best wishes ~
Old 11-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudge View Post
It is a calling.
Some understand it.
Some never will.
How do you describe feeling small and insignificant and whole and full at the same time?
Itís the same sun that shines on all of us everyday.
The stars have always been there.
I have decided to live the rest of my life finding joy.
Which means simple pleasures like when I was a child and smelt the ocean for the first time.
I guess itís kinda like tying to describe falling in love for the first time.
It will be awhile before I can go full time.
You just canít stop passion. It canít be denied.
Best wishes ~
You had mentioned that you are not full time. I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach when I have to leave (I am not full time yet, and don't even have my own RV. I use my friends). But the feeling that down when I have to go back to civilization takes some of my wind from my sails. Every time I go out I do not want to go home. As I get closer to retirement it is harder and harder to come home. (4.5 years left until I am 45 and can retire) .. I end up going through the money I have now and try to make it work so I never have to go back, but I always end up short so I still need to work another couple years. Putting in about 15k to my 401k for 6 years (for he companies amount to be fully vested). Started two years ago almost. But that extra 90k + whatever the 2024 value is (I get about 15% per year on my investments) will do me just fine. I will be able to retire with that extra cash. I was going to retire before getting my current job, but I couldn't make it work, so I came out of retirement to work that last 6 years so I will be 100% not to use the $$ all up..

But yah, I almost DON'T come back every time out, and I end up getting pissed off because I have to so I am not going out as much now. I have about 4 weeks of vacation I can use so I will save that for next summer. I was wanting to get my own 5'er so I don't have to keep using my friend's. When I am out there boondocking/fulltime it's going to be the greatest day of my life every day, knowing I don't have to ever come back and work again. Sure, I might get bored sometimes but who cares.. Not having to come back will be the greatest feeling for me.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post
It's just something I felt and sometimes calls. Do you solo folks, well I know you do? Have you found the words or a book that can explain it better?
There are many threads on IRV2.com that I simply can't relate to. Fortunately, this is not one of them. I know exactly what you're talking about.

I've spent hours at a time looking for a suitably dark place to lay down and look up at the night sky. Billions of stars in every direction, most of which are actually galaxies containing billions of their own stars. The possibilities are endless. Anything could be out there. Maybe there's life out there. Maybe it's doing the same as me; looking out into the vast sea of possibility, wondering if anybody is looking back. It's those times, when I'm pondering the vastness of our universe, that I feel most connected to it. Billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars, each with planets of it's own, and here I am on this lonely little rock out in the far reaches of a minor arm of a spiral galaxy. We are a practically insignificant part of the universe. That makes some people feel small and lonely, but it makes me feel great and larger than life to know that I'm a unique part of such a huge system.

I don't get the same feeling from other people. I could be the coolest guy at the party, but it's just not the same. There's people trying to talk to me. There's someone who wants to dance. There's noise from the street, etc. I'm there interacting with other people, but not really connected to anyone or anything. You have to be comfortable enough with yourself to truly be alone in order to get that deep feeling of connection with something. That's why I love my motorcycle so much. Even in traffic, it's just me and the bike. No radio, no phone calls, no dual zone climate control, no heated leather seats with adjustable bolsters... Just the rush of the wind past my helmet (because always wear a helmet), the sound of wildlife, the smell of environment, and the feel of the sun on my back. There's something raw and visceral about riding that you just don't get in a car or truck. You're immersed in nature rather than just driving through it. Sure, it's nice to have AC and someone to chat with when it's 90 degrees outside, but it's just not the same. The world is better when experienced alone. Make it your experience.

And I just realized that in all my rambling, I never answered the question I quoted. I guess, no I don't know of any way to better explain it. You just have to be there and experience it yourself. I suppose it feels different to everyone, but you'll know when you feel it.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #6

Itchytoe, I agree 100%. There is something about doing what you love and being alone so you don't have to worry about sharing the telescope and explaining everything because you're alone and already know pretty much everything you're looking at. I am the same way. I have a 12" dobsonian, but will probably replace it before I leave because it's about 5.5ft tall and weighs a LOT. Will probably go with 8" reflector on a tripod. Something I can store, and that does not weigh 100lbs.

I have that pretty much right now, but I still have life issues to deal with so I can't fully enjoy myself, but I am getting close! Also, I won't be alone. I will have a cat and dog with me I am sure they won't bug me about "hey what's this or what's that??"
Old 11-12-2019, 04:32 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
In all the questions I have asked, this is truly where everyone has been on topic. Each of you in your own way gave clear answers to my posted question "BEING ALL ALONE" and why it pulls at us.

YES, I am a married man who truly has found my soul mate if that is what you call the joining of TWO PEOPLE. We're coming up on 35-years together.

When I was single I crowded around a lot and was content being away from people a lot. I so understand the Money post, (by Pyropete) and Riding a Motor completely surrounded but still being alone crazy be true. As for you Inchtoe, man you should be a writer, your alinement of words and how you capture things and put so much into each sentence. For anyone to put anything into words there is a construction that goes on as to how we tell the story. Think of a bent neal as the content of the words together. The writer is the hammer shaping them for others to understand. It's an art to laying the structure for others to understand.

Like this "Inchytoe",
Quote:
I don't get the same feeling from other people. I could be the coolest guy at the party, but it's just not the same. There's people trying to talk to me. There's someone who wants to dance. There's noise from the street, etc. I'm there interacting with other people, but not really connected to anyone or anything. You have to be comfortable enough with yourself to truly be alone in order to get that deep feeling of connection with something.
Try the BLOG Section in this FORUM, write about an adventure. Something you can truly relate. Then after say two types of stories that you have truly lived. Write something, but let the reads know its fiction and not nonfiction. Good Luck and remember there are few out of the many people who can write a story, others would want to read.

Good stuff everyone thanks for the great feedback from each of you.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
for me being alone is like kids i hate both been with the wife 20 yrs if i want to do something she does not want to do well call the girlfreind thats what they are for.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
for me being alone is like kids i hate both been with the wife 20 yrs if i want to do something she does not want to do well call the girlfreind thats what they are for.
heh.. Yah, after I hit 30 I decided that it would be too late for me to have a kid so I didn't marry a lady or have a kid. I didn't want 45years old to roll around and still having a kid that was 15 years old and that needed me there, or a wife to need me there. I have had a lot of girlfriends in my life and NONE of them wanted to do what I am going to do. Except for one.. Kind of.... But she had two kids. We wouldn't have been able to leave until I was 50. She didn't want to full time though and wanted to keep a home base house. I don't want that. I just want to leave and never come back. Parents will still be alive so I WILL come back while they are alive, but once they pass I am gone

Tags
camping, solo