Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I'm wanting to know if anyone has checked out any of the Solo RV clubs that I've previously mentioned in these postings. EScapees Solo, Loners On Wheels, Wandering Individuals, RVing Women, etc. I know that a lot of you have voiced an apprehension at traveling by yourself out on the road. These groups give you the opportunity to travel with like-minded individuals who love to travel. The Escapees have sub-groups called BOF or Birds of a Feather that encompass everything from fishing and boondocking to less run-of-the-mill interests. Waiting to "run into" someone of interest usually doesn't work, as it doesn't work in "regular life". Getting out there and meeting others is the only cure to loneliness on the road. And being single, we are usually considered a 5th wheel, so to speak . . . so the solo groups are usually more accepting. I hope that you will consider looking into these groups, expanding your friend base and your horizons in our wonderful lifestyle, if you do not want to travel alone. The bottom line is - get out there!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I am a member of a Good Sam singles club and also Escapees Solos BOF. The two GS singles clubs in Texas need more members. I travel with them usually once a year. I have been a member of the Escapees solo group for 3 years and never been able to travel with them. They have not had a function in Texas.

I do not belong to LoWs because I do not agree with their policy where a male and female cannot travel together. It would be nice to have someone to share the trip and the expenses.

I don't travel full time but I have met several people who do and sometimes they travel with a group and sometimes they venture out alone. I hope to be able to travel in the future but it sure would be nice to have friends to travel with me.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #3

I have a friend that belongs to one of those clubs... I just forgot which one. I thought maybe it was LOW but... she has a lot of fun, meets a lot of people, and said to me once, "When the whole bunch are singles they act like kids... the couples are too reserved and old acting"

I think singles clubs laugh a lot.
I probably wont join one, not that I don't have sense of humor, but I get enough people energy just walking around talking to strangers and then when I'm finished I just worm my way back into my dark rv cave and read or watch tv. Besides, clubs are the same people all the time.

Just my view
Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #4

I'd say your friend is right, although I've seen some couples in some of the groups get downright childish! LOL! In a good way. It's nice to have the option of being in a group. When you make friends in the clubs and you go the same route sometimes, it's nice to know you'll run into a friendly face!!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #5

I am an active member of RV Women and Women RV-ers but have not managed to get to a GTG or rally yet. Hope to attend one in Penn in the fall...

IM

PS Like Barbara, I found the LoW policies offensive and demeaning to an adult population...JMO...
IslandMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #6

LoW

Ah - singles groups. Although I did meet some nice, fun people at the Low-Hi ranch in Deming, and enjoyed the Tuesday afternoon lunches at the Pink Store in Palomas, I will have to agree that their policies are antiquated and that the majority of their membership are much, much, much older. Not that there's anything wrong with being old - it's a state of mind. But I'm speaking not only of age but of opinions, policies, etc. Their latest newsletter asked for suggestions as to how to bring in younger members. I wanted to write them and suggest that they "loosen up" . . . but I'm sure that wouldn't be received well. LoW was originally created to be a support group for lonely RV'ers . . . it was never meant to be a "singles" group - so even though people do meet and get into relationships with each other within LoW, that's not the main purpose of the group. And co-habitation is discouraged. It was even worse in the Slabs, where couples who were members were discouraged from parking within the LoW area. I believe FMCA is also experiencing the same problem - an aging, declining membership.

I found WIN to be high energy but cliqueish and juvenile in some aspects, but then that was just one WIN group - perhaps others are different.

So far my favorite groups of folks are the Escapees - Escapee Solo's and the BOF's - Birds of a feather - groups of folks - couples and singles - who share interests in various hobbies or travel modes . . . such as boondocking, photography, fishing, etc.

That's my opinion and is not to be construed as the opinion of IRV2.com!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 AM   #7

Smile Solo RV'er Clubs

several years back I was in Loners on wheels--Way to restrictive-I like to have fun--i'm old, I have a life---so I left them--good sam on the east coast doesn't have any single groups-wish they did.
I would enjoy being in a group of singles,
rich in Va.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Anyone know of a singles traveling group in the Pacific Northwest, say, Oregon or Washington?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Also, are there any of you that have an opinion about Escapees? I'm thinking of joining and would love to hear some experiences, especially any downside, that will help me decide. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Also, are there any of you that have an opinion about Escapees? I'm thinking of joining and would love to hear some experiences, especially any downside, that will help me decide. Thanks.
Escapees (SKP) is a great organization and are one of the most dedicated organizations for RV'ers.

SKPs are a friendly bunch.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #11

SKP's

SKP's are awesome - contact Marty McGrath (sorry - can't find her phone number - but you can get her contact info through SKP's ). She's in charge of the Singles BOF. You will love the group - great folks!!

GM
Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks Dirk and GM -Okay, sounds good. In fact, the more I look at Escapees programs, the more convinced I am to join.... I already belong to Thousand Trails (for camping) and FMCA (for mail forwarding and insurance), and it seems to me that at some point you have to look at duplicated services and opportunities, and balance it all out. But the coop parks for "settling down" later seem too good to be true. And, while moving from A to B, the overnight rates are very reasonable. More opinions? Thanks.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Hey Dirk -- I know who Klaatu is (one of my favorites), but what is NKK?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Hey Dirk -- I know who Klaatu is (one of my favorites), but what is NKK?
Steelhead...
NKK stands for Newmar Kountry Klub
MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote