Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
I travel alone... I like it that way most of the time. It's not so nice when evening comes and even though you've met lots of nice couples... YOUR never the ONE to get invited to come over... three just doesn't work.
I hate this part. One of the reasons I like the LOW park in Deming. You can go to anything and feel welcomed - not like a fifth wheel (no pun intended!). I like to play cards, but get tired of walking into the clubhouse to find everyone playing partnered games. I've pretty much given up on that. I do like to go to potlucks and I've been known to invite other couples to my place for happy hour. It's all about how brave I'm feeling at any given moment :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Dyana, I do know exactly what you mean. I need my alone time. Doesn't mean that I am antisocial; love my time around friends and just hanging out, but there comes a point that I need to 'recharge my batteries'. For me that means no people.
For me as well, Sheila. My favorite recharge is to get in the car, turn the music up and go someplace I've never been before. Hmmm - between my house and my car, I guess I actually get a lot of recharging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I found that no matter how crowded the theater was.. I could easily "Wall" myself off and be alone.. And even if I was the only warm body there... I could be surrounded by friends.
This works pretty well if you don't know anyone. I can easily isolate, not encourage conversation, not go to any events, if I choose. The issue that started this conversation was time with family and friends - lots of them over a short period of time. It's a little more difficult to have alone time when you're with family and friends. I so appreciate the time with them. I just didn't have much balance for several months. Kind of got to be too much. And informs me about how I will plan those things in the future!

And I really appreciate this forum. It's pretty nice to have somewhere to go - even if not in person - where I know that folks are going to have great ideas and thoughts! Thanks again!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #30

I tend to stick to a rather tight circle of acquaintances. Now these can be new acquaintances, or the same group over and over. I tend to be loyal to close friends to almost a fault. When I need time alone, I just get in the car and head out for a couple of hundred miles and listen to my own mind. Then I am ready to re-enter the social scene.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreforles View Post
havn't got a speed yet, but can relate to the lotsof interests, I'm interested in gold prospecting, metal detecting, hiking and beach combing... looking forward to RVing up and down the east and west coast, and prospecting in Colorado, Texas and someday, hopfully Alaska. Ideally would like to set up a home base in a couple areas, put in big gardens and travel around while they grow.
I just moved back from the Outer Banks of NC after 9 years. Some of the best metal detecting on the east coast. Check out the site "Sodapop Pirates" and see some of the good finds from out there. I am Ron in the lineup.
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
There is a "Solo RVers" group, but I can't find it. I click on the icons and it sends me through a revolving door. Also, I don't understand what the group's purpose is, or what the members do.... Is there something to these forum groups? Do they get together for rallies, or send PMs back and forth? It's a rainy day in Oregon, and I'm just curious.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
There is a "Solo RVers" group, but I can't find it. I click on the icons and it sends me through a revolving door. Also, I don't understand what the group's purpose is, or what the members do.... Is there something to these forum groups? Do they get together for rallies, or send PMs back and forth? It's a rainy day in Oregon, and I'm just curious.
If you go to "community," you have access to all of the groups on the forum. Click on the solo rvers icon and you have easy access to all of the members - some 22 of us. If you click on a member, it takes you to their profile. As far as I can figure, that's the most technical thing being in a group does. I tried to figure out a way to maybe send a PM to more than one member at a time - without success. Could be way more and I'm just not proficient enough to figure it out :-) I think the point is to organize like-minded folks, so I suppose we could schedule a group chat, organize a meeting, ? Your guess is at least as good as mine.
Time to lose the rain Steel - I'm headed that way and have had enough rain to last a lifetime. Take care of that in the next week or so for me will ya?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
There used to be a Solo RVers chat night but nobody showed up for it. It was on a night and time when I was taking a class, so I was never able to get on it.

I belong to several Yahoo groups and they try to do get togethers but it is hard when we are scattered all over the country. There have been several GTGs that I really wanted to go to, but they were too far away for me to travel.

We have the area rallies listed. I'm sure we could do something there for the singles like the Escapees do, but we don't usually have that many singles attending.

Talking on the forum seems to work. If someone wants to host a Singles GTG then I guess all they need to do is plan it and post it.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
When I started this full-timing thingy,I didn't know I would be "Solo". My wife of 12 yrs left to take care of her adult son and isn't coming back. Ok,now I'm solo,I love it no one telling me "you can't do this or go there." I guess she really wasn't into living in a RV. It's mine and it's paid for. So what if I'm single,I can still talk to others and still have my space. Ed
1oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzZen View Post
If you go to "community," you have access to all of the groups on the forum. Click on the solo rvers icon and you have easy access to all of the members - some 22 of us. If you click on a member, it takes you to their profile. As far as I can figure, that's the most technical thing being in a group does. I tried to figure out a way to maybe send a PM to more than one member at a time - without success. Could be way more and I'm just not proficient enough to figure it out :-) I think the point is to organize like-minded folks, so I suppose we could schedule a group chat, organize a meeting, ? Your guess is at least as good as mine.
Time to lose the rain Steel - I'm headed that way and have had enough rain to last a lifetime. Take care of that in the next week or so for me will ya?
Consider it done. I talked with my people and the sunshine starts in exactly one week. Just for you.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #37

I do get tired of people every once in a while, but I'd go crazy if I never had any interaction with anyone else.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
I'm a solo fulltimer and love being alone. I do enjoy socializing but for short times, like an evening or maybe a 3-day weekend, but basically I like watching people. So i've discovered that I don't like boondocking in an isolated camp -- I want people around but I don't necessarily want to interact with them. I like working retail for the same reason -- the people don't stay long and it's always different people.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #39

Even very nice people wear thin after a while. I am very allergic to wood smoke. I must hibernate in my completely closed up 5'er if there are any fires going on that send smoke my way. That equates to a fire anywhere in the CG. I actually prefer to boondock away by myself. My dog can run free and I need not worry about smoke.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #40

ralper: I can feel for you on the smoke situation. My late wife (God Bless Her), had C.O.P.D. and could not stand the slightest whiff of wood smoke. She so wanted to join the campfire groups, but it was not to be. So those of you that aren't aware, campfires are a living hell for some folks.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:41 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovableBookLady View Post
I'm a solo fulltimer and love being alone. I do enjoy socializing but for short times, like an evening or maybe a 3-day weekend, but basically I like watching people. So i've discovered that I don't like boondocking in an isolated camp -- I want people around but I don't necessarily want to interact with them. I like working retail for the same reason -- the people don't stay long and it's always different people.
As I was reading this thread, I was trying to figure out how I would describe myself....and the above quote pretty much does it.

I really enjoy being alone and rarely, if ever, get bored. But I would be LOST without my computer.

I enjoy walking my dog around whatever area I'm in and chatting with people.....and then move on.

I also love riding my bike and chatting with other riders....and then move on.
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:20 AM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
I still have a "stick house" but travel quite a bit. When I get tired of people I just go home. I travel a lot with a female friend. She drives and I cook. We have had some great adventures and seen a lot of the country. We did take one trip in my motorhome (27ft) for three weeks. Went home when it got to be close quarters.
Been solo for 4 yrs and learning to do what I want when I want.
maggieboomer is offline   Reply With Quote