Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #1

Towing solo

Hi folks - my first post here (woot)

I'm picking up a new Sunseeker motorhome on Saturday and planning a big adventure this Summer. I have a Jeep Wrangler that I'd love to tow but I'm a little anxious about managing it myself. How do I check that the lights work? How do I manage a situation where I mess up a turn and have to jump out to unhook the toad?

Would love to know if/how people manage this themselves and if you ever regret taking the car along for the ride?

Would also love to know set-ups. I have to flat tow the Jeep and I'm looking at the ready brute elite tow bar + ready brake.
alexisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
How do I check that the lights work? How do I manage a situation where I mess up a turn and have to jump out to unhook the toad?
You can turn on the headlights, and see that the running lights are on. You can turn on the 4 way flashers, and/or L/R.....and see that the toad lights work.

You will learn to not mess up turns....... But if you have to, stop the coach, put on parking brake and 4 way flashers, unhook and move the car somewhere safe, get back in the coach and move the coach to a safe location, go figure out a spot you can hook back up again, walk back and get your toad.

Only takes one of those to make an impression on you. You need to plan your exit, before you ever head into an area.

I'm planning a trip now for the summer, and just looked yesterday on Google Earth a place my wife wants to stop at, to get an idea what the parking lot was like and whether there would be space to turn around (there is).
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been towing on a dolly or four down since 1997, in that time I've only had to unhook the towed twice.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
You can turn on the headlights, and see that the running lights are on.
What are the running lights?
Old 03-31-2017, 09:26 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Similar to the lights on all cars.......when you turn headlights on, you will have other lights on your vehicle (on the 4 corners) which light up dimmer than a brake light. Tall coaches also have 5 lights up top (one on each side, 3 in the middle).

So with whatever you are towing, when the RV headlights are on, and all of the running lights are on, you should have lights on your tow vehicle as well.

Turn signals are brighter, brake lights are brighter.

All of those lights should be tested before you drive, walk around and see that all your lights are working.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First, welcome to IRV2.com and welcome to RV and towing lifestyle!

+1 on using Google earth (or Bing...) to check out any planned stops, campgrounds, etc. for turn radius, trees, other potential issues. We frequently plan to stop at a grocery/shopping mall to pick up food on a trip and it's helpful to check out in advance how we'll enter and how we'll exit.

Also, get comfortable ignoring glares from strangers. If you need to stop to unhook, ignore the others and do what you need to do, carefully and methodically. it's safer, and it's smarter. And you will think twice, and three times, the next time.

It also helps to pick a tow bar package that is quick to unhook and hook back up. We can unhook in 2 or 3 minutes - we've had people comment how fast we can be. Frequently travel solo and deal with hooking up and unhooking by myself when spouse can't travel!

To test the electrical connection, we turn on the hazards (4-way blinkers) before we hook up and thus when we are hooked up, the tow car is blinking also. quick and easy.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:44 PM   #7

Also use mirrors to assure wheels are rolling on toad. You will only see them on a trun so plan on one soon after hooking up. You do not want to tow with parking break on in the toad!

I just was solo today for first time picking our coach up from service. (Wife has cold.) Anyhow I did as above on lights, checked brake by light in review camera, and watched wheels as I turned to get to lot exit.

Tom
Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with using mirrors to check wheels are turning. When we hook up, we then proceed slowly, doing a slow, sharp S-turn and watch in the mirrors that the wheels are turning freely on the toad on both sides. We also watch in the rear-view monitor that the tow bar extends and locks out properly so the car isn't at an angle. Good luck and enjoy your adventures!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:06 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you will seldom, if ever, get jammed up and have to disconnect. If not doubt about going somewhere, don't go there. If you do get in such a situation, just take your time and disconnect. Don't let others rush you.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #11

FWIW I'm going to toss in two more thoughts.

Small electric winches have gotten fairly cheap. If I had a lot of trouble getting in the last foot or two for hooking up I would think about a winch with a hand control mounted on the jeep (easier) and hooked to the trailer hitch.

Remote cameras are also cheap and easy. A second or third one mounted to monitor the towed from a different angle could answer a lot of concerns.

I would not do either of those modifications as a first step but would keep them in mind for after I had a few trips under my belt so I understood either problem better.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I'm going to toss in two more thoughts.

Small electric winches have gotten fairly cheap. If I had a lot of trouble getting in the last foot or two for hooking up I would think about a winch with a hand control mounted on the jeep (easier) and hooked to the trailer hitch.

Remote cameras are also cheap and easy. A second or third one mounted to monitor the towed from a different angle could answer a lot of concerns.

I would not do either of those modifications as a first step but would keep them in mind for after I had a few trips under my belt so I understood either problem better.
I will probably get a second rearview camera - I drove the MH for the first time today and the angle of the camera is good for towing but mostly insufficient for anything else (it didn't stop be back the top corner into a tree, for instance )

I'm not sure I understand the winch piece. It seems pretty easy with the tow bar I'm looking at to just drive up to the back of the MH and hook it up.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:02 AM   #13

The winch thing is that some people have a problem getting close enough to hook up. Basically their issue is judging distance. The winch lets them do the last couple of feet under control and with them watching instead of getting frustrated. As long as you do not have that problem you don't need the winch. That was why I said I would not do either mod until I knew what I needed.

Off hand if you get a camera that works for the top clearance that will be interesting. Somebody has probably done it but I have never seen one. OTOH I can envision how to do it. If I did add one I'd be tempted to do 2. One forward and one backwards along the roof and switchable at the display.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The winch thing is that some people have a problem getting close enough to hook up. Basically their issue is judging distance. The winch lets them do the last couple of feet under control and with them watching instead of getting frustrated. As long as you do not have that problem you don't need the winch. That was why I said I would not do either mod until I knew what I needed.

Off hand if you get a camera that works for the top clearance that will be interesting. Somebody has probably done it but I have never seen one. OTOH I can envision how to do it. If I did add one I'd be tempted to do 2. One forward and one backwards along the roof and switchable at the display.
There are some kits I've seen with 4 cameras, so you can have them positioned where you want. I need to do more research but I think that's probably what I need. It would be ideal to be able to move a camera from the driver's seat but haven't found one of those yet.

Tags
solo, tow, towing