Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #1

What Issues to Expect?

Hi,
I'm recently retired, my sons are off on their own, and I am getting ready to buy a motorhome. I've owned several small TT's but this will be my first motorhome. I will be part time and likely stick to the SE mountains and shore. My older lab mix will come.

I'm intested in any physical/practical issues I may not have considered soloing a 40' motorhome. I've thought through not having a spotter in close spaces but I assume there are many more issues.

Thanks,
Mark
markminnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would say;

Just make sure you have money to repair or at least get your MH home. When you just plan on being part time I don't think you have anything to worry about. Enjoy and good luck!

I've seen many women in DP's and they made it look easy.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #3

My first question would be why you wanted a 40 footer. Around 30 ft you start getting everything you need in a size that works. From there up you are adding extra seating and more space to clean. You are also start running into site limitations in many older parks.

FWIW I have a spotter. To maintain domestic peace and tranquility she is out there, I still drive like she is not. It's easy to get a starting lineup and worth a walk around at that point to make sure everything looks OK. It might take a second look when about in place. Usually I judge how much more I want to move at that time end judge that much in the front.

Done right once parked there is nothing that has to be done with a motor home. You might want to level at that point. Also walk around and plug in the electric. Maybe put out the awning. Otherwise fill the fresh water as part of packing up. Dump on the way out if you are doing a multi day stay. Otherwise manage as needed. Running self contained for water and sewer saves a lot of work and is safer if there is a failure as you can leave the pump off when gone or sleeping thus minor leaks at worst. There is a lot more you can do if you want to or if you are doing an extended stay. Do it at your leisure and desire.

Figure out alternative transportation. You will want a towed or bike or something to get around with when parked. It's a lot easier to park and wander than it is to use a large MH to visit tourist attractions or shop.

Have fun, it's a great way to travel!
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:10 PM   #4

Thank you for your replys. I don't have a great reason which justifies a 40' vs a 30' coach. I like what is offered in the 40. Yes, maintenance has been thrown into the mix. I don't want to tow a Toad or hang on a scooter. I'm riding a bicycle several times weekly now, normally 5 miles and less often 15-20. I am going to try the bicycle for now and maybe a taxi or bus.
Mark
markminnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We traded our 40' Dutch Star DP on the present 45' rig to prepare for going full time. Then the DW died 10 days ago (Aug 21st). Now I'm wrestling with the rig size. I have no problems backing in and getting it spotted where I want, just that I and seven cats don't need that much room. We found that a towed as a must since trying to see the sights in a large MH was almost impossible.
Now, as to what you can expect: Well, anything from nothing to a full engine rebuild! We only had a partial engine rebuild which took all of my 401 ($16,000) plus another $6,000 and Cummins paid about $10,000 of it.
Others could be new tires (I still need to do that), repairs to the satellite system (did that $800 for a new controller), new rear shocks and door repair due to Cummins breaking them during the engine repair (about $1000), inoperable auto gen start (need to get that done), new awning controller ($450), a couple foggy windows ($400 each), leaking drivers window (think I got that one now). Plus the normal maintenance items like transmission filters and fluid ($100 since I did it myself).
BTW, I'll be 70 in January.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I would say;

Just make sure you have money to repair or at least get your MH home. When you just plan on being part time I don't think you have anything to worry about. Enjoy and good luck!

I've seen many women in DP's and they made it look easy.
Lots of school bus and transit bus drivers are women, friends of ours have a 40' DP and she does almost all the driving. No reason a woman can't drive a big rig, they can and do it all the time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
6 weeks into my 2017 Solei 36G and I really like it. 38' which is a little larger than a single guy needs - it also comes in a 36' model. I would recommend it and to special order one rather than taking what the dealer has on the lot today. https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...lei/floorplans
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm a woman about to do a solo cross-country trip (FL-WA) in a 40' DP with a TOAD. I have done no preparation and am brand new to RVing. I expect to do everything wrong.
WheelHausRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:07 AM   #9

I'll be curious to see how you do. I'm about to do a Utah to Oregon trip solo. I'm going to be a little nervous the entire time thinking I'm going to do everything wrong also. One reason I joined this group. If I'm afraid I'm about to ruin something, I can always ask for help.
bsurrounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:20 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whay make, model, and yeat if motirhome?

First off, all the usual stuff. Ensure all servicing of the motorhome are recently completed. Age of serpentine belt? Date on tires? How old are batteries, are are they in good condition? Roof has been inspected and in good shape.

Get a EMS if not already in place. Typically coach net or good Sam.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelHausRV View Post
I'm a woman about to do a solo cross-country trip (FL-WA) in a 40' DP with a TOAD. I have done no preparation and am brand new to RVing. I expect to do everything wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurrounded View Post
I'll be curious to see how you do. I'm about to do a Utah to Oregon trip solo. I'm going to be a little nervous the entire time thinking I'm going to do everything wrong also. One reason I joined this group. If I'm afraid I'm about to ruin something, I can always ask for help.

You can get a 3 camera system, that will help with the backing and the lane changes, so no need for a spotter! And till you get used to it, stop, and get out, and look, a couple of times, when you are backing in, just to make sure! And, if you want a 40' coach, get one! You will find that a 40' DP will turn just as short or shorter than a 32'/34'/36' gas coach, from my experience!

Rail!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I've been driving my 38 footer plus toad for about 5 years, never had a spotter, don't need one. Just a place to unhook the toad unless its a pull through.

I saw the cost of a engine partial rebuild on a 2009, wow, we are getting ready to put mine in for a complete overhaul, its 1992 and that will pay for it. We thought about buying newer for a few slides but then DH said even those could require engine work if not maintained. Makes me feel better that we kept it. The American Eagle is a good coach and the very old ones are built like tanks.

Mine has all the underneath gone over and parts replaced at Spartan, new tires also. We redid the roof after we bought it all the stuff up there is new also. Lots of appliances are too, so after this, should continue being a great old coach.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO 40 feet is a bunch of MH for one person and blocks you out many campsites due to its size. Forty feet even limits from you from some of the small byways at are America.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:40 PM   #14

In state and Federal campgrounds you will be limited with a 40 ft. I was at Ft. Pickens Nat Seashore at Pensacola, FL twice last fall. I am in a 24 foot MH and in walking around the campground, probably half of the sites were either too short (yes, Reserve America lists the length of each site) or there were tree limbs and overhead obstructions that the typically tall Class A's could not clear. Poor camp host was in a very nice DP and had to park crooked on the pad, with a couple of wheels off the pavement to clear a tree in the host space. Host spaces are near the bath houses with dedicated sewer in those sites, so they could not relocate.

Part time solo I would consider a large C or a small(er) A.

Charles