Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:06 PM   #29

......my GF is safe as can be.....she is fat/ugly as ****...geofkaye
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #30

I have actually stayed alone in Wal-Mart and Flying J. I have not felt afraid as I have dogs and park by others. When I am on the road and stop someplace to get something, I alway open the door and say "James, can you come get this" and put the sacks into the motorhome and then climb in. I do something like that when I take the dogs out to walk. In a motorhome, it is hard to see if there is someone on the sofa or back in the bedroom. It has tinted windows, so seeing in is hard.

Also, when driving at night I wear a baseball cap and no one looks twice at a short haired person in a baseball cap, or during the day for that matter. I have a cell phone and bear spray.

When I am towing the car, I know I can hit the panic button from the remote inside and the car alarm will start beeping.

Basically, I try to use common sense and be very aware of who and what is around me. I don't get out at rest areas at night. If the dogs have to make a stop, I go to a big gas station, a walmart or McDonalds or something to get them out.

Oh, geofkaye, never thought of being fat and ugly - maybe I should just get a false beard and wear a pillow for a beer belly??? all in fun!

Barb
Old 05-01-2005, 01:14 PM   #31

Thanks for reply. I will use some of your suggestions. Take care.
msparker505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:26 AM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
I haven't been able to check in on this thread in a while.....boy ya'll have come up with some GREAT suggestions! I admit I've chuckled over a few of them!

It's amazing the things we have to do to feel safe...and not just when we're in the RV's on the road, but just going to the grocery store!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:43 AM   #33

Yes, many great ideas on women or men staying safe on the road or otherwise. Thanks for reply.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #34

Interesting update on my flashing red light "alarm system":

I spent last week in the MH alone at a50% empty rv park, doing some rearranging before heading out for the summer. There were not many rvs close to me, so I was a bit uneasy. As usual, I had my flashing light on at night.

While talking to a neighbor on my last day, he said "I see you have an alarm system. What kind is it? I've been thinking about adding one, but am afraid it is too expensive."

When I told him it cost $2.50, he looked a bit puzzled until I explained what it was.

He said that he had been convinced it was an alarm, and had even discussed it with others who saw the light and also thought it was an automotive type alarm.

Sooooo, as silly as it may seem... if it makes people "think" there is an alarm.... it is definately a break-in deterent.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:39 PM   #35

Good story. I'm going to try and find a blinking red light worn on belt when walking (right) the next time I'm at good ole Wallyworld.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:07 AM   #36

Terrific ideas and comments on this thread. Ever think of keeping an extra pair of size 13 boots outside your front door??

Daisy, the Bichon/poodle 2006 Allegro Bus 40QDP/2003 Jeep Liberty
Lady Nyrtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:07 AM   #37

LOL! That's and idea I haven't considered. Thanks for reply.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:27 AM   #38

The neighborhood that we live in is beginning to deteriorate and there have been a few break-ins. We're just trying to hang in here for another 2 1/2 years until we can hit the road! We've had a home security system for several years so I did some checking and found out that for around $350.00 we can have a small security system installed in our 5th that will be an added "zone" while is is sitting in the drive. That way if someone were to break into it our home alarm would activate and dispatch the police. Then when we're on the road it would operate as a stand alone alarm and work for local activation. Just one more alternative.

Sheri

2005 Chevy 3500 (DRW) Duramax with Allison 1000
Goldenwingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:18 AM   #39

Good idea. Stay safe.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very interesting post. The DW steered me here because I am probably a bit more security conscience than most. The suggestion about the blinking red light is great, my wife has been using an Energizer Flashlight with a "night finder" that is a blinking red LED. She will put this where it is visible from outside..same idea. Previous post on learning to shoot at 50' is a little misleading. Most self-protection is done inside 15', learn to "point shoot" as you can't see the sights in the dark. Shoot at night for practice sometime, without ear plugs, this will get you ready for the noise and flash so you won't be startled by it and drop the weapon (happens). Get the largest caliber you can reasonably handle. GET PROFESSIONAL INSTRUCTION WITH THE GUN so you are a threat to the perp and not yourself.

DW says to climb off the soapbox.
Be Safe
Charlie
Old 05-27-2005, 09:59 AM   #41

You give good advice. I will look into it. Thanks for reply.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:19 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MsParker,

What did you end up deciding?

vr
Charlie