Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 AM   #1

Any BBQ smokers out there?

I have a large wood fired smoker and do some catering during the summer months. Looking forward to towing it to cg's behind the motorhome this coming summer. Always attracts a lot of curious onlookers and leads to catering gigs.
I have lots of recipes and tips if anyone is interested!

Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #2

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

THis is an old butane tank used by the highway dept. I dont use charcoal unless I have a turkey in there. Throw some wood in and light the fire. When its down to coals start cooking. Unless you want some steaks or burgers cooked over the flames.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

THis is an old butane tank used by the highway dept. I dont use charcoal unless I have a turkey in there. Throw some wood in and light the fire. When its down to coals start cooking. Unless you want some steaks or burgers cooked over the flames.
Your link doesn't allow me to view your Facebook page. I've seen some very nice smokers made from old propane tanks. Mine actually started life as a 125 gallon propane tank. A very talented fabricator transformed it into this.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #4

Wow that is awesome I don't even want to show what I use. I just got into smoking last year. Really haven't done a lot. So far only about 12 pork buts and a few racks of ribs. I would love any advice,recipes or tips you may be wiling to share. I use to surf a lot on the smoking meat forum looking for tips and tricks.
Well don't laugh this is what I have

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #5

I would never laugh at what other people use to smoke meat on. I have seen guys with old 55 gallon converted drums out cook people with nicer rigs than mine quite often!
One thing I have learned over the years is that buy the freshest spices you can find. I buy all mine in only the quanitys I know I will use in a 3 to 4 month period. I get them from the Spice House online. Excellent quality and always very fresh.

If you have any specific questions just ask!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:35 AM   #6

[/URL][/img] THis particular picture was the first time I used it for the year. I always burn it out real good. All that old grease sitting in there all winter I dont want that taste in my meat.
Ive had everything on there from Rabbit to turkey. 50 lbs of porks ribs stacked up. Did prime rib, Pork Loins and deer hind quarters. The best is Steaks and burgers cooked over the flame. I know a real smoker has a seperate fire box. This is more of a cooker/smoker. When slow cooking i will shove all the coals to the front and put the meat to the back. The smoke stack is in the back. I have a little trap door on the back side to pop open to add wood.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:24 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
BBQ Smoker

Hey, Up North - what a great smoker! I just started with a Weber Performer Premium kettle after using various propane and charcoal grills for grilling over the years. Have done pulled pork, baby-back ribs and some sausages so far in the smoker, but am a real neophite when it comes to smoking.

My problem is finding a good recipe for good beef sausage (the type served in a good southwest BBQ joint.) Most on-line recipes have so many spices.......

If you could share a good sausage recipe, would sure give it a try. Thanks!
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have a stainless steel Brinkman charcoal converted to electric smoker. We love it. Might not be the fanciest smoker out there but it works great and we use it a lot. Our favorites are pork ribs or a pork butt to pull (that sounds dirty lol) for sandwiches with coleslaw. Yum.

I am interested in how you guys/gals that do beef have it come out. I never had much luck with it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:47 AM   #9

As someone out of the Memphis School of Barbeque, I've found AmazingRibs.com to be the ultimate website about anything to do with barbeque.

Meathead, the webmaster, goes over virtually every grill and smoker on the retail market. He also has sections on cooking and recipes.

Two items he pushes are GrillGrates and Smokenator. Both can go on a Weber 22 1/2" kettle grill and make it as good of a smoker as there is.

Another ultimate smoker is the UDS--Ugly Damn Smoker--made out of a food grade barrel and some Weber grill parts obtained at Home Depot. Google "UDS" or look at Popular Mechanics for instructions.

And as we all know, every real barbequer must have numerous grills and smokers.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #10

I have a small stick smoker, but I have started to use a pellet smoker instead. The ease of smoking on it plus I can pack it with my in my motorhome are the reasons. The stick smoker puts out more smoke taste, but it is a PITA to keep the temps correct.

I also use GrillGrates on my pellet smoker.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
At home I use my MAK 2 Star Wood Pellet BBQ Smoker-Grill and on the road I use my Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett Smoker-Grill.

The MAK 2 Star

The Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett

Old 12-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
anyone using a Lang reverse flow stick burner ?? Bought a Lang 48 Patio Deluxe about 4 years ago. Smoking a turkey this weekend.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #13

Hello Up North. Awesome outfit. I'll be hunting you down this summer and make sure I get a site next door to you. I have the Cookshack Amerique 045. Truly a "set it and forget it" machine.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #14

RedT sausage is one thing I haven't taken the time to get in to so I can't help you there sorry! Glad to see there are a lot of smoking enthusiasts on the board.

Someone asked about beef. I have done many a full packer brisket and they are delicious!
One of my favorites and easy to make is Stout Pepper Beef. It's similar to doing pulled pork
Start with a 3 to 4lb chuck roast. Throw it on the smoker on low heat 225 to 250. Leave it on until the internal temp gets to about 165 to 170. I spray or mop it every hour or so with a mixture of whiskey and beef broth.

In the meantime slice up some peppers and a red onion and put them in a foil pan big enough to hold the roast. Pour a good stout beer over the pepper and onions.
When your chuck roast reaches the 165 internal temp put it on top of the onions, peppers and beer mixture. Cover with foil but leave a corner folded up enough to let some of the moisture to escape.
Put the pan back on the smoker and continue to cook until the roast hits about 200 or so.

When it hits the 200 or so mark pull it off but leave it covered. Let it rest for half to a full hour. Remove the foil and pull the beef just like you would pulled pork.

Put it on a big Kaiser bun with your favorite slice of cheese if you wish!
Enjoy!!