Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #1

Breakfast ideas

Okay we are new to this whoel camping thing. We are going camping over the 4th of July and I was wondering if oyu guys had any ideas for an easy breakfast besides fruit and things like that. We have a little boy so I was looking for somthing that I could make him. Thanks.
racecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you need to sit down with your son and let him get involved and participate in the planning of the camping trip. Let him select or help design a menu. He may want 1 minute oatmeal or scrambled eggs. Camping is a great opportunity to teach your son how to cook. Show him how to use the stove in the RV, assemble and light the portable camp stove and lantern. The camping trip is his too. If making a breakfast your son wants is too much trouble when camping, you can always leave him with a relative or get him involved in boy scouts where he will have the opportunity to learn these things and more. I recall traveling with my parents all over the western US as a child and seldom had a voice in where we stopped, the menu or what sights I wanted to see.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have always liked and it is a big hit with the grandson..egg in a frame. You take a slice of bread and use a glass, cut a hole in the center of the bread. Put some butter in a skillet or on the griddle. Flatten the bread on the pan and break one egg into the hole. Cook for a time and flip it to finish cooking. Also cook the hole at the same time.

Smiley face pancakes are fun too. I like to use a pecan half for the eyes and two or three halves for the mouth.

For an evning treat there is pigs in a blanket cooked over an open fire or smores.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cooking with children can be fun

Learning to cook outdoors (like cowboys and pioneers) is
educational and fun for children.
The advantage of cooking outdoors is space and you keep the inside of the TT/Rv cleaner.
Dutch ovens (cast iron pot with lid) are great
for meals with dumplings and my favorite, fruit cobblers (apple, peach cherry).
Making your own Hobo pack (complete meal wrapped in foil) and cooking it yourself in a camp fire has always been fun for kids & adults.
Teaching children to cook also requires teaching them the proper way(s) of making a campfire, handling knives, and safety procedures.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecamper View Post
Okay we are new to this whoel camping thing. We are going camping over the 4th of July and I was wondering if oyu guys had any ideas for an easy breakfast besides fruit and things like that. We have a little boy so I was looking for somthing that I could make him. Thanks.
How old is your little boy and what does he usually have for breakfast at home? We basically cook and eat the same thing in the rv we do at home,with the exception that we use microwave bacon and sausage as we don't like to cook either in the rv and breakfast is too early for us to fire up the grill like we do for supper. Depending on the mood and how early we want to get out we have anything from cold cereal to instant hot cereal,muffin mix muffins,bacon,eggs toast,bagles and cream cheese,etc. I have never used our rv's oven but bought the biggest toaster oven we could find and use it often.

Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #6

Thanks for all the help. Our little one is only 2 so him helping make something is kinda hard. We usally have toast or fruit at home for breakfast so i guesse will can do that. I was wondering id it hard to cook with a dutch oven. Thanks for all the help
racecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecamper View Post
I was wondering if it's hard to cook with a dutch oven.
It is easy and fun. Check out Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking Page and Dutch Oven Cooking - Survival in the 21st Century sites.
If you don't want to cook from scratch, some simple & easy dutch oven Boy Scout recipies can be found at: http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-sco...ut-recipes.asp
Bon appitete
Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The I-Won Frugal tip of the day was this

When you make pancakes, make double what you need and freeze the excess.... Later when you are in a hurry pop the frozen flapjacks in the toaster, smear with honey and peanut butter once toasted and..... Breakfast to go.

Actually... Sounds yummy.. I'm going to do it.