Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #1

Food Prep in TT

I have to admit that my first three years of TT camping we did our food prep (raw meat, veggies) at home and made foil packets that we could just throw on the Coleman Roadtrip. The TT kitchen was hardly used.

We have a new TT and I'm buying a Camp Chef stove with a grill and griddle and want to up my game. I think this will involve more food prep in the TT and using the kitchen sink.

I'm a little concerned about getting food in the grey tank when washing things off. Any tips for food prep and clean up in a standard TT kitchen?
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #2

I prep my food the same as at home. The only thing I would say is if boondocking you need to manage water. Let the grey tank fill before dumping. I just flush tank before I put camper away. Same as black tank.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #3

Better add. There are no food disposals in a tt. So throw waste coffee grounds and the like in trash not down drain.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

Wipe off dishes with paper towels before washing. They also make sink drain screens that drop into the drain to keep food particles from going down the drain.

Something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Maxware-Stain...s%2C207&sr=8-7
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We fix meals in the RV, just like at home. Thanksgiving and Christmas with all the trimmings. So, you do not have a garbage disposal, use a trash can.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We fix meals in the RV, just like at home. Thanksgiving and Christmas with all the trimmings. So, you do not have a garbage disposal, use a trash can.

So do we. Here's our bacon wrapped turkey breast from Thanksgiving 2018.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tgiving2018.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	250991  
Old 06-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #7

Not doubt about it. I really need to up my game!!
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep, meal prep for us in the RV is the same as at home. I don't worry about the little stuff going in to the gray tank - bigger stuff goes in to the trash can.

Yes I know that food bits in the gray tank will decay and cause the gray tank to stink - but I don't care. I don't plan on drinking out of the gray tank, and I can't smell what's in it. If I CAN smell what's in it then there is a problem that needs to be fixed (which is NOT the fact that some food bits are going down the drain).
Old 06-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Yep, meal prep for us in the RV is the same as at home. I don't worry about the little stuff going in to the gray tank - bigger stuff goes in to the trash can.

Yes I know that food bits in the gray tank will decay and cause the gray tank to stink - but I don't care. I don't plan on drinking out of the gray tank, and I can't smell what's in it. If I CAN smell what's in it then there is a problem that needs to be fixed (which is NOT the fact that some food bits are going down the drain).

X100!!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicView View Post
Not doubt about it. I really need to up my game!!

LOL. If you have a propane oven, they are notorious for heating unevenly. We put a baking stone (available on Amazon) in ours and it really helps keep the temp even throughout. My wife can now bake brownies in it where before they would be burnt on the bottom and raw in the middle.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #11

The DW puts a cast iron skillet on floor above burner. She thinks the bottom part is a perfect broiler.