Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

Homemade pizza on the grill or smoker

This thread is an offshoot of one in the Class A motorhome section called "What Grill to go with?"

Where to start???

Obviously you need a heat source, a very hot heat source. The cooking surface temperature recommendation is between 550ºF and 800ºF. I recommend doing it out of doors because the cornmeal, more on that later, makes a pretty acrid smoke indoors. A pizza stone is important and if your oven top is far from the bottom stone possibly a second pizza stone or steel to reflect heat back to the pizza’s top surface may be necessary. I use a Pfaltzgraff 13" stone I purchased decades ago. It fits like a glove inside my Davey Crockett Green Mountain Grill. Thirdly, you will need a Pizza Peel. I purchased a folding one by Cuisinart to make stowing easier. Lastly, you need coarse corn meal in addition to the pizza dough ingredients. I have gone all in and purchased the real Italian pizza flour. I have also used bread flour with equal success.

I have been making no knead bread for quite a long time because it was the only way I could come up with to make bread in the limited space of my former Class B motorhome. It made sense to go with no knead Pizza dough since it makes the process simple and especially delicious. Baking Steel just happened to have a great recipe. No knead bread dough is so forgiving don’t get real excited about anything other than the ingredients and their weights. You can keep the dough in the refrigerator for up to five days. It continues to become more sour in flavor.

Before beginning to pound your dough out I recommend you get all your ingredients laid out. I mean chopped and measured out so there is no guess work as you will need to work quick.

Everything I know about shaping pizza dough besides what I have learned from experience came from this video. What I will add is to pound the daylights out of your dough. Also I can’t stress enough if you want a round pizza keep forcing it to be round and especially to start with a round lump of dough. I would continue pounding your dough until it nearly the size you want before picking it up to stretch it. I don’t toss, although I have, but simply pick the dough up to find and stretch out unusually thick spots. This stretching seems to really cause the dough to understand you are its master. I put it down on the floured board one final time for inspection and shaping before putting it on a pizza peel heavily covered with coarse cornmeal . You don’t need to completely cover the peel with cornmeal mostly you will still see the peel.

Now it is time to dress the pizza with your favorite ingredients. You have all the ingredients laid out on the table in advance, right?
At this stage you are working against the clock. You have somewhere between 3 and 5 minutes before the dough starts sticking to the peel. Many well directed hands makes quick work and adds to the fun and excitement. If you dally too long the pizza will stick to the peel and you are in trouble. As you work occasionally shake the pizza side to side to keep the pizza from sticking. Begin with the pizza sauce, we love Classico Traditional Pizza sauce that comes in one pint mason jars. Spread it fairly thin because if you use too much you will see moisture on the board when you cut the pizza. Too much moisture leads to non-crispy crust. We use 5 ounces of Mozzarella cheese, finely chopped sweet onion, sliced black olives and a covering of pepperoni. We lay the pepperoni out on a dinner plate to facilitate quick and even placement. Obviously use what ever ingredients you enjoy.

Now head to the oven and slide the pizza off with a quick but gentle jerk. We expect our heavily loaded pizzas to cook in about seven minutes with a beginning surface temp of 650ºF. If there were less ingredients like Pizza Neapolitana it would cook in much less time.

We divide the Baking steel recipe in half and this produces two 11” pies. We split one and have a salad on the side. We each could easily eat a whole one but also enjoy having it for a second dinner. I reheat in my preheated Green Mountain Grill set at 400ºF for around 10 minutes. Reheated in this manner it tastes almost as good and surprisingly almost better the second night. Maybe it just is easier to savor the flavor without the excitement.

Bon Appetiti! But watch out, the mozzarella is really, really hot. I mean hotter than anything I have ever bitten into.

While I was finalizing this post I heard a vehicle drive up, it's nearly 8PM, it was the USPS delivering my latest piece of pizza gear, a pizza stone cleaning brush. It will help to sweep off the pizza stone between pies. A lot of the cornmeal actually ends up falling off.

Please feel free to chime in with corrections, omissions or your favorite recipes and techniques.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #2

photos of today's pizza

Here are a few pictures from our pizza cooking experience this evening.

Image one is a heavily cornmeal covered peel. Image 2 is the dough pounded out and ready to stretch. Image 3 is Pizza #1 and the fourth is of Pizza #2. They always aren't perfectly round.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
thx for these detailed posts ... my mouth is watering :-)
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #4

I bake sourdough bread regularly at home and pizza on my blackstone pizza oven. I would like to do both when travelling in the motorhome but carring the proper tools would take a lot of room.

You have inspired me to look at this again and see what i can come up with. Fresh bread and pizza would be great while camping.

Jerry

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170628_104245.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	168169Click image for larger version

Name:	20170422_154949.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	168170Click image for larger version

Name:	20140803_173521.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	168171Click image for larger version

Name:	20140803_174002.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	168172
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #5

Yum! So when are you having everyone over for a pizza party?
Old 07-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I bake sourdough bread regularly at home and pizza on my blackstone pizza oven. I would like to do both when travelling in the motorhome but carring the proper tools would take a lot of room.

You have inspired me to look at this again and see what i can come up with. Fresh bread and pizza would be great while camping.

Jerry
Jerry,

Great looking baked goods! In my Class B I used to cook my no knead bread using charcoal and a dutch oven. A labor of love for sure. If you haven't tried no knead bread you really should. Jim Leahy is the popularizer of it with his NYT recipe. You literally don't knead it. Okay maybe a dozen strokes before setting it to rise. The first time you make it you don't believe it will work. I mean the dough is floppy. But wow it turns out really good. I use parchment paper in a container the size of the cooking vessel for the final rise. Then toss the works into the preheated dutch oven.

I do knead my "no knead" pizza dough some. Not on the first mix as it goes into the bowl sticky as all get out. I follow the Baking Steel guys plan for shaping and putting into containers for the last two days. Then it does need some work kneading flour into it right before you start pounding. Otherwise it would stick to the board badly when you are pounding. Next time we make pizza I will post a couple of pictures of the first steps.

My other favorite bread is the Julia Childs "true" french bread recipe. It is as involved as no knead is simple. Watch out, if you follow along with her steps you will produce State Fair quality French bread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
Yum! So when are you having everyone over for a pizza party?
Love to have you over. You will have to fight with the DW over her pizza.
I haven't tried making four pizza since my Davey Crockett only fits one pizza at a time. Been trying to imagine how I would serve a large group. Make one and slice very small and serve, etc. or make four in a row and keep warm before serving. Makes me wonder about buying and hauling around one of the bigger Green Mountain pellet grills.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #7

Ive done no kneads but now i mostly bake Chad Robinsons Tartine sourdough bread. And i bake them in a do also

I do what to try baking in the camp fire. Ive vidoes on breadtopias website where he does it. Takes longer but it works.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Ive done no kneads but now i mostly bake Chad Robinsons Tartine sourdough bread. And i bake them in a do also
Jerry,

Thanks for that tip. I'll definitely check it out. I see the is a NYT food article about that as well.